FitBit or Garmin? Which model?

Options
My Christmas wish for a gift from family is a fitness device to wear all the time to replace by big old Garmin HR monitor.

There are so many Fitbits & Garmin styles. Reviews and features only have me now confused. so Im asking the group -

What is your choice and model you use and what do you like about it???

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I mostly use mine for running. I really wanted something I could justify wearing all the time. The Samsung Gear S was almost perfect, but the GPS just took too long to sync.

So just today I started trying something new -- a Garmin Forerunner 225. I hate the display, and it doesn't have anywhere near the functionality of the Samsung, but the GPS syncs instantly, the HR works well, and so far, I like it better for running.

So that's a long-winded way of saying there are MANY choices available, and it really depends on the features you're looking for. :)
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR. I purchased this to replace my Nike Fuelband. I liked that fitbit will sync with almost ANYTHING lol. I wanted the heart rate (HR) model out of curiosity because I was working out with a trainer on a weekly basis. I chose the Charge overall because I also wanted the sleep data.. .which according to two friends of mine who have both been in actual sleep clinics.... is quite accurate when set to sensitive.

The interface is friendly and since it seems to be so popular, there is always some around to answer questions. I do not use the food feature... it syncs to MFP, so I use the fitbit data for my exercise, MFP for food/calories.

I did not want a little clip... I know myself and would lose it faster than I bought it :-( When I was looking into replacing my Fuelband, there was an excellent article that compared all the different models side by side.... will see if I have any luck finding it (or better yet, an updated one!)
  • k33h07
    k33h07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Fitbit Charge HR one week ago. I wanted to quit wearing a watch with my Jawbone UP24, and the Fitbit has the digital time display as one of the features. I switched to the Fitbit the first day I purchased it, but I the Jawbone seemed more accurate for the sleep feature. The next day I added the Jawbone to compare. I did set the sleep feature in Fitbit to sensitive and that helped a little, but I still think the Jawbone is more accurate. I've been wearing both for almost a week now. The Fitbit shows about 1000 steps more each day, but I can't say which is the more accurate count.

I like both!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    FitBit One, $99
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've got the basic fitbit zip. The only exercise I do is walking, so a HR monitor would be pretty pointless for me.
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I like the Fitbit. I had the flex, £65 at Costco, it was good, but I didn't like that I couldn't see my steps unless I looked on my phone / iPad.

Then we got the charge HR, £135 at Argos, it is good, I like the watch function & being able to see my steps instantly.

I don't really take notice of my sleep unless I feel like I've had a bad night. Then the display for that on the iPad is good, it makes you think!

Hubby has one too and he really likes the HR monitor, he uses it while exercising and says it's only 1-2 bpm out compared to what his fitness instructor at work says.

We didn't try anything else, we just saw the flex one day and decided to jump in and have a go.

Hope this helps.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone has fitbits so far. Does it worry you it is only Splash proof, cannot wear in shower or swimming :-(
  • angela_carreen
    angela_carreen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit zip and didn't like it. Now I have the flex and love it! If I wanted a heart rate monitor I'd go with the charge.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Surge. Chose it because: 1) Built in HRM--no chest strap; 2) All day wear for tracking all activity; and 3) GPS tracking for running. Sort of a combo between a standard FitBit and a dedicated running watch.

The only annoying thing is that you have to charge it every couple of days (I just hook it up to charge when I hop in the shower and it is usually fully charged by the time I get out, so not really a big deal).

Probably a little unnecessary unless you're doing a lot of outdoor running and want the GPS feature, though.
  • pjdunning
    pjdunning Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone has fitbits so far. Does it worry you it is only Splash proof, cannot wear in shower or swimming :-(

I have the flex. Had it for 2yrs now. I wear mine in the shower and have had no issues. Never worn it swimming.

• budajava
    budajava Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My Christmas wish for a gift from family is a fitness device to wear all the time to replace by big old Garmin HR monitor.

There are so many Fitbits & Garmin styles. Reviews and features only have me now confused. so Im asking the group -

What is your choice and model you use and what do you like about it???

• budajava
    Options
    Hello, UP by Jawbone is the a best activity tracker .
  • budajava
    Options
    Hello, UP 3 by Jawbone is the best
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit charge, wish I had charge HR. I mostly love it. Hate charging it, wish it looked more like a watch and have accidentally worn it into the shower several times.
    This leads to a very comical scene in which I screech, whip off the fitbit, fumble and drop it on the bathmat, grab it, reach for the towel and dry it off all while still in the shower.

Another option is the Withings Activite Pop which measures sleep, hr, steps, can be worn swimming, looks like a watch, and has a watch battery. That may be my next purchase because I own the Withings scale. I know, another option is just what you needed. : )
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit 1 for 3 years - but it only counts steps and sleep.

I started doing serious treadmill and weight a few weeks ago and my old heart monitor was dead, I went to get a plain wrist cheap HM, but the store had a 25% off all products and I ended up getting a Garmin VIvoActive with HR strap [not cheap but they have been on sale recently]. It does piles of things that I like, but requires a commitment to learn all its features. Research before buying it see if its for you. Needs an Android or ios phone/tablet to set up and to see full results- but not needed when using it.

You can buy with of without an HR chest strap - you might want to buy the watch and get a 3rd party heart monitor.

Does general activity, graphs routes, track speed and heart rate along route,handles running/walking/biking inside and outside. Sleep monitor. Lots of free addon/mini-apps/customization - like "find my car"

I'm super happy with it - user forum support is very good, it has a lot of options to play with and takes a week to get it "right" for you.
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin Vivofit. I can swim, walk, (not a runner) and exercise, shower and most everything. I just wish it could change the the type of bracelet instead of rubbery stuff. But I think most all of them have that feature.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget Fitbit has challenges with your friends, which spurs me on every single week. Their dashboard, fitbit forums and customer support are excellent too.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I really love my my jawbone up move. Very basic, very intuitive. If I wanted something more than that I'd go with the charge hr though. Battery life is really what sells me on the move, up to six months on a watch battery. There are nice looking after market wrist straps, mine is in the mail coming to me now.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Good reading everyone's choices. Thanks to you all so far.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will go wrong with whichever you choose. Just think about the features that you think will be most useful to you and I bet you'll love whichever you get as much as everyone seems to love all of their different ones.
    I have the jawbone up24 and it suits my needs but I do think I would like one of the fancier ones that reads HR and time and steps right on it. But since I got mine for under $20 on clearance, I'm not even gonna complain about it a little bit. lol
    My daughter used an Up Move for about 3 days before she just didn't care anymore. It seems just as effective as mine but is a clip type that can be removed and placed into a wrist strap and I've even seen a necklace before. I also found hers for under $20. Which is good since it just sits in a drawer now... :/