Your lightbulb moment...

Options
Share what made you decide to start losing weight. Maybe it was a particular moment or maybe it's a culmination of things.

It good to remind ourselves why we are doing this!

Replies

• dougphi
    dougphi Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Been overweight and in total denial (and acceptance) for years. Last summer I quickly realized I could no longer keep up with my toddler. A change had to be made.
  • cobwebel
    cobwebel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My feet started to swell, not just when it was hot, but all the time. That had never happened to be before and it seemed like something was really not going right if my body was doing that.

Then I weighed myself (something I'd stopped doing a few months before) and was 20lbs heavier than my heaviest weight. That was it, I knew it was time and that if I didn't do something now I probably never would.
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am trying to conceive. I wanted the best possible atmosphere for a growing baby and easier delivery for me. Fit and healthy was the only way. Now it's morphed into something I want for me as well. Tired of treating my body like a garbage disposal.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. That day everything clicked and I haven't looked back. It may have been a cumulation effect as well. We lost my son's soccer coach to a heart attack. He was only 2 yrs older than me and not an unfit guy. It really scared the crap out of me. So - here I am. For once I feel like I am really going to make it to my goal. I really have no choice!
  • momar23
    momar23 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It was a culmination of things, we came home from a trip and my husbands aunt and uncle who are 15 years older than me ran circles around us. I just was tired of being fat and self conscious so i committed to start MFP again. I gave myself a goal of losing 40 lbs in 2015 and promised myself I was not going to go overboard on anything, easy changes I could see myself living with. I am down 51.4 in 10 months. And I honestly feel like my life has improved in to many ways to count. I wish I had put some effort into moderation earlier!
  • lesliewynn14
    lesliewynn14 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The "light-bulb" moment came at my teenagers orthodontist appointment. She had two top teeth that were sticking out very badly like fangs and for the last 6 months the braces were doing the work of making space for theses two teeth to start being brought into place. The orthodontist said, "I'll see you again in 8 weeks. You will be so surprised at the difference you will see. It will be uncomfortable but it will be worth it." It really made me think about myself, I could be back here with my daughter in 8 weeks either just the same or I could make some changes and be different. It changed the way I'm looking at my health, now I'm looking at daily goals, weekly goals, monthly goals and my overall goal to get to a healthy weight and stay there for life.
  • Drama74
    Drama74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mine came over the summer. My mum broke her leg and I took her out for long walks a couple of times a week, just to get her out of the house. She weighs virtually nothing but I was so knackered just pushing the wheelchair. My dad, who is 74, was happily ambling along next to me while I was covered in sweat and very, very grumpy. Next summer I will not dread the heat :)
  • rustyquinn
    rustyquinn Posts: 41 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I would have to say my light moment was when a stranger asked when the baby was due.
  • rustyquinn
    rustyquinn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add. it would be a miracle if I was pregnant. I have no ovaries or fallopian tunes
  • beccaweiss14
    beccaweiss14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I realized that my mom wasn't just taking pictures at "a bad angle" of my daughter and myself when I weighed in at 248lbs... That was at the end of May. Now I'm almost to my first 50lbs lost -- then another 50 to go! :smiley:
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Gout killing my feet. Funny but loosing weight also contributes to gout.

Keeping me going is discovering that a 21:3 fasting diet is easy!
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    When I went in for a check-up and realized that I'd put on 6.7 pounds in one year.

Before then, I could attribute the gains as whatever excuse seemed feasible/believable at that moment--there were sooooo many to choose from after all! However, when I looked back after that appointment, reflected on the fact that I weighed more than I ever did while pregnant, I was appalled. It was sort of official...I was one of 'those' moms. Ya know? The ones that had a kid and totally let themselves go, got lazy, was [insert assumptions here]. There was an immediate understanding that if the weight/health wasn't handled...it would only get worse (and harder to get back where I was) the older I got.

I settled on the fact that I wanted to be an active mom for/with my girl, not just a supportive one, and a mom who doesn't/didn't defer when activities happen because I was unsure if I could even DO said activities (running around a park, playing tag, etc.). On a more shallow level...I want to be and feel attractive (to myself) again...I don't want to be the 'fat' mom on the playground with all the Judgey McJudgersons out there raining down shame and disgust. I want to be a fit mom.

I want to inspire and motivate others to be healthier... but I can't do that until I am healthy... and be a continuous role model for my daughter--promoting overall health, rather than skinny.

MFP USW: 216.7 (late Aug, 2015)
    CW: 193.0 (weigh-in tomorrow; so I hope to drop another pound 'officially')
    UGW: 125 (ish)
    Pounds to go: 65+
    Goal date: (projected) January 2017 :smiley:
  • Want2bSlimmer
    Want2bSlimmer Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Having been overweight to varying degrees all my adult life, hitting 50 with worsening arthritis & a new grandson to run around after were all lights on moments for me. I want to be a fun n fit nan & not the frumpy, grumpy one I feel at the moment! X
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of them! Trouble getting my shoes on, sore hips, unable to find decent clothes in my size, avoiding photographs for more than a year now... I think the last straw was returning from a trip to Mexico this summer. I didn't have one picture taken of myself, was sweating like crazy the whole time, felt like a giant, exploding tomato, couldn't enjoy the trip to its fullest because of my weight (got tired quickly, always felt overheated). Then on the plane home I could barely fit in the seat and my ankles swelled up like giant balloons. The weight was getting in the way of my freedom, health, and happiness in too many ways to ignore any longer.
  • SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My ultimate lightbulb moment was honestly just yesterday during Thanksgiving! My husband was snapping pictures of me and the kids and I noticed how big I had actually gotten. I've been on MPF for a while now and I knew I was overweight but I've been slacking and not taking it seriously. Also, a family friend of ours is hosting a New Year's Eve party at their house and I realized how terrified I am for anyone to see me like this! Before my kids I had an awesome body, I loved to workout, and I was adamant about my eating....but two kids later, I just can't seem to stick with it. I love working out, it's just my eating habits that I need to change. I've cleared all of my weight loss history and am starting like it's day 1...I have to do this!
  • Jussilu
    Jussilu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I 'd like to buy clothes I like, not ones that fit. I'd like to look in a mirror, and like what I see. I'd like to be able to catch my 2 year old grandson when he's running. I'd like to get off pills that I take for being overweight. I'd like to be a hot 64 year old!!!!
  • clredfield
    clredfield Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My ultimate lightbulb moment was when I weighed myself the other day and realized I was 200 pounds... And not pregnant. I've hit his weight for the second time in my life and I remember how terrible I felt then. Enough is enough. I have 3 kids (7, 4 and 2) and they need me to be my best. I signed back up with MFP and realized I need others on this journey, so here I am!
  • Greenline30
    Greenline30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 lbs so far, but I'm still the heaviest weight I've ever been (217) What can I say? I just let myself go. My life felt like a disaster, so I just ate my emotions like a fiend to cope. Finally when *kitten* hit the fan (my relationship ended, I moved back home, was forced to start over) I said ENOUGH. I decided to take a go at this weight loss thing for the millionth time, but really take it seriously this time. No shortcuts, no fads, no diets.

My happiness and energy are coming back, and it's nice to see the scale move and my clothes getting looser. I take responsibility for what I've done to myself, and I'm working everyday to change it
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I've ways been big from age 10 and tried every diet & failed.
    In June this year at Dr for annual checkup, she couldn't weigh me on her scales as I was too heavy. I put on 20kg (44lb). To find this out I went to a TNT to use their transport scales. I felt no bigger, and clothes are loose so didn't know.
    It scared the bejesus out of me. So I started researching & saw on Facebook a web site with diet program to quit sugar. The rest is history. Now on LCHF and MFP. Found other 8 week program very expensive to keep subscribing to.

This WOE so good. Now shed 59lb so have lost all that I put on in the previous 12 months plus more!!!!! Cannot believe it's my results I'm logging. Success finally and something that works for me.
  • bluenoser38
    bluenoser38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Greenline, you are so right about how much happier you can feel just by starting to take care of yourself. I'm only 3 weeks and 8 pounds into this, but I've been walking, doing yoga, and eating better - and I've been in such a good mood.

I feel like I'm appreciating everything more. I don't know if I had an 'aha' moment, but I knew I was getting tired and grouchy and apathetic about life, and I knew my weight was dragging me down. I'm feeling more energized and more optimistic, and more confident too.