Flexibility

Mouse_Potato
Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
I broke my wrist about two weeks ago and being unable to workout has been driving me crazy! However, I decided to make the best of it and work on my flexibility during my convalescence. Last night I started Alethea Austin's "Pure Splits" and it was hard, but fun, and I felt like I could make some real progress. Do any of you use DVDs or structured workouts to improve your flexibility? I would love to hear some suggestions!

Replies

• Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    I broke my wrist about two weeks ago and being unable to workout has been driving me crazy! However, I decided to make the best of it and work on my flexibility during my convalescence. Last night I started Alethea Austin's "Pure Splits" and it was hard, but fun, and I felt like I could make some real progress. Do any of you use DVDs or structured workouts to improve your flexibility? I would love to hear some suggestions!

Firstly - Owwch!

Secondly, I cannot recommend yoga highly enough, strength and flexibility - you'll be amazed, after about 6 weeks I just couldn't believe the difference in my abilities. I suffer from osteoarthritis in my knees which is one of the reasons I pole dance (low impact if I stay in control). Are you in Stateside? I'm in the UK and so all of the beginner yoga DVD's I have are produced for this market.

As a student I don't have a lot of money, so I search charity (thrift) shops for discarded DVD's because as crazy as it sounds, I LOVE to collect workout DVD's.

I'm a HUGE fan of Jillian Michaels and her 30 Day Shred changed my body and my self- respect hugely - however her Yoga Meltdowns are NOT a great introduction to Yoga, stick to something that is specifically for the yoga beginner.

The other things you might like to consider is Ballet, because it will link back into your pole when you go back (my pole teacher is ex ballerina, so its a big influence) and Tai Chi, again great for flexibility.

I hope this is helpful and what a great idea to use the layoff constructively.

Good Luck and let us know how you are getting along.

• Mouse_Potato
    I'm in The States, but I can order just about anything it seems. Yoga is a great idea. I will see what I can find. My schedule is a bit too unpredictable at the moment for a class, but DVDs work. I had not considered ballet. I may have to do a little digging online. Thanks!

Oh, four nights in a row of stretching is paying off already! At this rate, I will have at least one of my splits before you know it. :)
  • Songtothesiren
    Mouse_Potato,

Think about checking out the Youtube Fitness Channel - its got thousands of fitness videos
  • Mouse_Potato
    Thanks. I will do that.

8 days now. Seeing definite progress!
  • everett9239
    everett9239 Posts: 31 Member
    I actually have the Athena Austin pure splits and I love it! I do take a flexibility class at my pole studio as well. I have seen HUGE improvements!!!
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Barre and ballet conditioning have greatly improved my flexibility. Barre classes with focus on isolated movement and controlled range of motion have absolutely polished my overall dance performance.
  • Songtothesiren
    Right, that's it - I may be 53 in two weeks time, but I'm going to see if I can achieve the splits by this time next year! I'm so motivated by what I've read here.

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Yoga With Adriene is on youtube for free. She started Yoga Camp on Jan 2, 2016. She has yoga for everything. Her videos are well produced and she's a really good instructor. She post new videos every Wednesdays. Ballet Beautiful is a low impact but intense workout. She has dvds and you can purchase additional classes online for download. Eventually, I want to get my splits, but right now I want to focus on my flexibility overall, balance, and getting better at pole.
  • missyjac
    missyjac Posts: 14 Member
    Maddie sparkle launched a warm up n splits handbook thing on her site.. Might want to check it out too! Currently working on my middles and left fw split and getting the needle... Let's progress together!