Looking for MFP friends with PCOS

Options
2»

Replies

• sms7412
    sms7412 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am also looking for friends for the extra support! I was officially diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago, but have been experiencing symptoms for longer than that. I've struggled with weight for a while now and for the last two years I have steadily gained no matter what I do diet and exercise-wise. I recently started a medically managed low carb, low calorie diet and have finally lost weight for the first time in two years! Feel free to add me as I think that having support from others is a vital part of maintaining our sanity!
  • Wannabe150lbs
    Wannabe150lbs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new and wouldn't mind having some MFP buddies too. Would be great to swap recipes because if ANYONE knows the struggle of losing weight, its a CYSTER. I started taking Met after being a guinea pig for more natural ways (Saw Palmetto, Maca, Vitex, Chromium and a few others I can't remember right now) and finally found a combination that I feel is working for me. I never had cysts nor hair loss but I have every other PCOS symptom there is, especially hyperandrogenism. I am currently trying out organic raw flaxseed & spearmint tea in my diet to see if it can tame my wild testosterone and I'll see where I'm at in 3-4 months. Glad to be in this group and hope to be haunting here more often. Feel free to add me :smile:
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and struggle to lose weight.. I had issues getting pregnant with first child but second just happened really quickly (after having lost 10% of body weight)
    I am also married to someone who is a research scientist on.... infertility in women with PCOS!!!!!!! lucky me :wink:

feel free to add me x
  • AlyssaDarby13
    AlyssaDarby13 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I tried to go through and add everybody in this post, but my computer is acting up, so I may have missed a few. If I missed you, or if you're new: Feel free to add me.

I was diagnosed at age 21 when I had a laparoscopy to check for endometriosis. No endo found, but severely cystic ovaries. My hormone levels all seem fine, but I have many of the other hallmark symptoms: facial (and other places) hair, acne, severely irregular periods, fertility issues and miscarriage, depression, etc. I don't seem to have insulin resistance, though.
  • arubamfp
    arubamfp Posts: 7 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am also new to the group and looking for PCOS support.
    Please feel free to add me!
  • looneypumpkin
    looneypumpkin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too. I was diagnosed 11 yrs ago and had my son in 2014. Trying to lose weight to try for #2. (Baby weight is gone)
  • umrebelbelle
    umrebelbelle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would like more friends with PCOS. I found out almost 2 years ago. Last year I was finally able to get some weight off and then the stress of losing my grandmother, holidays and losing my job(which I knew about for 9 months) I put it all on and then some. While I am not working I am putting more back into eating better and working out again. I felt so much better when I was doing those not just for the weight I lost, though of course that helped.
  • andread123
    andread123 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too! I was just diagnosed with PCOS about a year and a half ago.
  • tiffanysotoxo
    tiffanysotoxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS in November, feel free to add me I'd love to have some friends who can relate.
  • whatnadineloves
    whatnadineloves Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I was diagnosed with PCOS by my GP in 2012, but they couldn't find any cysts then. They did a pretty bad job at the hospital, so I am not surprised. Luckily in 2015 my gynaecologist could see lots of cysts on a transvaginal ultrasound and I also had lots of issues with ruptured cysts and in December I had a small tumour removed in my uterus. I gained weight ever since I started having my period, in 2014 I managed to lose 22lbs down to 160lbs but gained 52lbs over the last 20 months. I am now trying to lose as much weight as I can, the first goal being the 160lbs again. I would love to connect to other MFPs with PCOS.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It took 20 years for me to be diagnosed. Since then, I've had doctors tell me I'm lying. It's a frustrating thing to have.

• jillianbic
    jillianbic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I was diagnosed in 2010 with PCOS and my endocrinologist basically said to eat low carb/higher protein and prescribed metformin. However, metformin made me very very sick, glucophage did as well. I stuck to a low carb diet however still had symptoms as I couldn't take the meds. In 2013 I had a personal trainer and I started HIIT and strength training. I was fit but again, still symptomatic with fatigue etc. Very recently I came across research that suggests a dairy free and gluten free diet for PCOS as dairy and gluten are known contributing factors to increasing insulin. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried this route? I'm on day five. I'm willing to try anything to not be sick. Feel free to add me as a friend for support as I find getting healthy and weight loss is not as hard with encouragement!
  • Fhoover
    Fhoover Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me anyone.. I could always use more MFP's
  • tatdhousewife
    tatdhousewife Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I never lost weight after delivering my daughter almost 15 years ago, despite breastfeeding for almost 18 months. The hormones from the pregnancy and delivery ramped up my PCOS to crazy levels. At my heaviest, I was 319. I'm 5'4" tall, and 39 years old now. I'm back down to 245 or so. I'm headed well into OnederLand... I'm following a low carb, high fat, moderate protein protocol at the recommendation of my Endocrinologist, primarily due to my Insulin Resistance, which in all likelihood caused my PCOS in the first place... Feel free to add me.

THIS!!! ^^^ 100% this!!

Our PCOS bodies have tons of trouble fighting with carbs due to us being pre-diabetic all the time. Anything you can do to battle this is key, so talk to a nutritionist, endocrinologist, or naturopath about what kind of low carb diet you might be able to sustain as a lifestyle (think about it as going anti-carb-itarian!). I'm working with a naturopath in Seattle who is AMAZING and has finally brought me to a place where I don't feel insane anymore about my impossible weight loss.
  • jensonbuttongirl
    Options
    Hi, I'm happy to be added as a friend by people :)
    Was diagnosed as a teenager.
  • Kgrady35
    Kgrady35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love to have some MFP friend with PCOS. My friends are all "normal" and it's hard for them to understand my struggles!! I was just diagnosed in August and am on medicine, but still struggling to see weight loss and I work out 6 days a week!
  • 2sexy2bunhealthy
    2sexy2bunhealthy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Im trying to add most of you... But myfitnesspal on my tablet is being difficult.

Please add me! :) i want all the pcos cysters i can get its nothing but motivation
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Please add me too! Is low carb confusing to anyone else? How low for example? And why the heck is dairy considered insulin-spiking when the higher fat stuff has a low glycemic load? Sheesh.

In other news, check out this site: www.pcosdiva.com. Has some very cool new research and interviews with experts.

Also, I recently started a supplement called myo-inositol (I've used the Jarrow and Swanson brands from Amazon) for PCOS, insulin resistance, and weight loss. Helps with fertility too. Read more about it here:
    https://examine.com/supplements/Inositol/
  • Lilfoxieroxie
    Lilfoxieroxie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've had PCOS since I was 15, but my rural doctor just said it was a type of pre-diabetes even though I had a normal a1c. Just now getting treatment at 31. i do low carbing.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @stacicali Personally, I think that dairy is such a trigger, because in it's basic form, it's intended to turn a calf weighing a few hundred pounds into a cow or bull weighing over 2000 pounds, it affects most of us with inflammation, growth hormone type chemicals (naturally occuring), and all of that... They don't even yet understand all the implications of this action. We are the only mammal that consumes the milk of another as traditionally normal parts of our diet...