Trying to lose weight and lower A1C numbers

Options
I was diagnosed with diabetes type II 3 years ago, but am not new to the disease...many in my family suffer with it. In my dad's last years with us, his sugar was rarely under 300, and he was heavily medicated for it. I've gone from Metformin with Glyburide to Invokamet 50. I'm now on Inovkamet 150 with nightly 10 unit injections of Toujeo. I can finally say, after 3 years of the docs playing around with my medications, that my morning fasting numbers are under 120. I've had two mornings where it was at 100, which is the goal...and will likely increase the Toujeo by one unit to try and get it back to 100, with consistency.

My wife, God bless her, isn't accustomed to cooking for a diabetic, so I cook most of my meals. With the MFP app, I'm better able to keep calories down, and keep track of my sugar intake as well. I only wish that it had an option to enter my daily glucose readings, so that I don't have to enter it in a different application.

I can't exercise due to health issues. My doctor has actually tole me to sit down due to the vertigo and heart issues I have, plus the syncope when I stand up and move about. (I'm prone to passing out just by standing up) Because of this, I have set my caloric intake to 1500, with a daily goal of being 100-250 calories below that.

I know of some "free foods" that I'm able to eat, but what do you suggest I do to kick up the flavor of a boring cucumber or light popcorn? What types of diabetic recipes are out there that will let me hit a satisfactory level of umami in my food, so that I feel more satisfied with less?

Replies

• JudiSchneider1
    JudiSchneider1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :smile: I am 63. Will be 64 in January. I just started this site a couple of days ago. I am in senior housing and have been hibernating since I got here 2 years ago. Now every time I eat something, I force myself to come down to the computer room to document. I live on the 12th floor, and have started to climb the stairs. It's tough but even one flight is better than nothing. I weigh 225 and want to get to 130. As I indicated, I'm diabetic and my A1C was as high as 13. I have really struggled to get it down to 8-9, but I thought that this sight might be just what I need. I also am clinically depressed and that doesn't help much. Later, Judi S
  • KetoTheKingdom
    KetoTheKingdom Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Look at the Low Carbers' Daily group.

The sticky LCD Launchpad is a good collection of information, and the LCD group has a lot of smart people with diabetes.
  • bluwingsskies
    bluwingsskies Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a type 2 diabetic I found out in 2013 that I have it and used to have better control and now I am attending a weight management program and trying to make changes so my sugars go down. I am also dealing with quite high A1C and triglycerides. I am seriously trying to make better choices as I am already starting to see effects of high sugars. Can anyone add any tips for someone my age? I am only 28 and feel like I'm too young to have it.
  • tinadecavele
    tinadecavele Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have found a lot of recipes on Pinterest and have you tried exercising in a chair I had a 6 way bypass and having issues with my legs but can do chair cardio and have fun easy ones on YouTube. I was diagnosis a little over a year ago and had my open heart 8 months ago. I have lost 65 lbs and no longer on insulin only using metformin and farxiga. I keep my carbs at 133 a day and try to exercise most days in the chair.