If it fits

Options
Deena_Bean
Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
What do you guys do with the carbs - do you eat "IIFYM" or do you specifically exclude certain things with your low carb (like breads/pastas, etc)? I've only been doing this for a fairly short time and I've used some of Atkins products (recording the actual carbs, not net) - and another example - I had some chicken and dumpling campbell's soup last night because it was fast and easy and I don't feel well. My carbs were still in the goal range, but it made me wonder what others do with things like this.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I think the quality of the carbs can matter as much as the quantity.

I try to avoid anything that triggers cravings, including fake foods.

Did you see the study that confirmed we all react to different foods in different ways?
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10295265/a-fresh-look-at-the-glycemic-index

If nothing else, that should put a nail in the coffin of IIFYM.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    I definitely agree that the quality matters, the things I've eaten that have been processed (like the Atkins stuff) have been out of convenience - and have stopped me from having a bowl of cereal instead. So far I haven't had any cravings/triggers. I had pizza once (with the crust) a couple of weeks ago - and to my complete shock it was less amazing than formerly. This was a bittersweet discovery for some reason...it was still super good, but I felt like I could easily have just eaten the toppings. I'd just be afraid of not getting full enough on the sizes we order...like I'd kill more slices than everyone else because the bread isn't filling me up, kwim? Ok - so that was way off point here, but thanks for your response. I'm going to read more about that study. It would be so wonderful to have a tailored diet, it would eliminate the guess work (thereby eliminated IIFYM). Very intriguing thought.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Good point -- after you've eaten low carb for a while, things change. Foods taste different. Cravings change. And even how we react to food metabolically can change.

I stay away from some food, like pizza, because I fear that it'll be a slippery slope for me. At the same time, I can indulge in some food that used to cause cravings, and it doesn't have the same effect anymore.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful of IIFYM. I tend to eat most of my carbs in one meal and that often results in hunger and cravings. Plus it tends to be in the evenings which messes with my fasting blood glucose.

For example, I might eat a bunch of carrots at dinner along with a flaxmeal breaded porkcutlet and then some nuts an hour later for a snack. It may be only 25g of carbs in a day but 20 of them were in a 1 hour period... It messes with me.

Overall, I am pretty careful of my carb sources. I am a celiac so that limits me too. I generally keep my main carb sources to veggies and nuts as much as possible. I don't buy any "low carb" marketed products at all. This is partially because I am cheap and partially for nutrition.

I've had a quarter piece of bread in the last 5 months, and it did very little for me. Snap peas or cucs would have been tastier. Veggies works best for me. It will be different for everyone though. :)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with IIFYM if you don't have any other issues... no food triggers, no medical issues. If it works for you, well alright then. But I have those. Some carbs are a trigger for me, even just the smell of them I've discovered. I also have some medical issues that prevent me from eating just any ol' carb. While I wouldn't suggest someone just eat a cheeseburger or such every day because it fits, I'm not going to tell someone that it's a horrible thing either. Each body is a chemistry set and each set works a little differently.
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    I've sort of just been bumping through everything and doing what works to keep me in the appropriate carb range. I do a fairly decent job of distributing the carbs throughout the day, and so far I have had some easy success with this method. I do have PCOS, but it's not a raging case of it and I don't suffer insulin resistance. It's the main reason I chose this diet, though, because the issues that I do have show a tendency to work better with lower carbs. I'll just pay attention to myself and tweak as needed, I think. I don't want to become obsessed about it. My goal is high compared to many here (75-95 total carbs per day range), so I don't have a giant problem staying under. I had some fro-yo a few nights ago and was under carbs, but over calories a little. It was yummy and a worthwhile treat, though, so I count it as ok :)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's very individual based on the person. I avoid conventional sweets and starches, preferring to get my carbs from natural sources, but I would be lying if I said I didn't consume some sugars in things like store-bought salad dressing and seasonings and whatnot. I am not insulin resistant, but I have noticed my body reacts to things differently than it used to, so I avoid the things that trigger me. Except when my willpower sucks, like last night when my father-in-law took us out for Mexican food. LOL
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I avoid breads, pasta, and sweets like cake, donuts and all that stuff and sweetened drinks. I occasionally eat small amounts of potato or rice (~ half a cup) with a meal. My carb goal is 100 grams or less per day.

I have done the same as you with eating a can of soup once in awhile. I have found that as long as I am consistent MOST days then the occasional higher carb things don't affect my weight loss. Most days my carb levels are in the 40-70 range, unless I eat some higher carb things.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I am extremely carb sensitive. If i go over 20-25 carbs i will stall, retain water and gain weight. In order to lose weight, 15-18 carbs total is my sweet spot. No bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. fruit or veggies for me. It sucks, but I've been logging for twi years and it's not fun, but true. I take supplements for my vitamins and minerals. If i could give up dairy i might try some low carb veggies, but i couldn't survive without cream in my coffee- or at least i might not want to. Truth is though, I've never had more energy or felt better. And I've lost 126 pounds. So food goes to the back burner of my life, and low and behold- there's a whole wide world of life out there in which to indulge!
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    I am extremely carb sensitive. If i go over 20-25 carbs i will stall, retain water and gain weight. In order to lose weight, 15-18 carbs total is my sweet spot. No bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. fruit or veggies for me. It sucks, but I've been logging for twi years and it's not fun, but true. I take supplements for my vitamins and minerals. If i could give up dairy i might try some low carb veggies, but i couldn't survive without cream in my coffee- or at least i might not want to. Truth is though, I've never had more energy or felt better. And I've lost 126 pounds. So food goes to the back burner of my life, and low and behold- there's a whole wide world of life out there in which to indulge!

Nice attitude :)
    I'm not sure yet where my sweet spot is. I know when I did CICO I lost weight quite well by just watching calories. I switched back to low carb, though, because my stomach didn't seem to life the grains so much. It has been wonderful for that (no stomach pains for the most part). I have some potatoes now and then, I don't like rice too much, and pasta I haven't touched in a while. I had real pizza and my stomach was fine. I'll give it a few months in the "below 100" range and see how the weight loss goes. So far it's creeeeeeping down, but it's down none-the-less, so I'll ride it out.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Mine are usually allotted to low carb veggies, then I spread the rest of them out after I have my veggies set for the day with things like cream cheese, dressings, almonds. I know if I have a Greek yogurt, I won't be able to have a small sweet potato and vice versa. I try to spend them wisely and figure out what I really want to eat for the day. I avoid rice, bread, white potatoes,pasta, grains. I really don't care for that stuff anyway so it's no biggie to me. I also try to keep my sugar low. I never go any higher than 50g NC and usually hang between 30-40 daily. My weight loss seems to be a little slower than when I was at 20g, but I still stay in ketosis at that level and it allows me to include things that are a little higher in carbs like my beloved sweet potatoes because 4oz is 20g NC so those are definite treats for me.
  • marlamp10
    marlamp10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My carbs are pretty much limited to lowcarb veggies, cheeses, heavy cream, and a spoonful of almond butter. Those are the foods I can eat best without stalling too much.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I'll give it a few months in the "below 100" range and see how the weight loss goes. So far it's creeeeeeping down, but it's down none-the-less, so I'll ride it out.

I started out like that two years ago, and my weight loss was slow, as expected. But that leeway helped me to stick with this WOE, and now that I am maintaining, I find that I don't crave the old carby foods I used to. So stick with it if it works for you, then lower carbs if you stall or find other issues. It will be an ongoing process, lifelong if all goes well!