We don't serve pork!

Options
moonius
moonius Posts: 663 Member
My wife and I were in St. Louis yesterday and went out for breakfast. There wasn't much to choose from so we decided to went to this place called The Golden Pancake. I ordered the breakfast sampler which had eggs, bacon, ham and sausage. When our food arrived I looked at the flaccid bacon and asked the server, "Is this turkey bacon?" She replied, "Oh yes, all our meats are made with turkey. We don't serve any pork. Didn't you see that on the menu?" To which I said with a smile, "But I like pork!"

Since when does a breakfast restaurant not serve pork? Thank God we ate at Cracker Barrel in Columbia, MO today where they proudly serve bacon, sausage and ham made from pork!

Replies

• NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    IMHO Turkey bacon should not be called "bacon" It is a poor imitation of the real thing
  • moonius
    Options
    That stuff is nasty.
  • prairieprana
    prairieprana Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that a place with a specific food-rule like that doesn't make the servers tell customers, "is this your it's time here? This is a pork free restaurant." Turkey bacon is awful.
  • moonius
    Options
    Yeah, they should point that out. I probably would have still eaten there but it would have lessened the shock value!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Considering turkey stuff has a decent chunk more in carbs, particularly if you're lower carb, I'd have been quite upset - and probably just asked for eggs with cheese, like a quadruple scramble or something... Was there a reason they didn't serve pork?
  • moonius
    Options
    I didn't ask...it totally caught me off guard.
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I work for a very large family owned manufacturing facility, and the owners happen to be seventh day adventist so they don't allow any pork to be served in the cafeteria. I make sure to bring my own pork. Lol
  • moonius
    Options
    @TattooedMommy427 - Good idea!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon tastes like fried bologna
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    They shouldn't even be allowed to call it bacon.