moisturiser

Options
jmzz1
jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
Just wanted to ask you all for which moisture to use that is pcos friendly?

How do you moisturise your skin?

Replies

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I just use regular lotions - if there's an issue with it I was totally unaware. I'm interested to know if there's something up with lotions that I didn't know. I use it like it's going out of style (just Bath and Body Works and for my face the generic oil of olay).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I know that there are a number of lotions that show to have sugars in them, but aside from that, I just try to use as natural of moisturizers as I can find. I tend to go with something with shea butter, coconut oil/butter, lanolin, etc.

If you late the ladies here know whether you're looking for face, body, hand, etc., they might have more specific recommendations...
  • jmzz1
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am looking for face and body lotion. Is dove nutrium moisture safe to use?
    Olay complete care (for face) safe to use?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I don't think anything is "unsafe" to use, unless it is blatantly obvious. I would avoid anything with soy, and stick to mostly ingredients you can pronounce...
  • jmzz1
    Options
    I asked this question since I read one of dragonwolf post related to using home made soap and shampoo, since I wanted to know if there are chemical which these moisturiser contains related to soap
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yes, I'm sure there are. I'm not a big lotion person... Hopefully she'll chime in here soon! If not, wellnessmama.com is a great resource for handmade items and what's safe and not.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You can have really sensitive skin with PCOS (especially if you are diabetic as well). I stay away from anything with fragrance and usually use lotions (and face soaps for that matter) intended for babies. I use Eucerin for all over moisture, still looking for a good face cream (I have rosacea so that complicates matters)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    jmzz1 wrote: »
    I asked this question since I read one of dragonwolf post related to using home made soap and shampoo, since I wanted to know if there are chemical which these moisturiser contains related to soap

I switched to homemade stuff in an attempt to deal with a bout of eczema that my doctor claimed was contact dermatitis, but I later found it to be more likely caused by wheat/gluten.

In the homemade stuff, the active moisturizing ingredients are the oils used. Often, this is jojoba oil, shea/cocoa/mango butter, coconut oil, avocado oil, and maybe one or two other oils. As Knit said, any amount that absorbed is likely negligible in terms of calories, and is typically used pretty directly by the skin cells, so it's unlikely to contribute to fat storage.

I would be concerned about the other ingredients in the store moisturizers, since a number of the chemicals used in beauty products in general are known endocrine disruptors, and it takes far less of them to cause issues. So, if you go the store bought route, be mindful of the ingredients, and for all products, be mindful of how your body reacts.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I make a mix of raw cocoa butter and unrefined coconut oil. I order them off amazon, melt them together about half and half and pour it into jars. Works and smells great.
  • jmzz1
    Options
    Could you help me out with those chemical that should be avoided as plague!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Check out the Environmental Working Group's database for the products you're considering. It has a breakdown of the ingredients and how much research has been done and the results of said research.

Here's an example of one of Aveeno's old products and EWG's rating: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/468385/Aveeno_Active_Naturals_Positively_Radiant_Tinted_Moisturizer,_Fair_to_Light_Sheer_Tint,_SPF_30_(2012_formulation)/

Also, here's a decent list of the top ones to avoid: http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/top-ingredients-to-avoid-in-personal-care-products.aspx?PageId=2#ArticleContent