Kind of scared

Options
Ok so today I am cleared to eat mushy foods. Funny thing is..I am pretty scared to. Is that normal? I know how bad it hurts to drink to much water, and to put food in that little pouch sounds pretty darn scary to me :-/

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Just take things slowly. Chew your food very thoroughly, and don't be afraid to take a step back if your pouch tells you you're not ready. That said, adjusting to food was a lot easier for me than adjusting to my water intake habits. I still struggle with that from time to time nine months out because I used to be a water gulper, whereas I know I'm good with my food as long as I make sure I take time to chew everything well.

Incidentally, I'm kind of jealous. That first scrambled egg you're able to eat after surgery may very well be the very best scrambled egg you ever eat in your life. :smile:
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    That ^
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was scared every time I introduced something new. But you get better, and more confident at it, with time. I consider a positive aspect of the tool that is WLS...no more mindless grazing...!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and listen to your body. I always try to stop eating a bite too soon than eat a bite too many. You'll get the hang of it, but know that they mean it (especially now while you're healing) that a tablespoon or 2 of a soft food is probably the most you can comfortably eat. Chew slowly, take your time, and stop while you're still feeling good. Good luck!!!
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I would love to offer sage advice; however, I'm right there with you! I meet with my surgeon on the 2nd, and I'm already terrified of soft foods! By the word terrified, I actually mean "TEERIFIED". Hahahha I haven been sick yet and I'm obsessive style focused on "sip sip sip: walk walk walk"...I guess in just finding the next thing to fixate on lol.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had a rough start. Lots of acid reflux, gas, nausea. So the thought of introducing new foods was real. I will say after 2 months I could eat just about anything without worry. I'm 3.5 months out now and my only issue is over eating when I'm not eating out of my 1 cup bowl. I have trouble eyeballing portions, like at restaurants, etc. But no heartburn or nausea or foods to be scared of. (Although I haven't tried popcorn, but that's calorie related. Don't need to fill up on that. ...)
  • Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I am supposed to start purees on Monday, (meet with my surgeon on the 3rd), and I'm pretty terrified too. I have already been struggling with very bad acid reflux and some TMI bathroom issues due to the protein, so I'm torn between wanting to get the heck off these protein shakes and scared of introducing anything new. We will make it!
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yep. I was scared every time I introduced something new. But you get better, and more confident at it, with time. I consider a positive aspect of the tool that is WLS...no more mindless grazing...!

I agree with Sinderstorm - fortunately my stomach did well with just about anything I've eaten since surgery, but it really can be difficult to gauge when you're going to be comfortable to feeling like you're about to explode. It's the difference of one little bite. That gets easier to figure out as time goes on. Try not to worry about the 'what ifs' as you may find you have no issues at all. I will say that switching to food did not fix my bathroom issues. Always an ongoing battle since surgery
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    4.5 weeks out then Thanksgiving day and I really messed up! I have not been sick at all until yesterday and I had my first dumping syndrome. Luckily, my daughter-in-law is a nurse and knew what was happening. I've never been so sick in my life! I literally had to go to bed. I was so embarrassed. I had hosted and cooked for the entire family. I just got released from pureed to soft and I overdid it. Those three extra bites of brown sugar pound cake did me in. I've been back on pureed today. I do not want to do that again!.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, Kim! I hope that you're feeling so much better today!
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    the words everyone shared are the right ones...take it slow, don't be afraid to step back if you body tells you too and I think you will all be pleasantly surprised...I too was obsessive - measure everything...because that one bite too much is the one that hurts, at eight months out it's still that one bite too much that I always regret - training your head is the hardest part <3
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I measure everything I eat lol. I eat NO sweets or greasy foods AT ALL I'm terrified of dumping syndrome. I have done very well at stopping before I even feel full. Thanksgiving was a breeze thank God. I just stayed busy doing sing star with the family and playing with the Grandkids. It didn't even bother me that everyone was eating the amazing food. I felt pretty good when I was the only one that didn't eat to much :-) I did however sneak in 1 very small baby spoon bite of cranberry sauce lol. But I use my 1 oz bowl and a baby spoon to eat, I even chew my mashed potatoes so I'm learning to eat very slow. I have managed to take at least 20-30 min to eat my 1 oz. so I'm not so scared anymore. Thank you all for the amazing advice, where would I be without this group :-)
  • anbrdr
    Options
    I've yet to experience dumping syndrome and it makes me sad.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest..the whole reason I picked Gastric Bypass is because of the dumping syndrome...I feel I need that wake up call that what I just ate is NOT good. Strange I know but I didn't do this surgery for nothing. So I'm for sure using my WLS as a very useful tool :-) But I really am trying not to eat anything that would give me the dumping syndrome...I'm vegan so that helps a lot...but vegans can eat unhealthy as well so I still have to be careful
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I read dumping happens with bypass, not sleeve. Don't know if this is true. But I have never experienced this. (I was sleeved.)
    However, I have a friend with a band, and it happens to her (although mostly now she throws up, not dumps... Sorry to get graphic!).
  • anbrdr
    Options
    I get dumping syndrome, but not with sugar. Fatty meat will destroy me though. No more hamburgers unless I make them myself, or I know it's lean beef. I wish sugar was my trigger for it, would make avoidance a lot easier.