sleeve revision to roux en y

Options
ChefBH
ChefBH Posts: 26 Member
Hi,
I had a sleeve done 2 years ago and had a revision this week to roux en y. My esophagus suffered damage from severe reflux from the sleeve, was twisted, and I also managed to get another hiatal hernia. My esophagus ended up being too weak to get fundoplication and ended up with a roux en y…I originally wanted the sleeve, so as not to deal with re-routing any plumbing or have mal absorption issues. I was wondering who else out there has done a revision and how it's working out. Thanks!

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I had to revise to RNY for almost the same reasons. I had terrible bile reflux at night and nothing we tried would stop it. Other than the malabsorption issues (have to really take vitamins now)with the RNY I haven't had anymore problems. I'm finally healthy, and am happy with that! Best to you!
  • ChefBH
    Options
    Karlottap, glad to hear that…makes me hopeful :) Merry Christmas
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas to you too @ChefBH! There aren't many of us around! Best of luck to you!
  • nataliestratton3
    nataliestratton3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Very interesting I have never heard of this happening! I wish you all the best of health and success !
  • ChefBH
    Options
    Thank you, @nataliestratton3 :)

• nataliestratton3
    nataliestratton3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :)
  • BarbaraR5563
    BarbaraR5563 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ChefBH wrote: »
    Hi,
    I had a sleeve done 2 years ago and had a revision this week to roux en y. My esophagus suffered damage from severe reflux from the sleeve, was twisted, and I also managed to get another hiatal hernia. My esophagus ended up being too weak to get fundoplication and ended up with a roux en y…I originally wanted the sleeve, so as not to deal with re-routing any plumbing or have mal absorption issues. I was wondering who else out there has done a revision and how it's working out. Thanks!

I had the Roux en Y originally in 2003. I had severe bile and heartburn issues that required a revision to my Roux en Y. It was major surgery but successful. The surgeon rerouted where the food went and then the food was able to process through. (very complicated) It was the worse surgery ever. Like some of you, my esophagus was severely damaged and now I have ruined the lining of it.

I am 5ft tall and a small frame. I got up to 321 pounds. I lost over 215 pounds and have kept it off. I have to take a LOT of vitamins like you all. People ask me if I would do it all over again since I had major complications and with no hesitation I would. I would have died one way or another. I am not going to live forever! I'm glad you all have survived. I thought I was alone.

Barbara
  • ChefBH
    Options
    wow @BarbaraR5563, glad youre doing well now!