Fiber supplement?

Options
so benefiber has 7g 2% of carbs and 5g of dietary fiber and 5 g of soluble fiber 20% would this be a good move for low carbers?

Replies

• erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just added it into my diet and I'm so glad I did. Only really adds 3-4 net carbs onto my daily numbers so I make room for it with my other food choices.
  • HFlippin2015
    HFlippin2015 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Y are u glad?what has it done for you?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

That's just what i was going to ask :lol:

Is benefibre enough on it's own to keep you regular?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If regularity is the concern, you could also consider magnesium oxide. I was having issues from eating too much cheese and I worked up to the dose I needed to take to get things moving without creating any discomfort. Plus I cut back cheese. I need the mag anyway, so I opted to do that and never personally considered fiber.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Since I began LCHF my bathroom issues (constipation) have been better than ever with no fiber needed. Good luck!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Since I began LCHF my bathroom issues (constipation) have been better than ever with no fiber needed. Good luck!

I think it's so interesting how even though there are different types of IBS, either the loose or constipation issues, (don't know if that's what caused yours, just thinking out loud here), how low carb seems to be equally effective for a good majority of us in normalizing things. At least until we (me) start eating too much of something (like cheese) and mess it up. Lol
    I always had the loose IBS symptoms with the stomach churning, pains and sudden urgency that liked to surprise me as I was stuck in traffic or somewhere completely inconvenient. I had always needed fiber supplements or a high fiber breakfast to keep it controlled. I was never a breakfast person, so supplements were usually my method. Almost immediately, I noticed improvement after dropping the carbs and I haven't had even one episode of IBS in the 7+ months since I've been Keto. I had one accidental higher carb day (probably around 100g) from a visit to Chinese buffet that gave me a terrible ache and bloated belly for 2 days, but it still wasn't like the old days.
    Anyway, just something I've noticed people saying no matter what their IBS symptoms entailed before, it seems to be common that they at the very least improve drastically if not go away and quite quickly too.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Fun fact -- we don't actually need fiber to stay "regular," and going low carb, high fat makes the fat take over what the fiber purportedly does - lubricate things. This is because fat is a natural lubricant, and when you have sufficient fat, the body doesn't have to keep it just for the vital stuff, and it can use it elsewhere. Also, fiber acts as a lubricant by irritating the bowel, causing it to secrete mucus to deal with the irritant.

Also, we don't have to go every day, or even multiple times per day. As long as you're not uncomfortable and don't have to strain, it's okay to go less. Going less is common among LCHF people, especially as the carbs drop way down, because there's less insoluble fiber (which doesn't really serve much purpose beside acting like packing peanuts) and the body more completely absorbs the nutrients in the food we eat, meaning less bulk and less waste overall.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a "Like" button here. ^^^
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Little irregularly deposited rabbit droppings are not healthy. What helps me is 400mg magnesium citrate, benefibre and chia seeds. Still not regular despite high fat. Provig we are all different, I guess?
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thank you Dragonwolf ... very new to this WOE and was getting concerned. Of course, if I'd thought it through I might even realized how less carbs would affect a body.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I have to take 1000mg of magnesium to keep it moving, but I don't have to do it every single night. But I got no effect at all from smaller doses.
  • HFlippin2015
    HFlippin2015 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a "Like" button here. ^^^

Agree!! Thanks dragon wolf!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I think it's so interesting how even though there are different types of IBS, either the loose or constipation issues, (don't know if that's what caused yours, just thinking out loud here), how low carb seems to be equally effective for a good majority of us in normalizing things. At least until we (me) start eating too much of something (like cheese) and mess it up. Lol
    I always had the loose IBS symptoms with the stomach churning, pains and sudden urgency that liked to surprise me as I was stuck in traffic or somewhere completely inconvenient. I had always needed fiber supplements or a high fiber breakfast to keep it controlled. I was never a breakfast person, so supplements were usually my method. Almost immediately, I noticed improvement after dropping the carbs and I haven't had even one episode of IBS in the 7+ months since I've been Keto. I had one accidental higher carb day (probably around 100g) from a visit to Chinese buffet that gave me a terrible ache and bloated belly for 2 days, but it still wasn't like the old days.
    Anyway, just something I've noticed people saying no matter what their IBS symptoms entailed before, it seems to be common that they at the very least improve drastically if not go away and quite quickly too.

My husband has ibs, and it has been bad lately. After Christmas he is considering going on the fodmap diet to help alleviate his symptoms. We were discussing it and he remarked that it had a lot in common with keto... IE no wheat etc. I've been on at him about how folk on here with ibs had found relief with keto... but it just goes to show you have to be ready when you are ready and no-one else can get there for you. One of his main gripes with keto is that it doesn't give you enough fibre (he has more ibs-c) and therefore makes him worse. But it's no good me saying, he has to find out himself.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

My husband has ibs, and it has been bad lately. After Christmas he is considering going on the fodmap diet to help alleviate his symptoms. We were discussing it and he remarked that it had a lot in common with keto... IE no wheat etc. I've been on at him about how folk on here with ibs had found relief with keto... but it just goes to show you have to be ready when you are ready and no-one else can get there for you. One of his main gripes with keto is that it doesn't give you enough fibre (he has more ibs-c) and therefore makes him worse. But it's no good me saying, he has to find out himself.

Yeah. It's really hard to accept the idea that something that worked before is completely uneccessary once you lose all the cruddy foods. But, once you experience it, you're sold! Best of luck to him. It's amazing not having to constantly be planning out your bathroom visits. lol
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Little irregularly deposited rabbit droppings are not healthy. What helps me is 400mg magnesium citrate, benefibre and chia seeds. Still not regular despite high fat. Provig we are all different, I guess?

the only thing that the fibre does is bulk your stool. not wise.
  • erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    Options

That's just what i was going to ask :lol:

Is benefibre enough on it's own to keep you regular?

I think everyone is very different and in my own personal experience, yes it does.

I do agree with the majority of responses here regarding fats as natural lubricants and the ease of IBS symptoms alongside a ketogenic diet. But again, everyone is different and "regularity" is subjective to each individual. I would encourage the OP to try multiple methods of suggestions as made by the above members to see what works for you.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

There's more to the spectrum than just "pipe cloggers" and "rabbit droppings." Also, regular does not have to equate to daily. Someone going once every 3 days or so and doesn't have to strain and has "normal" poo is still regular, just on a longer timetable than generally accepted.

The problem that we commonly see on here when people start talking fiber supplements is that there's a misunderstanding about what actually constitutes things like constipation. A great many people come on here and say they're constipated, solely because they're only going every 2-3 days instead of the previous twice a day. Going less frequently and having smaller movements isn't as much of an issue as a lot of people think, especially when you've removed a lot of the gunk from your diet. Where it is an issue if you feel bloated or have to strain in order to go when you feel the need to do so. The key here, though, is learning the actual difference between healthy bowel movements and constipation (ie - time between movements is not, in and of itself, one of them).

Additionally, contrary to popular belief, fiber is as often a cause of constipation as it is a treatment of it.

https://www.gutsense.org/reports/myth.html
    http://www.drbriffa.com/2013/03/05/study-finds-dietary-fibre-is-more-likely-to-be-cause-of-rather-than-a-cure-for-constipation-and-other-bowel-symptoms/

Generally speaking, it's very likely there's something else going on. Lack of water is a common one, since both high fiber and low carb increase your water needs. If you're doing both and not drinking a lot of water, you're more prone to constipation.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Going everyday is vital for me. If i go two days in a row with no movement, I start vomiting, even a sip of water will come straight back up, and get unbearable, incredibly painful stomach cramps. Which is why i have to make triply sure I get enough fibre to guarantee I will go everyday, plus on top of that I take magnesium and a probiotic every night.