What is a good calorie count for pregnancy?

Options
I'm currently trying an 1800 calories plan is this okay?

Replies

• stc1982
    stc1982 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1800 sounds about right to me. From what I have read, you are supposed to eat 350 calories more than you normally would to maintain your weight.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It is really different for everyone. I have some pregnant friends on here who are trying to stay around 1600 calories and still gain quite a bit. Most are in the 1800-1900 range. Personally I eat about 2400 calories a day and have had trouble gaining weight. So very different for everyone.
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am aiming at 1700 + exercise calories and I'm in my first trimester (I'm 5'5 and around 122 pounds at the moment). And then I'll increase by about 200 calories by trimester. That's what I did with my first pregnancy and it worked fine. Of course, if I'm hungry I'll eat a bit more if needed.
  • savannah1276
    savannah1276 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and started out st 130 I do a goal of 1800 a day but usually have calories left over. My doctor told me I gained weight too fast but it was after thanksgiving
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 6 weeks pregnant and starting out at 5'6'' 135. I have been eating at maintenance (1600) plus eating back all my exercise calories. Will go up to 1900 when I reach my second trimester.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to maintenance for the first trimester, then .5 lb gain for the second trimester (since I don't weigh and measure my food). That usually comes out to be around 1800+exercise. :)

5'5 - starting pregnancy weight 122
  • EmmaDetermined
    EmmaDetermined Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I found this scientific guidance for Obstetricians and Gynaecologists here in the UK and it explains that due to the changes is basic metabolic rate during pregnancy and the variations in this from woman to woman, some women only need 13,000 kcal to support a pregnancy and others 80,000. So really, the only thing you can do is track and see what happens and adjust accordingly.

Official general guidance here is to only add 300 calories in the last trimester, but other sources quote adding 250 calories in the second trimester and 450 in the last.

So confusing, huh?

Here is the link for the guidance in case anyone is that way inclined... https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/guidelines/scientific-impact-papers/sip_18.pdf
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and will go by NHS guidelines which is to add 200 extra calories for the last trimester. Until then I have sent MFP to maintenance which is about 1750 for me.