nausea

Options
Ok, so how long does the nausea last? On Dec. 2nd I will be 3 weeks post op and im still taking the nausea meds every 6 hrs. Whats strange is, water hurts worse then the 1 oz of mushy food im eating once a day. And it's taking me all day to drink my protein shake..only getting 16 oz or I get super sick.

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It lasted on and off for me for about 4 months. The fluids got easier around 5wks post-op, but I still had to sip all day long for about 4 months.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I didn't have nausea but I struggled with the shake like protein drinks. I finally opted for Nectar protein mix, 100 calories for 23g of protein. It's a water like protein mix and was much easier for me to drink. I would use the timer on my phone and sip every 10 minutes. I think but I'm not sure dehydration can cause nausea. I would contact my doctor if I was still having nausea and finding it difficult to get my fluids down after 3 weeks. Take care of yourself.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    For me, something in the protein shakes were the cause of the nausea. I quit drinking them, but it was extraordinarily difficult to get in all of my protein at first. I ended up adding the non-flavored Isopure to a lot of blended soups and also making smoothies with it in order to get it down, but it was tough.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    There are certain protein shakes that I have had horrible reactions to (GNC Whey Isolate, Isopure Unflavored). I had to keep trying different things until I found one that works (GNC Soy Isolate). I thought it might be a whey sensitivity, but I can have dairy products without issue. Sometimes the gut is finicky.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I got sick to my stomach and crazy headaches from the artificial colors and sweeteners in sugar free jello! I was eating very clean before surgery, and the jello did NOT sit well with me.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Ya my protein shakes are super hard to get down. I don't have very many choices since I'm Vegan so I'm trying my best to make it work. I can eat tofu now so that helps get some of my protein in :-/
  • Lisa51Me
    Lisa51Me Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time tolerating cold protein shakes. Figured out that they go down better for me at room temp or even warmed up.