Low/No Carb Noodles and what to make with them!

Options
Hi All,

So I just bought a couple of pkgs of kelp noodles (no net carbs) and am tres excited! (Miracle noodles are good but not cheap here in the prairies but these kelp noodles are slightly less expensive at the hippie health food store (to be clear I am proudly one of those hippies! They can take our spiralizers away but they can never take our hemp hearts!!).

With these kelp noodles I plan on making Keto-friendly Tom yum soup (eeeee!) and assuming the noodles taste good I will be buying them in bulk online (seriously a saving of $40 total compared to buying the same amount in a store).

Other than bada$$ Tom yum soup, Stir fries and Keto-adapted Italian pasta dishes, what would you make with these noodles? I am in need of some recipes and want to make sure I'm not just buying a case of noodles bc it's cheaper vs a staple I like to cook with.

Happy Sunday!

Replies

• NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I made shrimp scampi with lots of butter and garlic and used the noodles in place of pasta or rice. It was wonderful. It provided a transport mechanism for the garlic butter.
  • prairieprana
    prairieprana Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes!! That's what I'm talking about!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I needed a LOW carb dessert quick..so I rinsed the Miracle noodles well
    ( wonder if the taste of the Kelp noodle is too strong for this? you'll have to just try it)

..heated butter in a stir fry pan, added the noodles and heated them a couple minutes, added 1/4 C Ricotta cheese ( used for Italian dessert Cannoli) ( very creamy..buy the lower fat version for 50 calories, very low in carbs) and added some sweetener, blueberries, vanilla, blueberry flavor.and it was wonderful.

It was an "emergency" sweet dish that was much more than a small fat bomb, was filling, and the flavoring did all the work. You could do a strawberry/raspberry version, or add cream cheese, or no berries..and sweetener to taste. I ALWAYS cut up the noodles as I swear what you get is a 99' single noodle…so clipping before cooking is best.

I am working on figuring out a baked version, vs fry pan…it doesn't really matter…the noodles give bulk and volume to any dish.

Mostly I steam shredded veggies ( coleslaw, carrots, broccoli slaw) add Miso soup base to the steam water ( has nutrients, dont toss it) and add a package of the Noodles…makes a great soup for cold winter loaded with gut health support via the Miso..and simple to do.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I buy ones that are shaped like fettuccine. After dry-frying them, I'll sauté mushrooms and pancetta in a little bacon grease or butter, add 100-150ml of single cream and 15g of grated italian hard cheese (like parmesan). I let this cook down for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens, then serve with parsley and freshly cracked black pepper. This is not a low calorie meal, but it's bloody worth it!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I buy ones that are shaped like fettuccine. After dry-frying them, I'll sauté mushrooms and pancetta in a little bacon grease or butter, add 100-150ml of single cream and 15g of grated italian hard cheese (like parmesan). I let this cook down for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens, then serve with parsley and freshly cracked black pepper. This is not a low calorie meal, but it's bloody worth it!

Ooooo sounds good.

I have tried zoodles and miracle-type noodles (shirataki type) hoping I could make a sort of spaghetti carbonara with them, as I thought that would be an ideal keto-type meal, but always end up with eggy soup which isn't that nice.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »

Ooooo sounds good.

I have tried zoodles and miracle-type noodles (shirataki type) hoping I could make a sort of spaghetti carbonara with them, as I thought that would be an ideal keto-type meal, but always end up with eggy soup which isn't that nice.

Because they have moisture, you may have more success with adding the cream and egg mixture immediately after adding the noodles and doing it in tiny increments. They don't have that starch to make it thick and coated. As a cheat, I add cream cheese and mix that with my noodles, onion, bacon and cheese. It's not the same, but it's similar. Sometimes I even put an egg on it too. Not traditional by any means, but damn good!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    @Queenmunchy thanks! Good tips!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Experimented for the first time and made a "kind of" carbonara: dry fried the noodles, then, while they were still in the pan, tossed in some tablespoons of powdered grated parmesan and a little salt. after that stirred through two table spoons of cream cheese. I used the powdered cheese because it sticks to the noodles and adds flavour and texture imitating the starchiness of ordinary pasta. Worked quite well.