How often do you eat?

Options
barnumboy
barnumboy Posts: 20 Member
Anyone eat 1-2 meals a day? What time do you eat? This is my 3rd day trying the 2 meals per day as Jimmy describes in "Keto Clarity". I eat breakfast about 9:30am, then have a fat bomb around 2-3 (does that count as a meal?), then dinner about 6pm.

What are your experiences/thoughts on it?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I do midday fasting during this same time frame, without the fat bomb 1-4 days a week. Sometimes dinner is even later than that. I quite enjoy it. I get more calories in the two meals since I'm dividing them less, and it gives me more control over my sugar/junkie cravings. I've also noticed I have less insulin resistance reactions after a time.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I usually have breakfast (but today just grabbed a slice of cheese). Most days I then have 4 snacks, but sometimes more. Last night my kids made gluten free pizza and I had a real dinner with too many carbs. Maybe that's why I'm not eating much today. It's past 6 and I've only eaten 300 calories.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I started at 3 times a day, dropped to twice a day around 1.5 months in (and breakfast was a BPC), and now I'm strictly dinner. It works for me, and honestly I love it. Super convenient and I dont feel like I only got a couple of snacks to stay in my calorie range. I will definitely go back up once I'm in maintenance and have more calories to play with
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Most days I have a cup of water and bouillon cube after my coffee w/ heavy cream and coconut oil in mornings and that holds me off till 12 and I eat lunch then dinner around 6 if I get hungry later at night I'll drink bouillon cup again (just started this).
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    On a normal day, I eat 12-7p. I'll have tea or coffee w/Fairlife in the mornings and a cup of herbal tea after 7p, but my food is crammed into that 7 hour window. IF (with keto) has made changing my life so easy.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I eat a very generous lunch, and a snack at about 7PM. This evolved over a couple of months. If I know I have a lot of physical work in the morning and in the afternoon, I'll take a bulletproof coffee for breakfast and tone down lunch a bit.
  • barnumboy
    barnumboy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I was afraid to do 2x day but after 5 days of it, I have not felt like I am missing anything. I thought I'd get too hungry to be able to stick with it. I do a good breakfast around 9:30 -10am with lots of good fat, then normal dinnertime for my end meal. Reading about IF is very interesting and I would not have been able to manage it other than on Keto. The fat keeps me satisfied and it's unbelievable that I can still workout with so little carbs. My mindset about nutrition has done a 180!
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift, so I have bpc when I wake up. I eat dinner with my family, then pack a lunch for work. I might have another bpc before work, and I usually have coffee on one break. I rarely snack.
  • philmcneal
    philmcneal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    2 meals a day and that's me making gains, although i'm not eating enough despite it being 1k calories per meal lol...
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Weekdays I have coffee with heavy cream for breakfast around 8:30. I eat lunch usually around 2:30, most often leftovers. Busy days I skip lunch with no problem. Dinner is around 6:30 or 7. I have a square of 90% dark chocolate and a spoonful of almond butter as a bedtime snack. No cravings.

Weekends I eat breakfast and skip lunch.
  • newtrack
    newtrack Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    On Monday I started IF as a tests to see if I could even do it and if I did, how I felt. I was amazed on the first day when by 4:30 I still felt fine! I do BPC in morning, 12oz water with a bouillon cube mid afternoon after I walk, around 4:30 I quit fasting and gave either a protein shake or some cheese and pepperoni slices (or something snack-like), then dinner between 6-8, depending on when I get around to it. I don't eat after dinner, my fast starts then and ends the next day around 4:30pm. I ate off plan for thanksgiving and couldn't wait to get back to IF today. All went well. I think I'll stick with this. I love not having to worry about 3 meals! Plus, I've never been a fan of eating breakfast, so that was kind of a chore.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry.

Shoot, if I did that I'd weigh 300lbs! ;)

I find I need to keep my water intake up to avoid fake hunger sometimes.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it is true for my woe. I only eat when im hungry. Most days i have 3 meals & no snacks. Im very satisfied and not earto ng for the sake of it. First time in 40 years!!!!!

Sometimes I won't have breakfast til 11am or lunch til 3pm when brecky was at 8am, and same theory for dinner. I am just not hungry after eating so well for 5 months now. Yes I do have some blowouts, but not everyday. Some days MFP says 800 calories but my %s were spot on. I'm not sweating it. I know I'm a food addict and cannot circum to it.

I now feel like I'm in control of food, not it being in control of me.
  • prairieprana
    prairieprana Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like a small breakfast (an egg with cheese and a cup of black coffee), big lunch, snack before I leave work (so I don't become a snack-monster when I get home) and then a light supper (omelette, salad or a big bowl of salad... Usually one of these 3)

I also drink hot water throughout the day (yep- living the life of an 80yr old woman!)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Typically I have 1-2 meals/day. The usual window is somewhere between 2-10 pm. But I don't sweat the hours, I tailor it to my schedule. As long as I have a long window where glucagon is allowed to chip off from stored fat, maintenance is effortless :) I try avoid any snacking...or «careless calories» which are poor in nutrients.

Curiously enough, I feel more peckish when having CO and cream in morning coffee than when going black. It's a very subtle difference. Like giving the tummy any calories «stirs the beast». I'm very seldom hungry. It's more like «Oh, it's x hrs since I ate, maybe I should eat some». Once I start eating I can pack down thousands of calories :) YMMV.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    I eat when I'm hungry.

Shoot, if I did that I'd weigh 300lbs! ;)

I find I need to keep my water intake up to avoid fake hunger sometimes.

Yes and Yes
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Fasting or intermittant fasting with specific eating windows is a Great tool for health weight loss and energy UNLESS you have adrenal fatigue. If you have adrenal fatigue you must eat first thing in the morning to keep your cortisol midrange. Spreading your protein and fat throughout the day perhaps with some bile salts will actually improve your adrenal health and your weight loss. As I said only if you have adrenal fatigue usually accompanied by peri menopause or menopause or divorce or some other stressful situations. Really fasting has to be tweaked to the individual and adrenal health and cortisol levels need to be assessed. The smart thing to do is just go by how you feel if you feel better fasting then fast if you lose more weight and feel better not fasting and spreading out your fat in your protein then do that. You have to listen to your body. It is been my experience that I need to eat first thing in the morning. I will have an egg with some coconut oil or something very small but just something with a little bit of amino acids and fat so that my body can not stress and I can feel both relaxed and energetic. It also helps my weight loss greatly. When I was younger I did a lot of intermittent fasting and I must say that it worked wonders then. But you have to tweak your body in accordance with where you're at at present.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Previously I would eat 3 meals a day with 2-3 snacks a day as well. I tended toward hypoglycemia and felt like I needed it.
    Now I eat 2-3 meals a day and maybe 1-2 snacks, so I am noticing my # of eating times gradually decreasing (though not always; it just depends on the day).
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have coffee with hwc each morning, then lunch around 2, and supper is at 6 ish. I also eat when hungry, instead of by a clock, now, instead of the all day cravings, looking for satisfaction, and never finding it, from carbage! I'm so not hungry now that when I do have hungry days it feels weird!