Fitbit, anyone?

Options
newtosd1
newtosd1 Posts: 7 Member
I have recently started working with a personal trainer and re-acquainting myself with myfitnesspal. I have been contemplating whether or not a fitbit would be a good addition to my routine. My goals are fairly modest -- lose about 10 pounds (currently 5'8" 147) and strength training. Any thoughts? How has fitbit worked for you?

Replies

• samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My Fitbit has definitely helped me to lose! I find it really motivating to be able to see the steps rack up throughout the day as I work towards 10,000 steps/5 miles, and having it synced up with MFP so it adds/takes away calories has helped me hit my goals more accurately. I only do step based cardio, though.
  • rkw1133
    rkw1133 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the Fitbit is an excellent motivator. I have definitely made an effort to move more throughout the day rather than just relying upon my morning workout. As far as your goals, I'm not certain it would be useful. A saying I like to keep in mind is that size is determined in the kitchen (weight is dependent upon what you eat), shape is determined in the gym (exercise helps make whatever size you are look better and be stonger). MyFitnessPal already has what it takes to keep track of the food for your weight loss and getting in more steps has nothing to do with strength training. You probably have everything you need now.
  • newtosd1
    Options
    Thanks, rkw1133, that's kind of what I thought.
  • rkw1133
    rkw1133 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You're welcome!
  • allykat0320
    allykat0320 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    the fitbit is definitely useful for cardio/running/walking, but if you are going to be doing strength training or body weight exercises, it doesn't really "pick up" those types of movements. I'd do an entire crossfit workout and would barely have logged any steps at all!
  • newtosd1
    Options
    Thanks, allykat0320, for the info, I would not have known that. I am mainly focusing on strength training right now so it doesn't sound like the fitbit would benefit me anyhow. Pretty sure a crossfit workout is burning some fairly serious calories! I noticed that is also hard to log strength calories on myfitnespal when trying to integrate exercise into your nutritional plan. I am working with a trainer right now and even though I am doing primarily strength training, it still feels like a pretty decent cardio workout.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I also find my Fitbit motivating, I used to try to do many things in one trip even around the house to avoid going over the same ground , but now I am aware of my steps and try to get as many in as possible. I even walk around the house before going to bed if I am close to 10,000 Steps.
  • breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My fitbit has been the best motivator I've ever had to be and actually stay active and stick to my health and fitness goals. In the past, my interest has always petered out after a few days/ weeks etc but I find it incredibly motivating to keep hitting my fitbit activity and food goals. It makes me sad to see red bars on my dashboard and once you have a few months of green bars you want to keep the trend up. I have a fitbit charge HR so it does a little better at recording non-cardio based workouts and I love seeing how each workout adds to my daily goals. I also love the challenges. If I'm having a period where I feel like I'm losing motivation I invite my friends and the competition usually gets my bum in gear again.

I love seeing stats and am motivated by numbers and graphs and competition so fitbit really suits me. However, from your post I think a heart rate monitor will probably suit you better if you're simply wanting to get a more accurate reading of calories burned during your workouts. You can buy some decent budget heart rate monitors that'll set you back far less than buying a fitbit.

edited to change swear word to 'bum' ;P

• blondieabroad
    blondieabroad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm almost in the exact same boat! I'm 5'8"- former athlete so I used to work out like 8 hours a day, and I've just been really lazy in the last few months and super stressed out. Not to mention, I work overseas in a place where we've had a lot of extremist attacks recently so I used to walk home from work or go for runs in the park, but now that's totally out of the question.

I'm back home in the States for a few weeks and got a Fitbit and am trying to get active and get back down to around 145 where I feel pretty fit. I"d love to be your buddy here and on FitBit!

I am also looking for friends with similar goals. On a more shallow note, I'm trying to kind of revamp myself, get into shape, and put some effort into the dating side of my life.

If anyone is interested in working together to stay motivated, please reach out!
    Jennifer
  • smelbo
    smelbo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Been using a fitbit flex since October, got it as a bday present from my daughter. I was hesitant but LOVE it. I have list around 10 pounds using fit bit, and syncing to mfp. I think mfp gas the best fiid database, and it is easier to diarize food in mfp, which summarizes in fitbit.
    My challenge is I am a fair weather ealker. I live in Canada and the weather has been great so far, thanks to El Ninio, but yesterday we got our first snow of the season. I need to brace the cold to get my 10 k steps in
    :#
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My other half bought me a Fitbit for Christmas and gave it to me early last week when I started focusing in on my weight goal.

Honestly I love it! It's taking a while to work it all out, syncing this to that, then to the Withings scale... Egads the technology! But the results so far speak for themselves - 6.6lbs lost since I put on the Fitbit a week ago. Plus it's really fun to use. I've never had so much fun losing weight, even with a disability!
  • katekams
    katekams Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I so much envy you all. I would love to have Fitbit charge HR but I cannot afford it. I know that it would be so much easier with it's help to lose that last bit of already lost 50lbs. Pitty they don't change price according to country you live in. For people earning in $ or Euro it's not that much this 150$ as for the others.
  • blondieabroad
    blondieabroad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been amazed with my fitbit too- I haven't focused on the steps EVERYDAY (since I'm on holiday and I"m also trying to enjoy) but when I get to the gym I make sure I don't leave until I get all my steps in. I've also lost 5lbs in the last week or so since I've been really focusing. It's also helped me a lot to think about my sleeping patterns. I love it!