How do you stay motivated when loss is slow?

Options
It's so frustrating! I've been eating 1200 kcal for the last few months. At first, the weight just fell off. But after I got under 120 lbs, it kept creeping slower and slower. Now I'm down to 116 and I have to bust my *kitten* to lose 1 pound per week. Workouts that used to burn an extra 300-400 kcal at the beginning now barely give me 200, if that.

I know that this is normal, but it makes me want to pull my hair out! How do you stay sane when it gets this slow?

Replies

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I was always on the 1200 cal. I never had that whoosh of lost pounds it has always been slow and steady if I'm lucky a half a pound a week. I was very fortunate when I got frustrated a woman told me that when weight comes off slowly and you have to work hard at it you will keep it off because it took you longer to learn a new skill and is now a habit. Stay positive and just keep thinking your moving forward only. :)
  • sweety510
    sweety510 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I try to treat everyday as a normal day, and try not to anticipate much, that way time will go by faster. But also I believe it'll help a lot too as it becomes apart of our daily routine once we hit maintenance. When you do feel discourage or frustrated just think about the reason why you started in the first place, so that way it'll get you thinking positive while reassessing your goals. Also having a old picture of myself when I was thinner or a celebrity that you admire or smaller dress size etc. that I go to look at when I start feeling this way totally helps too, it totally encourages me and gets me pumping again. Hang in there you'll be there in no time, I understand your frustration too ;) I myself have 4 lbs to go too and I slowed down to loosing half a pound per week or maybe a couple of ounces LOL (not to discourage you or anything, but just to let you know that your not alone). But no biggy because this is our new life style change! We can definitely do this! B)
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It might be worth re-checking your BMR and TDEE now that you've lost weight, as what worked for you when you were heavier might not work for you anymore. Smaller bodies burn fewer calories. Or you might have the opposite problem - calorie restricting for so long that your metabolism has bottomed out.
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've started ignoring my weight (but still watching cals, of course). I only weigh myself once per week/two weeks.
    Now I'm focused solely on running. Exercise goals are great, because there are way fewer variables than with weight loss. Injuries aside, as long as you work hard and rest appropriately, you should almost always see steady improvement.
    I love running because it’s also numbers based, but instead of inches and lbs, I’m focused on minutes and miles, which is proving great for my mental health, since increasing and decreasing mileage and times is a natural part of training (so I’m not always striving to “do better” than last week). :)
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Being trim and healthy is a lifestyle, not a diet. Your body will find it's natural set point. You'll recognize it when calorie restriction is burdensome and overexercise puts unnecessary stress on your system. Eat for nutrition not weight loss, your body will know what # is comfortable & you will feel fit, fabulous and full of energy.
  • angierosso
    angierosso Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - the 1200 calories is almost too much for me to lose any weight. I never eat back the calories I burn. I find if I eat nothing after dinner -7PM and just drink some decafe or herbal tea, I will lose a little the next morning. It is not easy to lose the last few pounds when you are already pretty small. Just stick with it.