Holy Cow! Prehypertension???

So I had my annual wellness visit last week and my systolic BP was 125, my LDL was high HDL high but good and my resting HR was 90! What the heck? I've been eating paleo/primal since Sept. I thought eating primal was supposed to help with these numbers? My BP has always been fine...

Replies

• closetlibrarian
    closetlibrarian Posts: 2,207 Member
    I don't know about you, but. . . . I get white coat syndrome. :( My BP is fine when I check it in a pharmacy, and my RHR tends to be around 60, but when I actually go to the doctor, the both jump. Maybe get an electronic BP device and monitor it yourself at home. Take it with you the next time you see the doctor, and ask them to compare your device against theirs so you can see if there's a significant differential.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Good idea. I can at least check it at the pharmacy... Also checked my resting again and it's 84. Somehow that just seems better than 90 lol!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    There are a lot of things nobody tells you that affect the numbers until you have a problem. If you are dehydrated at all, if you drank a lot of coffee, if you are in any pain or didn't sleep well. If you are sick...my BP was 140/98 on medication because I was sick and miserable. It was 110/70 the next time 2 days later. I had really high readings before from all the things I mentioned. For the cholesterol, can you give numbers, and what is your ratio?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    FWIW, there's a free iPhone blood pressure app. It's consistently very close to the results I get at my doctor's.
  • indianarose2
    Sabine! That is cool! I looked and found a HRM that scans your face....amazing and accurate! I couldn't find the free BP one. Do you have a name?
    Cindy- My chol is as follows:
    Total 218 H range is under 200
    HDL 73 H range is 40-60
    Tri 57 range is 30-150
    LDL 134 H range is under 99
    VLDL??? 11 range is 5-40
    Risk = 3
    BP 125/60
    My uneducated response to these numbers was surprise and alarm because I thought the style I was eating would produce stellar results. My doc is a standard western doc and I don't know that I "trust" any advice that he would give me if these numbers persist. Ex. Eat low cholesterol, low fat....
    I did read a bit about the HDL also TRI relationship on a paleo site (Rob Wolff?). I think they mentioned that if your TRI # was in the lower range the LDL number didn't signify as high a risk...nonoxidized cholesterol or something...
    It doesn't help that I just found out that the generous amounts of olive oil that I've been consuming is really "fake
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Sabine! That is cool! I looked and found a HRM that scans your face....amazing and accurate! I couldn't find the free BP one. Do you have a name?
    HDL 73 H range is 40-60
    Tri 57 range is 30-150
    VLDL??? 11 range is 5-40
    Risk = 3
    BP 125/60
    My uneducated response to these numbers was surprise and alarm because I thought the style I was eating would produce stellar results. My doc is a standard western doc and I don't know that I "trust" any advice that he would give me if these numbers persist. Ex. Eat low cholesterol, low fat....
    I did read a bit about the HDL also TRI relationship on a paleo site (Rob Wolff?). I think they mentioned that if your TRI # was in the lower range the LDL number didn't signify as high a risk...nonoxidized cholesterol or something...
    It doesn't help that I just found out that the generous amounts of olive oil that I've been consuming is really "fake

Your cholesterol numbers actually look pretty good. The LDL number is nearly always calculated, and the formula they usually use is known to break down when trigs are way low (as yours are), especially when HDL is high. The fact that VLDL is really low is also promising, and suggests that the LDL is the benign type (large, fluffy, not likely to gum up the arteries). Additionally, when you look at the actual studies about cholesterol and mortality, the low 200s for total is at the bottom of the mortality curve (in other words, both lower and higher result in reduced mortality).

I'd just watch the polyunsaturated fats. Perhaps switch your olive oil to avocado or coconut oil if your olive oil is indeed fake (which, if it's from Europe, it very likely is, unfortunately; thanks, Mob). Also, if you're concerned, then consider tightening up your diet. I noticed a few non-paleo things that, if you're sensitive to them, might be what's holding you back.
  • indianarose2
    Thank you Dragonwood!! I appreciate your insights! Having my BP checked again today but don't expect anything great due to having a cold.
  • indianarose2
    BP checked at doctor's office today 114/70! :-)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    I agree with Dragonwolf, that is not bad, and your ratio is decent. I never worry about high HDL, or a high total at all. If your ratio is decent, and it is, you are really a low risk by any standards. I worry when my HDL goes lower than way high! lol I used to have super high HDL, a great ratio, all in line even according to a traditional doctor, and thanks to a bad stint of junk food for a few months, my numbers are "good" but the worst I remember having. Food does affect it, but maybe it is taking more time for you? Or did you have worse numbers before?
  • indianarose2
    Never really payed attention to them. They are usually all good i think.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Determining if numbers are "good" or "bad" is part of the problem with relying on tests, and how the doctor decides to report the results as well. How one feels IS the real proof. I remember all the years that sick was normal, and still most of my tests came back a-ok, healthier than average, etc. As a carnivore I'd probably have numbers that the doctors wouldn't like and yet I'm healthier than ever (well, not at this exact moment). High cholesterol (there are many types of cholesterol, not just two) is actually associated with longevity and low rates of cancer and depression. All the things we've been made to believe about health and nutrition are just about all baloney, so with the tests built upon that misinformation I wouldn't put a lot of stock in them. And put a lot more importance on your own observations from day to day.

I would also have "white coat syndrome" as I have not seen a doctor in years and have no plans to ever again.
  • indianarose2
    Love this ^! Thanks for the perspective! I felt that way but was still taken aback by the results. All of the above responses and doing some reading on my own has brought me back to my happy place ;-) so thanks really. I'm a novice primal eater and have a lot to learn/digest. You've all helped a lot!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    HDL 73 H range is 40-60
    Tri 57 range is 30-150
    VLDL??? 11 range is 5-40
    Risk = 3
    BP 125/60

Your cholesterol numbers actually look pretty good. The LDL number is nearly always calculated, and the formula they usually use is known to break down when trigs are way low (as yours are), especially when HDL is high. The fact that VLDL is really low is also promising, and suggests that the LDL is the benign type (large, fluffy, not likely to gum up the arteries). Additionally, when you look at the actual studies about cholesterol and mortality, the low 200s for total is at the bottom of the mortality curve (in other words, both lower and higher result in reduced mortality).

I'd just watch the polyunsaturated fats. Perhaps switch your olive oil to avocado or coconut oil if your olive oil is indeed fake (which, if it's from Europe, it very likely is, unfortunately; thanks, Mob). Also, if you're concerned, then consider tightening up your diet. I noticed a few non-paleo things that, if you're sensitive to them, might be what's holding you back.

Wait, what? Is costco organic olive oil fake? Trader Joe's?
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    There is a lot of fraud and fakery with EVOO from Europe. Buy EVOO from California.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    There is a lot of fraud and fakery with EVOO from Europe. Buy EVOO from California.
    Thanks. Good to know.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Yes,on the evoo Recent news report have said that organized crime (the mob) have flooded the market with fake evoo (mainly European origin evoo). Crooks are always looking for ways to make money at the expense of our health! Hence the recommendation for California produced oils!
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    I've heard of that. The local ALDI sells the european kind, I think, of EVOO, but it would, sadly, be all I could afford, I'm sure. Anyway, my local Big Lots sells some coconut oil that's pretty good for an awesome price. Yes, it's saturated fat, but they say good things about it on some websites.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    I've heard of that. The local ALDI sells the european kind, I think, of EVOO, but it would, sadly, be all I could afford, I'm sure. Anyway, my local Big Lots sells some coconut oil that's pretty good for an awesome price. Yes, it's saturated fat, but they say good things about it on some websites.

Coconut oil is a great oil - but not on salads. Use it for cooking. Use EVOO for salads.

http://californiaoliveranch.com
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    kasandrinos.com/

Totally get your olive oil from this company!