Questions about recomp

Options
Sumiblue
Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
I'm 46, 5'2", SAHM. Currently I do ICF 3x/wk & KB circuit training or HIIT once a week. I've lost 14 lbs & am 3 lbs from my initial goal weight. I'm happy with my progress but want to get leaner. My scale tells me I'm at 22.4% body fat. I know they aren't accurate-I use that data to track progress. Last Feb. it told me I was at 26% bf. I currently aim for 1400 calories and I'm doing IF to help me keep my deficit.
I'm thinking about recomposition a lot. I want to lose more fat, from lower body mostly. I'm pretty lean on top. My arms and back have gained muscle & I'm beginning to see some definition in abs and legs. I'd like to do a more in depth weight routine, like PHUL. I did Stronglifts for a year and just recently added ICF accessories. I think it's time for upper/lower body split now. For me to do a recomp should I go right up to maintenance calories or bump up slowly? Or should I continue cutting? I don't think I would attempt PHUL on deficit calories.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you would like to get leaner, I would continue to eat in a deficit.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thanks, SS.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    FYI - I replied in your main forum thread.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You can still do PHUL on a deficit though!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Really? I'm not progressing with Stronglifts/ICF anymore. My deadlift is stuck at 155, squat at 110. I've been losing weight steadily for the last two months, which I'm happy about. I weigh 123 lbs now. But my progress chart for my lifts goes up and down. I feel like in order to do PHUL I will need to eat at maintenance, at least. Maybe I'm wrong and just going to a split routine will help. I do aim for 100g of protein daily-it's a chore!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Really? I'm not progressing with Stronglifts/ICF anymore. My deadlift is stuck at 155, squat at 110. I've been losing weight steadily for the last two months, which I'm happy about. I weigh 123 lbs now. But my progress chart for my lifts goes up and down. I feel like in order to do PHUL I will need to eat at maintenance, at least. Maybe I'm wrong and just going to a split routine will help. I do aim for 100g of protein daily-it's a chore!

Lack of progress can be caused by a few different things. It COULD be calories but it could also be the need to increase training volume. It could be lack of recovery (which could come back to calories or it could be resolved by a reduction in volume).

A simple approach could be something like this:

Am I adequately recovered?

YES--> Add training volume
    NO--> Reduce training volume to improve recovery

You could add calories to improve recovery but I would only do that if the additional calories aligns with your body composition or body weight related goals.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Not enough recovery was an issue for a few weeks. But I'm trying to be smarter about my rest days. I've made some progress in some areas and not in others. Like, I hadn't tried doing pull ups in weeks and did 5 reps a couple days ago. 4 today but I did them at the end of my weight workout. But only 155 for deadlifts again. I just can't seem to progress with that lift or OHP. I managed 5 reps @60lbs, then 3, then dropped down to 55lbs for OHP.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Curious - has the weight increase on the bar for deadlifts and squats at least matched the weight decrease on the body?

Like if you lost 5 lbs off body - did weight on bar go up 5 lbs at least showing you maintained your strength?
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    It's embarrassing but my progress chart looks like a heart rate monitor-up & down. I've made some progress with bench press & rows but I've hit a wall with deadlifts & squats. I've never felt like I nailed my form with squats. I'm short & getting below parallel is tough. I can do it @75-80 lbs & then it gets harder. Once I squat 100 I can't get low. Maybe I just need to stay at lower wts & do more volume, as SS said. With DL I just feel like I can't lift more. Yesterday I warmed up with 5@135 no problem. Then @155 I did 3, had to rest & do the last 2. My form has suffered a bit with DL in recent weeks & I must have rounded my back. I've had a sore back after DL the previous two times I've done the lift. Yesterday I really tried to watch form & I think it was good. Little stiff but not sore today.
    TL DR-my lifting issues are complicated. A combo of probably not eating enough to progress & also some poor form issues so I deload when I feel it necessary. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels with 5x5 & I'm not enjoying it as much. I think I'm mainly just trying conserve the muscle I have. I know I have to choose whether to build muscle or lose fat. Fat loss is my current goal so I guess I will just have to get fractional wts & do more reps on my weak lifts. Thanks for all the input.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm reading this and actually happen to think a program like PHUL might be exactly what you need, since you're struggling with recovery. (I have run this program when I was a beginner and just did a week of it now because I needed something to pad my training until Jan. so I'm not *just* shooting this out of my behind :wink: )

Think of it this way:

1. Instead of full body 3 times week, you'll be hitting lower and upper body twice each. So technically, you're reducing frequency.
    2. As such, you will never have less than 2 days between hitting a body part = more recovery
    3. You only have 1 "heavy" day per week per body part, so the 2nd session is digging into a slightly different adaptative system. It's a different training stimulus and might spark some "growth" that's been eluding you with the heavier sets because you struggle with form.
    4. Adding in DB work helps stabilize and even out some things that you wouldn't notice doing barbell stuff only.

Diet-wise, if you're close to goal weight and want to recomp, I think bumping calories up by 100-200 every 2 weeks and assessing the effects can work for you in the long term.

Since that still puts you at a slight deficit, I'd stick to the lower range on number of sets, but aim to hit as many reps as possible (with good form, so perhaps sacrificing some weight at first). I'd suggest not trying to grind ANY reps for a week or two and work from there.

If you find it takes too long/is too much volume for a workout, you can always drop the assistance work (less sets on assistance work, skip the calves and the arms once a week, that kind of stuff) or superset stuff like leg curls and leg extensions (which I prefer to sub for something else most of the time because ew, machines! lol).

Speaking from experience, too: you don't want to overdo it with the hypertrophy work right off. The DOMS are... woah.

I'd say if you're bored with 5x5 you def should give PHUL (or some similar program) a go. Being in a (slight) deficit will not harm your progress that much if you play it smart :)

Also hi! I've been lurking around here for a while, just figured I'd chime in :) (But you've seen me in the 5x5 for women group before :P)
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thank you, Krokador! Of course, I know you and value your input. I'm starting PHUL tomorrow. I feel likes it's the way to go.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I found that's very helpful too. I'm just finishing my first week of PHUL. Squatting heavy 3x a week was really wearing me down mentally. Even if it's maybe not 100% the optimal program for me right now I think consistency is more important and since I have been enjoying it I'm going with it. So we can be buddies Sumi!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Yeah, @Andllll! I did the first day of PHUL yesterday. I need more weights for my Dumbbells! Agree about the squats with SL. Just got to dread them!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    I fully agree with @krokador on her response. It was bang on. Increase your calories by about 100-200/day for a week or 2 and see how you feel. I feel so much better after increasing my calories. Since I lift consistently, I'm following the TDEE method so I eat the same each day and my lifts are definitely benefiting from them. Don't be tough on yourself though..especially with OHP. I was stuck at 45# forever...finally worked up to 3x8 and then finally moved up to 50# working 3x4 or 3x5. It's a tough move for us, I don't try to beat myself up over it but I just look for improvements in number of reps/set or bumping up my weight once I get to the higher range of my rep goal.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I'm loving PHUL! I'm eating more and I'm still losing .5 lbs/wk. not complaining! Happy Holidays to you all! Thanks for all the guidance & advice.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I'm loving PHUL! I'm eating more and I'm still losing .5 lbs/wk. not complaining! Happy Holidays to you all! Thanks for all the guidance & advice.

That's awesome @Sumiblue ... It's great to not feel restricted, especially over the holidays
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    So, it's been a little more than a month since I posted. I got down to my goal weight of 120 & am in maintenance now, although I often fall short of my net calorie goal. I got a Bod Pod assessment that said I was at 23% BF. I am lean on top and have some ab definition. But I have a little stubborn fat on the hips/thighs. I'm short and pear shaped, though more balanced looking now. I'm pretty happy with my weight & size. I just want to reduce those stubborn fat pockets. I've increased my calories a bit and may try calorie cycling: more on training days, less on rest. PHUL is going well but I def feel a lack of strength on squats & deadlift. OHP is not progressing. I feel like I'm going in circles with that lift.
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    OHP is a real *kitten*. How often do you do it?
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    PHUL calls for military presses once a week & I also do DB presses. When I did 5x5 I got up to 60lbs. That happened one week then I went back to 55lbs. This week I was at 50lbs and even dropped back to the empty bar because they felt so crappy. I've been sick with a head cold for a week and it's taken its toll. Also, not eating as much.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    @Sumiblue ...try not to be tough on yourself and allow yourself to get well and back to eating at maintenance before going adding more weight. Once you're healthy, try playing around with increasing your reps before increasing your weight. You'll get there but you'll feel tons better about it once you're healthy and fueled with more food. I look forward to your next update!