General question about muscles activated on squat day

Options
Consistently sore adductors every week after squat day (back squat, front squat, and step ups). Form issues or a sign that something is working? Glute, quad, and ab doms as well fwiw.

Thanks.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Consistently sore adductors every week after squat day (back squat, front squat, and step ups). Form issues or a sign that something is working? Glute, quad, and ab doms as well fwiw.

Thanks.

Totally normal IMO. Muscles responsible for abducting the femurs get taxed as you drive the knees out.

How frequently are you squatting and are you doing any hip mobility work?
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Squatting once per week on 5/3/1. No hip mobility work.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Squatting once per week on 5/3/1. No hip mobility work.

If you have a goal of getting stronger at the squat, I would squat more than once/week.

In my opinion this is one drawback to 5/3/1 but you can always modify it.

More frequent squatting may reduce soreness too.

Add hip mobility work :)
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Thanks SS. I personally feel 5/3/1 is a good place for me to be ATM. I feel if I wanted to squat 2x/week id have to drop DL which is my least comfortable lift right now (want to keep it for repetition purposes).

What is your opinion on dropping bench to add more squats? I would still do OHP with variations. My time for lifing is on lunch break m,t,th,f.
  • Rep4Him
    Rep4Him Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would not drop benching I were you. I'm doing a 6 day modified 5/3/1. I bench and squat twice a week. I also had some adductor issues when I changed to low bar squat and widened my stance. So make sure you are comfortable in your stance and as SS said do lots of hip mobility work.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Thanks SS. I personally feel 5/3/1 is a good place for me to be ATM. I feel if I wanted to squat 2x/week id have to drop DL which is my least comfortable lift right now (want to keep it for repetition purposes).

What is your opinion on dropping bench to add more squats? I would still do OHP with variations. My time for lifing is on lunch break m,t,th,f.

Is there a reason you think you'd have to drop DL?

Consider something like this layout:

Day 1
    Squat 5/3/1
    Deadlift (5x3, 60-70%RM) - light/technique work
    Lower accessory
    Lower accessory

Day 2
    Bench 5/3/1
    OHP (2-4x8-10) 65%RM or so, hypertrophy work
    Upper accessory
    Upper accessory

Day 3
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    Squat (2-4x6-8) 65-75% (low end hyper range)
    Lower accessory
    Lower accessory

Day 4
    OHP 5/3/1
    Bench (2-4x10-12) 60-65% or so, hypertrophy work
    Upper accessory
    Upper accessory

This has you hitting each barbell movement twice/week in multiple rep ranges (DL has no hyper work in this model but you get extra technical practice).

• smittybuilt19
    Options
    Only reason I felt I would need to drop something would be time. I generally get my main lift plus 2 accessories in each day on lunch break (45-50 minutes). That leaves me 10 minutes to eat.

Your proposed scheme would be awesome if I could only get 20 more minutes. The time issue is really what kills any mods.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Only reason I felt I would need to drop something would be time. I generally get my main lift plus 2 accessories in each day on lunch break (45-50 minutes). That leaves me 10 minutes to eat.

Your proposed scheme would be awesome if I could only get 20 more minutes. The time issue is really what kills any mods.

That makes sense. How many days/week can you train?

Depending on your goals you could also do 2 barbell lifts and 1 accessory and still get it done.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Rep- dropping bench was an idea I had come up with from researching bench vs. overhead in "what would you do if you had to choose one." I have a strict schedule that only allows 4 lunch break workouts during the week. My weekend job doesn't have a gym or lunch break for that matter haha.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Rep- dropping bench was an idea I had come up with from researching bench vs. overhead in "what would you do if you had to choose one." I have a strict schedule that only allows 4 lunch break workouts during the week. My weekend job doesn't have a gym or lunch break for that matter haha.

what are your main goals?
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    In all honesty I have lost sight of my goals. I know that should be my first step.

I'm actually very sick of how I look ATM. I'm putting on fat, but at the same time my lifting form and strength is improving and I'm am developing muscle mass. Just about can't button my pants though.

My main goal starting MFP was strictly weight loss. Lost 63 lbs and still looked like *kitten*, story of many. Began lifting and also lost the drive to track accurately. I've slowly creeped up 20 lbs over the past two years. I'll give myself 5lbs of that to muscle.

Sorry for my babbling and pity party. Your advice is always on point and very appreciated.