Starting over on 5:2

Options
kjimmie4848
kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
Over a year ago I embraced the 5:2 diet losing 30 pounds in about 5 months or so. I didn't reach my weight goal but I did reach my health goal. I am no longer pre-diabetic and I learned so much about myself and my food. Even though it's been over a year since I have "dieted" I have been able to maintain and even lose a few more pounds from what I learned. My husband is now ready to drop some weight so we are going to do 5:2 together. I am excited to start on that last 17 pounds.

Anyone else quit 5:2 and started back? Any success the 2nd go round?

Replies

• aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    i keep starting on and off i cant seem to.stick around to lose a big chunk of weight!!i find it helpful reading that people like yourself have managed to lose quite a few pounds!
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try changing it up a little. I broke a lot of the "rules" and I'm okay with that.
  • mominstands
    mominstands Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to start again. I have been off for 2 months but want to get back on track.
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Welcome back everyone!!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about start again too, I just can't bring myself to do it. I feel like it'll screw my thyroid issues.
  • carriepbm
    carriepbm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've started over, too. Today is Fast day #1 of the new cycle.
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've started over again. 1st fast back was Sunday, and I'm sticking with it again. I managed to shift 30lb last time, so this time I'm sticking with it.
  • ThePilatesPrincess
    ThePilatesPrincess Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Today is my first day on the 5:2 plan and I'm excited! This plan really makes sense to me and I think it will fit in my lifestyle well. I have fasted before so I know what to expect and the first day of a fast is not usually very difficult for me, so I think intermittent fasting will work great for me. I unfortunately gained 9 lbs. over the summer & need to get those off plus a quite a bit more. I have a ways to go but I will keep at it.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting!! Monday will be my first fast in almost. 12 months
  • dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I just restarted and no regrets.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Options
    Today is my first fast day since restarting. I've got to work which is good. It'll keep me busy. Why did I have to wake up starving?? I had my regular breakfast protein shake and that'll do me until I have a little dinner tonight. Wish me luck guys!!!!
  • BeautyNovice
    BeautyNovice Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Good luck @mrsfitzyv8. I'm starting 5:2 today. Monday and Wednesday will generally be my fast days, but I may have to move it around from time to time to accommodate business socializing. I'm very excited to give this a try and hope it's as effective for me as I've seen it is for others.
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    Welcome @mrsfitzyv8 and @BeautyNovice ! I just got back in the swing myself. Keep remembering that tomorrow is near and YOU have POWER.
  • BeautyNovice
    Options
    Thank you @dryheatfitness. My first fast day didn't go too badly. Fasting while I was working wasn't too difficult. I had my decaf in the morning, herbal tea in the afternoon, and water throughout the day. Once I got home, it was a little harder. I found myself distracted by the hunger. But it was the first day, and I was comforted by the knowledge that a normal eating day was just a night's sleep away. I went yo bed early. My hope is that once I become accustomed, I'll be able to utilize my fasting time to be productive since I won't need to be focused on finding appropriate sustenance. Now on to my first "normal" eating day. I've finally found an exercise I enjoy and am working to establish a regular exercise habit, so I'm really hoping the fast diet helps me start to see results. Happy Tuesday!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Options
    Thanks @dryheatfitness :)
    I survived my first fast day and today(Wednesday) is my second fast for the week.
    Today I feel more prepared and ready :)
  • BeautyNovice
    Options
    Second fast day went better than the first. I didn't suffer so much at the end of the day. Still went to bed pretty early, and didn't make the best use of my time. But I felt better, which I like. My workout after my first day of fasting was really hard. I felt gassed half way through. So this morning, I added a pre-workout supplement to help me with endurance during my workout. I felt better during my workout this morning. I was spent by the end, but it's a longer workout than I'm accustomed to, so I'm guessing that's a factor. I'll have a chance to do it again on Saturday after an eating day, so I'll pay attention to how I feel during and after to compare.
  • dryheatfitness
    Options
    Preparation is the key - as is "forgiveness" if you skip a day/week. Of any program I've done, this one is the EASIEST to keep to, but also the EASIEST to get back on if you get distracted by life.

I'm only 4 weeks in and this week has been an absolute breeze. Yesterday I woke up and pretended I was one of those "skinny people" they talk about in the book who "forget to eat" all day - and I did just that - forgot to eat! Every time I thought I'd have something, I just drank some water and got busy doing something else (house cleaning, dog walking, home office organizing) and actually forgot breakfast and lunch. I had an apple around 3 so that I wouldn't eat dinner too early, and then wasn't really interested in dinner until 6 where I had the 2nd serving of what I'd made on Fast Day One this week.

Then - today - much to my surprise, waking up was just fine. I wasn't racing to get a big breakfast put together. I had some coffee, logged into work, did some work and 2 hours later realized - I never ate breakfast! So a cup of yogurt and 1/4 cup granola came out and after that I was FULL!!! I cannot recall a time EVER in my life that a single serving of yogurt with granola was enough for a snack, let alone BREAKFAST. If I didn't already have a lunch date with a friend at noon I probably wouldn't have eaten again until dinner tonight (as it was I had my salad and half a sandwich only). The old me would've had 2 beers, a burger with fries and 1 more beer for dessert. I'm really empowered by 5:2 and loving it.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Options
    Awesome guys!!!! Yeah my workouts after fasting are tough. I struggle to lift the same weights as I do non fasted. I'm thinking of trying a pre workout
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello. Trying something new which includes the 5:2 fast. I am going grain free for a few weeks. I have had so many health problems, been so tired, I thought I would try this again. Was not successful last year. Good to see it has been working for someone.
  • BeautyNovice
    Options
    Second week of 5:2. First fast day yesterday. Went fine. I felt energized throughout the day. And my workout this morning was fine also. Shorter workout than the one I was doing last week, so not really comparing apples to apples. But I'm happy with how it's going nonetheless. I think this is a lifestyle that can really work for me. I'm currently traveling for business, which is usually a huge problem for my diet. I've been known to gain five pounds in a week with all the room service and business social meals. So far, I'm feeling really empowered. I spent weekend with family and was spoiled with food, but it was no problem because I'd already created such a large deficit for the week. I'm away from my scale now, but I can tell I'm doing fine from the way I look and feel. I'm really feeling grateful.