Other LC "side dishes" for lap band boyfriend?

Options
Hi everyone. My boyfriend has a lap band, and while the fluid was taken out several months ago, he still has trouble with broccoli, cauliflower, and sadly, most greens. He does eat them when I make them, but I know he's getting tired of constantly having gas. I don't like sending him to work with so little food though and I'm kind of at a loss.

Tonight for example I'm making baked tilapia, and I wanted to make a side of baked parmesean broccoli. If I don't add a side, that's 2-3 pieces of tilapia to last him a 10 hour shift. Granted it's protein, but he's a big guy and needs a little something extra. Plus he has a very demanding job (he's an aircraft mechanic, so he's doing physical labor)

I bought each of us a 1lb bag of almonds, so he has that, and sometimes I pack him a baggy with salami and cheese, but I'm running out of ideas. Am I just not thinking outside the box?

Before we went keto, literally everything he ate was paired with mashed potatoes. He would carbo load to get through his shift. Back then, though, he had the fluid in his band (too much fluid, actually) and it severely limited his food options.

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I'm not real familiar with the lap band... Can he drink coffee? I sometimes use coffee with heavy cream as a snack and it fills me up pretty well.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Maybe more fats? That's where the long term satiety typically comes from on Keto. Tilapia and parm broccoli sounds pretty low fat.
    Maybe celery with cream cheese?
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Maybe more fats? That's where the long term satiety typically comes from on Keto. Tilapia and parm broccoli sounds pretty low fat.
    Maybe celery with cream cheese?

It was tilapia cooked in mayo with fontina cheese on top, and baked broccoli with parmesean on top. Is that still too low fat, or does that sound better? Still trying to get used to adding more fat
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty good. Depending on how much of those ingredients it had. But, seems reasonable to me. Sounds like he just needs a side item like you were saying.
    Another thing I like is tuna with mayo, avocado and dill pickle relish and I scoop it up like a dip with sliced cucumber. Not exactly a side item though...
    Maybe just avocado with salt and pepper. Or some salad with full fat dressing. You could throw some cheese, olives, avocado... Whatever he likes in there too.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try thinking outside the box and get used to the idea of not eating "traditional" things at traditional times. Like, who says you have to have eggs, cereal, or pancakes for breakfast? And also, as you said, if there is no side of potatoes, that means he needs to eat a lot more of the main dish. And agree, add more fat. Olive oil, butter, etc.

I'm not familiar with the lap band, or the "fluid" you are referring to. How about if you make a list of all of the things he can eat, and then google for low carb recipes using those ingredients to get some more ideas of things you could add to his meals.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    A lap band is a device the "strangles" the top of the stomach to form a small pouch ~ to make you eat less. When she said to "let the fluid out", the fluid is in the lap band. The more fluid you pump into the lap band, the more it strangles/restricts the stomach. So to let the fluid out, it tantamount to putting him back to a "normal" stomach.

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    @deksgrl true, true. That's a good point. I usually go out once every 2 weeks and buy us each a 1lb bag of almonds, so he has those to snack on (he can go through the bag in 2 weeks, I haven't gone through mine yet). I get paid friday so I'm going to load up on string cheese and beef jerky and a couple more snacky items. That, with whatever we have for dinner, should hold both of us over.

Any other ideas for snacks? I was going to pick up some sugar free jello today but at 10 carbs I didn't think it was worth it. I can have keto bombs for less carbs.

@DittoDan yes that's exactly it, thank you for explaining :) Sorry, I always just assume people on these boards are familiar with lap bands and the like.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How about sliced meat & cream cheese roll ups (ham, salami, turkey, whatever he likes?) I often eat veggies with cream cheese, like celery or cucumber, but if that doesn't agree with him, put it on meat instead.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    I like whole milk cottage cheese and pecans. My husband had it yesterday for a snack and he was amazed at how filling it is. I did learn that pecans have very little carbs compared to other nuts :)
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Zucchini Quiche

you can make individual ones in a muffin tin or slice 8x8 pan into four generous pcs

3 cups zucchini, shredded
    1 onion, chopped - I cook the onion until soft
    4 eggs, beaten - I add an extra egg
    1/2 cup almond meal/flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/8 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar
    1/4 cup parsley, or to taste, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    Salt and ground black pepper to taste

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 8x8-inch pan or a 12-inch pie plate or muffin tin.
    2 In a medium mixing bowl, combine zucchini, onion, eggs, almond meal, baking pwdr, vegetable oil, Romano, cheddar, marjoram, parsley, salt and pepper; mix well. Spread into the prepared baking dish.
    3 Bake for 30 minutes, or until lightly brown.

...can substitute Parmesan for Romano, but I highly recommend the Romano.

These are good hot, cold or room temp.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Pathophysiology wise...low volume meals, for post surgery lap band NPO (no solids at least) there are casein based protein supplements recommended for use in the transition phase (always an option for being on the go/traveling too).

Probably should be on vitamins A,D,E, & K (lipophilic ones) & Cyanocobalamin (Vit.B12) due to impaired absorption from the procedure since gastric transit time is reduced significantly (less time for absorption). If he supplements with Calcium for whatever reason, it needs to be Calcium Citrate (more bioavailable than carbonates, max saturation is 500mg elemental calcium per dose; before bedtime is ideal if only dosing once in the day).

My brother had this procedure done many years ago...
    What others have mentioned are typical of what he eats usually...emulsion is always a good way to help down vegetables to help tolerance
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    How about pork rinds as a snack? I find a few of those very filling, and 0 carbs! Plus they are salty, so that helps too.
    Also, is he able to do intermittent fasting? ie, eat enough in the time off work to carry him over the work period? (It might be hard if the lap band limits intake, though.) Something he might consider.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    How about pork rinds as a snack? I find a few of those very filling, and 0 carbs! Plus they are salty, so that helps too.
    Also, is he able to do intermittent fasting? ie, eat enough in the time off work to carry him over the work period? (It might be hard if the lap band limits intake, though.) Something he might consider.

Yes, and dip the pork rinds in Rotel & melted cheese, or dip them in egg salad or chicken salad or tuna salad (use lots of mayo).

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I find that I have less unexpected gas (usually from garlic powder, onion powder, and random processing) with a troublesome meal if I take the generic equivalent of Beano first - which is essentially just an additional digestive enzyme. I find that the more I adapt (going through this again after my holiday off-plan adventure), the less i need this unless I used Garlic powder/chopped garlic too much in a recipe (I accidentally did this making meatloaf over the holiday because I was sick and mistook tsp for TBSP and added triple the powder I needed).

Does anyone know if using this enzyme occasionally messes up anything else? Or if it is safe for lapband folks?