Accountability group?

Options
I am trying to create more connections with people (in real life and virtual) who are more focused on what they eat, how often they move, and how they manage stress. I am a big fan of Mark Sission, Chris Kressor, etc., but have found regular workouts a challenge, and keeping paleo something more like an ideal goal than any kind of habit. I have consumed a great deal of information about being healthy without actually getting there. I suspect that community has been my Achilles Heel, and regression to the mean the hobgoblin of my life. As I approach 50 I really want to try and increase my connections with those on a similar path, as well as create some level of accountability.

My primary goal is health, which for me means weight loss, gaining strength, and increasing sleep. I am looking to do a quick HIIT morning routine (combination of 7 min. workout, 7 min pilates - using the Wahoo Tickr which should arrive any day, and rowing Tabatas). I am thinking 3 strength sessions, 3 pilates, 1 row a week. Looking to log food, and weight daily, and see what happens. Looking to get a group for motivation, check-ins, inspiration etc...

Replies

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    So, what would you want to see from fellow members?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Other people can be supportive but it won't help you actually commit to making the change. Also, we "Paleo peeps" come in so many variations that there seems to be big disagreements even amongst ourselves. And maybe I shouldn't include myself because I no longer call myself Paleo. But there isn't a name for what I am. lol

Even just changing how you think about making these changes will help. Terms like "want to try" is a red flag for me. You have to "decide, commit, do" and keep renewing that. It's an unending challenge when faced with all the crap food and crap lifestyles that are available to us.
  • Damn_Dirty_Ape
    Damn_Dirty_Ape Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello cindytw:
    When it comes down to it, my goal is to find someone with shared interests and goals, who is looking to connect with on the myfitnesspal platform. Someone who is an avid reader of Marksdailyapplae, and knows who Chris Kressor is, who is doing HIIT and "moving slowly" as opposed to cardio. Someone who is looking to track and share measurable. Someone who share my interest in role of leptin, experimenting with Intermittent fasting, ketosis, supplementation, and other sub areas beyond just general paleo and exercise. I thought this group, based on the name, would be a good place to start.

I also realize that my first post here seemed to have hit the wrong mark, and don't think I came off very well. I seem to be raising red flags for Akimajuktuq. I do believe that building a supportive community can help achieving goals (don't agree with you on that one Akimajuktug - and isn't that the point of the Groups here anyway?), and while I am been doing the paleo thing better and the exercise better, I do "want to try" to increase connections. The thing about community is that you can't do it by yourself, unlike a morning workout.

Anyway, I thought it was worth sending my message in a bottle out there to see what came back.
  • cindytw
    Options
    I was just unclear what you were looking for in members of your group. Do you mean to start a thread here, or make a whole new MFP group? I think you would be best off starting small, like starting a thread for one topic. That is a lot of things in one post and we all probably have varying opinions on each and every point. What is successful to me isn't necessarily to you.

The thing I can say is we ARE very different here in what we each believe is right for us and where we draw our knowledge from. I don't think that is a bad thing, I don't believe in being a diet Nazi! I think your post is too all- inclusive in nature...nobody can keep up with all of that all the time if that was what you were thinking! Break it down into smaller goals and people might want to join you. For example, post a thread about a weekly HIIT challenge...

I know a LOT about this (I am almost 6 years into this) and yet I am definitely not where I need to be either. I do think making connections helps, but ultimately it is me who puts that junk food in my mouth and decides to sit in my snuggly blanket instead of going out for a walk. I think that is what Akimajktuq was saying...Make sense?
  • Damn_Dirty_Ape
    Damn_Dirty_Ape Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not looking to make a different group... and again sorry about my first post, and I would agree with Akimafktuq about junk food. I will probably try again in a bit with another post.
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Your post was fine. I think your last line should be your first in a new thread. You may also want to tell a little about yourself when you set up your motivation/challenge group thread. For example, I love your user name and am assuming you are a man, but I could be wrong. :)
    I am a female also heading towards 50. I am a great fan of marksdailyapple and had a journal on that site for a long time. I have been very successful on Paleo in the past, but have had some setbacks. A check in group would be great.
  • cindytw
    Options
    Nothing to be sorry for it is just unclear to me anyway. Break it down, do small things...it will add more bees to your raw honey I believe!