First wetsuit

Options
FitFitzy331
FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
I completed my first Sprint Tri in early August where I didn't need a wetsuit due to the water temps. Next year I plan to complete 3 more Sprints and my first Oly. The first and last race I expect to need a wetsuit with it being colder, the middle ones I'm unsure about. I was thinking of trying to catch one of the end of year sales on wetsuits rather than renting but, I have never worn a wet suit before.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a first wetsuit? I'm currently thinking of mainly short distance Tris in lakes but I eventually (2017 or 2018) want to complete a HIM, which will also probably be in a lake. I don't foresee any ocean swims but I don't want to rule it out either.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like long leg / sleeveless option. Overall, I hate wearing a wetsuit, but my first one I go a pair with full/long legs and sleeveless on top. I had tried short sleeve and full sleeve, but they were too restricting for movement unless I really bumped up how much I wanted to spend. My first wetsuit I got on Amazon for $70. It's amazing...the only issue is that for races that had super cold water...I had to do some serious arm warm-ups before going in the water because the cold shock severely hurt my swim stroke for the initial part of my swim.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my first wetsuit was a long sleeve xterra, and like daj i found it restrictive. so i got a short sleeve one, again from xterra. but i didn't love it. the lack of sleeves made my arms chafe horribly from stroking.

i eventually sold the short sleeve one, and the learned how to properly wear the long sleeve one. i couldn't believe how i had been wearing it so wrong for so long!!! and so many people too!!

it's really hard to explain, but basically BEFORE you zip it up, you have to probably have it higher up on your waist than you're used to. then after you get your arms in the sleeves, have a buddy really pull the top of the wetsuit to the opposite shoulder, and then the same for the other side. then zip it up. you know you are wearing it right if when you take one arm and drape it over your head to touch your opposite shoulder, and then take the other arm and feel your armpit. there should be no space between the wetsuit and your armpit.

personally, i feel that if you are going to wear a wetsuit, it should always be longsleeve. if a race is wetsuit legal, why would you short-change yourself even the slight advantage of having sleeves?
  • FitFitzy331
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys!

I know that 5mm is the max thickness when wetsuits are legal, but should close to 5mm be the aim? Or should I be looking for something thinner?

Since I live in upstate NY and my legs sink, I was thinking the closer I am to 5mm and increased warmth and buoyancy, the better.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Do you have any stores that sell wetsuits near you? They all fit somewhat differently. Quite a few are going to thicker neoprene in the legs/through the midsection and thinner neoprene in the shoulders for flexibility. Really all the major brands put out great suits and it's just a matter of what fits/what you can find a deal on.

And as Capt_Apollo says read up on the proper way to wear one and it will feel much better.
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both bought full sleeve Xterra Vector Pro suits around this time last year and got great deals on them. Although they were a bit of an impulse buy ("Look, they're on sale! We can pretend they're from Santa!") and we have no basis for comparison, we've both been pleased with the suits we bought.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    i feel like xterra is constantly having 40-50% sales on wetsuits. and don't worry about thickness, as when you buy a triathlon wetsuit it'll be fully legal.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    i feel like xterra is constantly having 40-50% sales on wetsuits. and don't worry about thickness, as when you buy a triathlon wetsuit it'll be fully legal.

@FitFitzy331

You are correct. Xterra always has 40-50% off sales. Just google Xterra coupon code and you will find one.

They do occasionally have their suits on a little extra sale. Right now they had a good sale on last year's models Check this code - CO-ELEVATION. It's supposed to be for a Vortex fullsuit for $139 as a Black Friday offer.
    I couldn't get it because I am in Canada and they were asking $100 for shipping for that. One of the other sales woudn't ship to Canada.

I also went with Xterra for my first suit. It was the $99 entry model sleeveless suit. I've used it for a number of races now over 3? 4? years with no issues. Their online size chart was fine for me. I think that model is usually around $120 now (on sale, listed on their site as $300).

I would like a long sleeve suit and will eventually invest in one but the water here is pretty cold even at the best of times and for the advantage.

As Apollo was saying, you pull the bottom half up as much as you can before putting the top on. Pull it up higher on the ankles, then pull it up like panty hose (becareful with nails, I usually fold it down and grasp the inside to pull up). Get the crotch all the way up first. Then you put the top on. When you get in the water you can grasp the neck, bend over and pull it up as you stand.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    xterra does often have sales, and you can find wetsuits from time to time on gearscan.com if you're patient.

Where in upstate NY are you? There are some decent clubs up here that you might be able to connect with to borrow a suit.

Beyond that, it's really about personal preference at our level. I've worn both full sleeved and sleeveless, and both "work". Due to fit, I prefer the sleeveless, but a different sleeved suit would probably have been more than fine for me.
  • FitFitzy331
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

@scott091501 There was one store in Syracuse (about an hour away) that sold them but they stopped selling them around this time in 2014. I haven't been able to find any other location near me. I am visiting my family on Long Island this week and they have Tri shops so I plan to check them out Friday and see if I can get a good one for a good price.

@3dogsrunning Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to check out that coupon when I get home (company blocks their website)

@jacksonpt I'm just outside of Utica, NY. I heard of the CNYTri group but their practices start before I could possibly get there from work and I think that's the closest group to me. I'll check out gearscan too!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

@FitFitzy331

You are correct. Xterra always has 40-50% off sales. Just google Xterra coupon code and you will find one.

They do occasionally have their suits on a little extra sale. Right now they had a good sale on last year's models Check this code - CO-ELEVATION. It's supposed to be for a Vortex fullsuit for $139 as a Black Friday offer.
    I couldn't get it because I am in Canada and they were asking $100 for shipping for that. One of the other sales woudn't ship to Canada.

I also went with Xterra for my first suit. It was the $99 entry model sleeveless suit. I've used it for a number of races now over 3? 4? years with no issues. Their online size chart was fine for me. I think that model is usually around $120 now (on sale, listed on their site as $300).

I would like a long sleeve suit and will eventually invest in one but the water here is pretty cold even at the best of times and for the advantage.

As Apollo was saying, you pull the bottom half up as much as you can before putting the top on. Pull it up higher on the ankles, then pull it up like panty hose (becareful with nails, I usually fold it down and grasp the inside to pull up). Get the crotch all the way up first. Then you put the top on. When you get in the water you can grasp the neck, bend over and pull it up as you stand.

captain-jack-sparrow-jack-sparrow-pirates-of-the-caribbean-favim_com-234351.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

@FitFitzy331

captain-jack-sparrow-jack-sparrow-pirates-of-the-caribbean-favim_com-234351.gif

i-am-the-captain-now.jpg
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I always need a helper to zip me in. Lots of BodyGlide or TriSwim on the ankles helps with peeling it off too. If there's a flap on the back of the neck, fold it down to cover the zipper so it doesn't chafe.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I forgot to mention - for any lurkers. Technically the Xterra wasn't my first suit. I went with the cheap ($100) wetsuit from Canadian Tire. I swam in it once or twice before the race, not race distance. It seemed fine. Race day was a different story. It was so restricting on the shoulders it got the point I couldn't swim properly. I tried opening the back, that didn't help. I ended up breaststroking. When I got out, I was chafed terribly, especially in the crease behind my knees (it was pretty painful on the bike and when I started to sweat).

I do not recommend. I was able to take it back and spent slightly more on a real swimming wetsuit ($99 USD plus shipping, duty and taxes) and had a much better swim experience.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    just got an email from Xterra. 60% off their wetsuits, use code: CYBERMONDAY