VSG vs. Gastric bypass

Options
sarafer1
sarafer1 Posts: 27 Member
How did you all decide to have VSG instead of RouxnY? My surgery is scheduled for 1/14, but I'm still undecided about which to have. My surgeon and I discussed pros/cons for both and essentially I'm healthy so either option is available. Would love to know what made you choose the VSG. Feel free to friend me!

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I chose VSG because I was only pre-diabetic, (no meds), had 90-100 pounds to lose, (no more) and didn't want to add additional malabsorption to the mix. Also, I'd heard that dumping, etc could sometimes be worse with R\Y. More than 2 years out, healthy and still thrilled with my decision! Good luck!
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I went with VSG because their were fewer side effects for me to deal with, in addition to it not being as drastic. My surgeon retained the rights to change it at the last minute if he found issues (i.e. Esophagus issues).
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I chose the VSG because it required less "rerouting" and didn't have as many possible side-effects as the RNY like dumping and malabsorption. of course, like pennysteed, my surgeon had the right to make any last minute changes if necessary
  • dd43vsg
    dd43vsg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I chose Vsg for all the same reasons listed above and have zero regret. I also only had 80-90 lbs to lose.
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Like the others the VSG is less complicated and fewer side effects
  • jcarter2569
    jcarter2569 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had VSG instead of RNY because malabsorption is not a healthy way to maintain weight loss for most folks. I know a woman who had it, and she has had constant battles with anemia due to her iron levels and not staying strict with her vitamin supplementation. She is thinner than me, but looks sickly. I did not want that. Also, in my pre-surgery support group, there were a few who had RNY who said if they could go back in time and have the option to do VSG, they would have done so. I also previously had the lap band and it was horrible and useless for me.
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    VSG was chosen in my case because of the IBS issues I have in relation to vitamins. RNY need more vitamins and increases the chance of me having more IBS pain.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    At the time I was deciding, I was dating a guy who had the duodenal switch done (very drastic - basically its a combo of vsg and gastric bypass - sleeve instead of pouch and add in intestinal rerouting - restriction and malabsortion). The bathroom side effects of malabsorption are what convinced me to go more conservative. Malabsorption means stuff goes RIGHT through you basically in the same form it came in. If you eat something greasy, it comes out greasy. What comes out is basically undigested food. If you leave out undigested food it molds - digested food (i.e. normal poop) does not . So the toilet would get a mold ring around it from him. Also for most people who have any WLS, digestion issues cause gas. Sometimes it is not a big deal, but for a lot of RNY and DS people it is almost as socially debiliating as the weight was. Not only did he have a lot of gas, but that and his bowel movements have the absolute WORST smell ever. If you google it, you will see people desperate for solutions to that. Using a public restroom (i.e. at work) is incredibly embarassing for him. And finally, he lost a lot of weight extremely fast (i.e. 200 pounds in under a year)... but then he couldnt stop it. No matter how much he eats, it goes right through him. So he is underweight and "sickly" as someone mentioned since he also doesnt absorb vitamins (which generally happens in your intestines - but not for him). He can never take any time release based medicine - which most vitamins are... so he has to take vitamins 4 times a day for the rest of his life since he only absorbs a little of it.

Basically, he swapped one inconvenient/embarassing lifestyle for another inconvenient/embarassing lifestyle. I decided to not be so drastic. If the VSG didnt work, at least then I could have other options (do a mini RNY, etc).

Its a big decision and depends on what you are willing to trade. Not everyone will have such drastic changes, but unless you have a lot to lose and it is life threatening, its probably better to go a little more conservative route when possible. I dont regret the VSG one bit. I have a few tradeoffs and inconveniences, but for the most part I live a normal life now (4 years out).
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am going to post something about my decision that's probably going to sound trite to some: I prayed a lot about which surgery to have and I just did not have a feeling of peace about gastric bypass. It turned out after my surgery that they had found a tumor in my stomach which was removed during the surgery. I didn't even know about it until after 3 weeks after it was out. If I would have had gastric bypass, which I had absolutely no peace about, that stomach would have stayed there in that tumor would have stayed there and grown.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am going to post something about my decision that's probably going to sound trite to some: I prayed a lot about which surgery to have and I just did not have a feeling of peace about gastric bypass. It turned out after my surgery that they had found a tumor in my stomach which was removed during the surgery. I didn't even know about it until after 3 weeks after it was out. If I would have had gastric bypass, which I had absolutely no peace about, that stomach would have stayed there in that tumor would have stayed there and grown.

That does not sound trite. Sounds like you trusted your intuition-- VERY smart move. :)
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I started down the road of VSG, but it turned out that I had quite an advanced case of Barret's Esophagus. My surgeon advised that RNY would lessen the chances of future damage due to the common occurrence of GERD with VSG and he was able to resect the main damage that I had already.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I forgot that another part of my decision was that I was told I would probably lose a foot or so of large intestine due to diverticulitis which was rampant in me, before I had my WLS. So I chose VSG because I didn't want to lose both large AND small intestine. But, I haven't had any more diverticular episodes since my VSG surgery. I am still scratching my head about that one.
  • sarafer1
    sarafer1 Posts: 27 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks all for your insightful responses! I am 11 days post op from RNY and all is great so far! I feel totally good about my decision! I know several people have said that you would not take as many vitamins with VSG, however, my clinic/surgeon recommends/requires the same for either procedure so for me that ended up not being an issue. Best wishes to you al!!