Pace for Training Runs?

Options
larrewl
larrewl Posts: 122 Member
I'm training to run a half marathon in 15 weeks and am in the 2nd week of a 16-week Garmin plan. My fastest 5k this year (May) was 25:36 8:14 min/mi (730pm, about 80 degrees F). My fastest 10K Garmin time (neighborhood run) was 54:38 8:48 pace. According to my Garmin Forerunner 10, my longest this year 9.51 mi neighborhood run was 1:32:13 9:41 pace (with first 4 mi at 10:36 pace with neighbor). I plan to run 3-4 times every week and cross train twice every week. My runs this week have been 3-5 mi ea at around 9 min/mi (not trying to over-exert myself as I've never had a running injury). I plan to increase my long run (and maybe one short run) by about a mile every 2-3 weeks. Does that sound like a good plan if my goal is to remain injury free (assuming adequate stretching and RICE)? I've read the long run should be slow but don't plan to ever run less than 10 min/mi pace before this marathon. What pace do you think I should do each run? 9:30 for the long run and 8:30-9 for short runs? One of the weekly runs is a fartlek. The main thing to me is enjoying running and avoiding injury. Finishing a semi-fast half (under 2 hr) would just be a nice extra. The last (and second) time I ran a half was 15 years ago. Any advice is appreciated. :happy:

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Sorry, just noticed this. About 80-85% of all running should be "conversation pace." That means if you cannot sing the Happy Birthday song without gasping for breath your pace is too hard. Another way to judge is that this is typically 1.5-2 minutes per mile slower than your 5k pace. The EFFORT is the key (how you are breathing) not the stop watch. This is foundational to building your base and goes a long way towards warding off injuries too.

When increasing mileage you want to go by the 10% rule which means not to increase by more than 10% per week about what you are used to running. So if you are running say 30 miles a week for a couple weeks then have a cutback week to 25 you do not have to "start over" with 25

The other 15-20% of your running can be at moderate or hard pace. Typically the moderate will make up the bulk with hard being only about 5% If you run 4 days per week one of those runs can be moderate OR hard
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I sincerely appreciate the advice. Lately I've been loosely following Galloway's walk/running advice too. I might run a mile or two at conversation pace then walk for 40-60 seconds then resume running again. I'd like to remain injury free. :smile:
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    A second vote for 10% increases in the long run and likewise for leaning heavily on easy pace runs as the core.

Depending how often you run I'd say you want 1 or 2 pieces of simple speed work in there as well. I note your caution on avoiding injury and would offer a couple of suggestions that have served me well.
    - Firstly, any speed session should have a couple of kms worth of easy pace to warm up (and a cool down at easy pace is worthy too.
    - Secondly (and you likely know this already), speed work doesn't have to be flat out, teeth gritted, heart pumping out of your chest stuff. It's more about gaining different types of physiological benefit from running at different paces.

Couple of great descriptions of the benefits here:
    http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/TrainingZones.asp
    http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/heart-rate-calculators/hrzone

So I would suggest that adding in some faster sessions once or twice a week will improve your half marathon pace and make the race easier too. I quite like a simple 2+2. That's 2 minutes a fast clip (not sprinting, just comfortably hard) followed by 2 mins jogging, then repeat. 6 of those, following a warm up should take you to 5 or 6kms. Another favourite for me is fartleks, which is great for going on feel.

Another option, is for you to start doing the final quarter of your long run at race pace. I find I get a lot of confidence from that.

sub 2hrs is well within your reach based on your current pace. If you pushed hard you could probably get a 1:50 but I think it's smart to leave that to the next one.

Good luck and I hope you really enjoy it.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Larrewl - how did you do? Can you post a followup?