Just for fun I calculated my pre-LCHF carb intake

Options
daylitemag
daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
Just for fun I entered a 'typical' day into my food diary when I am eating "normally." Entering only the carby foods I was up to over 1000 calories and 200 grams of carbs. I did NOT include things like: Pizza, burgers, fries, ice cream, pastry, cookies, rice, beans, potatoes. I only entered bread type products, an apple, beer, PB&J. All of which could easily make an appearance in my daily food intake.

Pretty crazy, given that for the past 6 weeks I've been limiting my carbs to about 15g per day and my total calorie count hovers around 1200-1500.

Has anyone else tried doing this? What kind of results did you come up with?

Replies

• SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can face my own old way of eating carb amounts . But what is interesting is I just googled what the standard recommended amount of carbs is, result is 225-325g a day. If you want to loose weight they recommend 150g a day. Now that's the scarey figures.

My carb intake in the past is history - but this is the professional advice being spruked today - no wonder there is so much confusion out there. Also no wonder people think this WOE is so unhealthy. The figures are staggering.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Prompted by your post, I had a look at older diary entries. I was typically up over 200 grams of carbs a day. While my carbs vary, now I average around 40 grams (including fibre).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    yep, mine hovered around the 200g mark too
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    When I was dieting in March - eating about 1600-1800 calories a day - I averaged 100 grams of carbs a day. Very low calorie days were also very low carbs. Not much difference to now - but I am eating more fat and more protein and a little less carbs, 1600-1800 calories.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    My average was in the 180's. And these days I'm try to stick to 20 net, but sometimes I go over. Before this I thought I could do lower carb by trying to stay around 130-150, but I always felt so tired! And the rest of my macros were about the same. But going VLCHF made the world of difference.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I did this way back after beginning this woe in March. My average was 300! That didn't include candy though. So I figured I was pushing upward of 400 on many days! No wonder I was so unhealthy! I'm happy with 20, or less, now!
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    O.M.G! I had never done this. I really, truly, had no idea. No wonder I was obese and diabetic. How on Earth was I always hungry?

z8odk4v9hytj.png
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    My typical carb intake was about 250. Now I limit it to under 50.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ooh. I am afraid to do this. Especially if I did it on a day when I had a soda or candy, which sadly was a few days a week.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Ooh. I am afraid to do this. Especially if I did it on a day when I had a soda or candy, which sadly was a few days a week.

Same here. :(
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Oh boy! I would eat a box of Lemonheads candy a few times a week. That one box was 105g by itself! Plus I ate bread and some kind of pasta or rice or potato side every night and pizza and just about whatever I felt like. I was able to moderate most foods, but not candy!
    I probably averaged over 200g...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Okay. I did it. This is an estimate of a pretty typical day with pepsi as my treat. Other days might have M&Ms (more fat) or jujubes. I never did eat a lot of fruit or starches, but dinner usually involved rice, noodles, a potato or something like that. Some days might have a coconut flour muffin for a snack.

Breakfast - coffee, coconut milk, 1 egg and 2 bacon
    Snack - lara bar, coffee with coconut milk
    Lunch - 2 eggs, and 2 cups of snap peas
    Dinner - cheese burger, GF bun, ketchup, mayo, 1 c baby carrots
    snacks - about 2 cans of pepsi :s

1900 calories. When losing I eat about 1500 cals, so cutting out pop and bun, and reduce veggies would take me to that. I went to 2000-2200+ calories for a few weeks when I let my carbs rise to between 30-50g, funnily enough I was still losing (but at about 1/2 or less per week) whereas I was gaining on my old diet.... I must be missing some calories somewhere or LCHF increased my caloric output somehow.

About 172 g of carbs and 123 g of sugar. I try to keep carbs under 20g now, and sugar is usually under 7 g.

Fat was 113 g and protein was 69g, so both were within a few grams of my current goals. I found that interesting.

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I just looked way back to when I joined MFP, and was IIFYM counting cals, but not carbs. Mainly averaged betw 160-190 grams carbs per day, from oatmeal, bananas and beers... Now I am less than 50 net most days, unless it is a "social" occasion when I eat more. I never really drank Coke or other sweet drinks much, though.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Oof, my relationship with carbs is so screwed up that even considering that I might eat them leads to a binge plan. I'm just going to back away slowly.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I did it again, adding in the average Jolly Rancher intake. I was averaging ALMOST 500 carbs a day! It's no surprise how unhealthy I was! I quickly deleted it all, not wanting anyone to think that was yesterday's intake, lol!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Oof, my relationship with carbs is so screwed up that even considering that I might eat them leads to a binge plan. I'm just going to back away slowly.

Best of luck backing away slowly. I failed for two months to do so. With only 30 days remaining before I was scheduled to start Enbrel injections I went off grains and sugars cold turkey and that managed my pain within 30 days so I rejected the Rx for Enbrel that at Walmart is about $30,000.00 per year. Keto is working and without any side effect risk unlike Enbrel insert warning so I am sold for life at this point. :)

Point is we have to have something that motive us to break old ways of eating.

Karlottap when I went to the movies I would get 4-6 of the $.25 jaw breakers out of the machine in the lobby and suck on them through the movie. I forget the calorie count but it was huge when I counted the calories so I stopped that action.