Introduction

Options
Hi! I hope this is allowed. I'm on the app and don't know where group rules would be. I've attempted to use mfp off and on for years with no luck. I've attempted paleo in the past but my husband isn't willing to try so I never stuck to it. I finally have a slightly better paying job so I think I can afford to make two meals now so I want to try again. I also gained 18# when I quit smoking. I already didn't like my body, now I loathe it. I am 30 years old, married to my high school sweetheart, and live south of Pittsburgh in the Mon Valley. I am treating myself to a personal trainer after the holidays to hopefully jump start myself. I suffer from fibromyalgia. I am 5'1" and 178#. I wear a size 12. I would like to eventually get to a size 6 or 117#. (This is where my Dr wants me) I'm hoping to find local groups on here for workout support but am still learning the search function.

Replies

• indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I started paleo with a Whole30. It's a great way to restart!
  • reannalynne
    reannalynne Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I started paleo with a Whole30. It's a great way to restart!

What is whole30?
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a link to Whole 30 whole30.com/. It is supposed to be like a jumpstart phase that is very strict, however they have eased up in some ways compared to previous years from what I have heard. I respond well to things like this, but maybe not for 30 days...It is up to you knowing yourself and what you can handle.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Whole30 is basically an intro to strict paleo-style eating. No grains, no legumes, no dairy or added sugar. Meat, fruit, veg, nuts and healthy fats/oils. The goal is to heal your gut, tame sugar cravings... It was life changing for me. I now eat primal.
  • lupie777
    lupie777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Hello I live 20 minutes north of Pittsburgh. I have been following paleo since February 2015. I have 4 autoimmune disorders and it has made huge improvements in my health. I take less medications now, I can exercise, and I'm in less pain. It's totally worth it! Please feel free to add me as a friend and best of luck to you!!
  • IAmHere4MyHealth
    IAmHere4MyHealth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was on paleo for almost 6 months a few years ago, then I ended up in a place where I couldn't get out to shop for more than 2 weeks. I ended up eating what was available with delivery, which is pretty much "crap" foods, and haven't been able to get back into the swing of it again. I felt great while I was adhering to the strict guidelines, but have managed to end up in worse condition than I was when I started a few years ago >:(.

Some of my setbacks include:

I have a roommate who isn't interested, and tends to bring home stuff that is WAY off plan. I'm good with that as long as it stays in her room, but when it's in the fridge/freezer it really knocks me off balance.

I have a very strict food budget, so I can't afford the wild, pasture raised, etc foods that are, if not required, at least "highly recommended" for the best results.

I have some pretty serious physical limitations which make most exercises difficult if not impossible. I'm pretty much limited to slow walking and swimming for now. I'm hoping that getting back into this lifestyle will help with a lot of the pain, and will allow me to increase intensity and duration of workouts.

I would love to hear any and all suggestions on how I can make this lifestyle work for me again. I felt so much better, and lost a ton of weight when I was working this program a few years ago, I would love to get back to that place in my life again!
  • IAmHere4MyHealth
    IAmHere4MyHealth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cool, I look forward to getting there again myself. I've managed to gain almost 75# since my lowest adult weight about 3 years ago! I know that when I was on track with the lifestyle I was moving much better.