I got my surgery date. :)

Options
Canwehugnow
Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
I received my surgery date, less than a month away. I am getting the sleeve done. The only other surgery I ever had was getting my tonsils out at 4... So, I have no idea what to expect. I'm scared, and nervous and super excited all at once.

They talk about the hair loss & that your tastes for foods will actually change... But is there anything else that you all experienced that you weren't warned about?

Replies

• boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Nobody warned me about the pain and nausea. Those 2 days after surgery, I hated my mother who had gone through the same process but did not tell me about the pain - she said its like childbirth, your mind forgets cause you get something wonderful out of it in the end! I was still angry with her but I think she might be right - 10 weeks out from a sleeve and the pain is now a distant memory.

Congrats on your surgery date :)
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yay surgery date!!! Congratulations! I've been VERY fortunate, and my process has been pretty darn smooth. Expect a little pain, but mine wasn't bad. I set my acceptable level at a 4 and the nurses gave me meds if it reached a 5. I thought it would be a lot worse. I was, and still am, very cautious with my body 2 weeks out from RNY, but I've followed the Dr's instructions to the letter (except for a spoonful of fat free ricotta 24hrs early lol). I did find out that the drains were the source of 80% of my pain. I read that on here and it was super true for me! Soooo glad those were out on day 3. Learn high protein low volume recipes. I live on protein yogurt and a shake (3oz oikos triple zero, 3 oz fairlife fat free milk, 3tsp chocolate unjury = 29g protein in just 6oz of food) and I use premier shakes. If I can get those two in during a day, I've met my protein mins and can relax and have a lower protein product like a soup or pudding without sacrificing my health.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful news!

I think the thing that surprised me most was how much I wouldn't want to eat or drink in the days afterwards. Not just "not hungry" but I literally wanted to run away from food. After a week, I finally got over it and started with some liquids, but there's a reason why my surgery was January 19th but I didn't start logging until January 31st. Suddenly, January 31st, I got hungry and ate. That's happened a lot of times since then. I've been hungry and then nothing at all and I struggle to get 500 calories.

Don't be too hard on yourself or too strict. Follow doctor's orders, trust the process, and listen to your body.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your surgery date! I agree with all of the above. I am just over a week post-op. The pain wasn't bad for me and I left the hospital the next day. I had the sleeve with no drains. I did have nausea after I got home and a bout of diarrhea. Do not buy too many protein supplements for after surgery. Your taste will most likely change and you'll end up with stuff you wont use. I am lucky that I had a variety of sample packs and I had many choices. The smell of whey protein sickens me but I force it down. I found Genepro unflavored is easier on me. I am just starting to enjoy yogurt again. Sip Sip Sip on your water. Just remember every day gets a little easier. Call your surgeons office if you have any questions and read and reread all material you were given. Best of luck to you!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Hmmmm...

No one told me about the effects of Morphine. I was completely looped out to the point where I literally hallucinated conversations with my husband in my head. It was hilarious because I would say the last part of our conversation out loud and he'd have to remind me that he wasn't in the loop on what we had "discussed" before that.

I bought way too many food items prior to surgery in the attempts of "stocking up." Nine months later, I still have unused "cream of" soups and sugar-free jello boxes in my pantry. I'd recommend buying a little bit to start, see where your tastes are, then go from there.

Try some protein powder samples in advance. I ended up with four tubs of protein powder, none of which I could actually use because of a nausea reaction to ALL of them. I gave them away to family members eventually.

The pain IS like childbirth - it's there, it's real, it hurts, but it's worth it in the end. That said, move as much as you can because it really does help you recover more quickly.

If at all possible, see if you can sleep in a recliner once you're home. Getting in and out of bed was ridiculously painful, and I only tried it twice before setting up sleep in our living room post-op.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    These are all valid, depending on your body. Everyone gets different side-effects. For me, the first month or 2 was full of the worst constipation/impactions. That was often more painful than the surgery healing.

Not everyone gets dumping syndrome in the same way. I was extremely disappointed to find this out. I wanted that limitation to sugar. Instead, my body chooses to dump when I have too much meat fat. Still the same pain, just a different experience.

I also overdid it on the soups... If you are like some of us, those first 2 months will be pretty much food avoidance
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your date!! I am about a 1week and a half post op. My pain right after surgery was not fun, but by the morning I had stopped using the morphine pump--had very little pain getting up out of bed and moving about (I had RNY). My incisions are healing very well, BUT I am not interested in food at all. I am sooo tired of "creamy" drinks and despise yogurt normally, but have been choking it down with a scoop of unflavored protein because it gets half of what I need in for the day. Unflavored protein powder has been a life saver for me!

Everyone's journey is a bit different..........good luck with yours!
  • Gknee11
    Gknee11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your surgery date!! That is so exciting!!!! Deciding to get surgery was the best decision I have ever made for myself. I am 8 months post op from RNY bypass and feeling wonderful! Good luck on your journey and keep us updated on your progress!!!!