What are you eating on Christmas Day?

Options
sunnyazgirl
sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
I just made up my Christmas dinner menu. I am going on the philosophy that it is just one day, not a lifestyle. So, not necessarily low calorie, but I am abandoning the fat & sodium laden veggie casseroles and replacing them with other choices that are a bit better. Still dressed up for a holiday meal, but a little healthier. For example, my Gingered Green Beans are higher fat than I usually eat, but will be full of healthy nuts instead of the canned cream soups. I plan to include a fresh veggie tray and fresh steamed and peeled shrimp for appetizer choices.

My main meal will be Prime Rib, Parmesan Roasted Potatoes (instead of potatoes cooking in the juice & fat of the roast), Glazed Carrots & Gingered Green Beans (instead of the fat-laden veggie casseroles), and my traditional gelatin salad ( made with sugar-free jello).

Other guests will be bringing the dessert and other appetizers. They will also be taking any left overs home with them.

So what are you planning for your holiday meal? Enjoy it, but remember that it is a HOLIDAY, not a HOLIMONTH! o:)

Replies

• cpw2109
    cpw2109 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'll be having a normal breakfast of 2 eggs in a bagel. I *might* treat myself to a slice of bacon.

For dinner, it'll be turkey, mash, roast veg, pigs in blankets, steamed veg and gravy. I'll also be having some christmas pudding.

So, really, it's not going to be all that different to any other day where I have a roast dinner.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,909 Member
    Options
    Deviled Eggs
    Green Bean Casserole
    Turkey Stuffing
    Jennie*O - Oven Ready™ Boneless Turkey Breast
    Jennie*O - OVEN READY™ Boneless Turkey Breast Gravy
    Maybe a brown and serve roll if I feel like it
  • voldemortisreal
    voldemortisreal Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Cornish Hen
    Stuffing
    Sweet Potatoes (two ways)
    Green Bean Casserole
    Deviled Eggs
    Dinner Roll w/ butter

There will also be ham, but I don't like ham. :smile:
  • lesliewynn14
    lesliewynn14 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Crab legs!!!!
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Most of my dinner is vegetables: sweet potato and carrot mash, pickled red cabbage, leeks, part boiled and then roasted in 1 cal spray potatoes, green beans and then a slice or two of turkey, two pigs in blankets, three cocktail sausages, sage and onion stuffing and sausage meat stuffing. Basically my mother hands me a plate of all the food and I eat what I want off it. Before I gained weight I'd eat about half of it and leave the rest.

TBH, it's the buffet of food you have to worry about. We have our Christmas dinner about 3pm and so we have a buffet style thing for dinner at 7pm and since my parents host the family Christmas party the next day there is mountains of food: salmon, lamb, gammon, leftover turkey and beef, mini pizzas, prawn rings, vegetable spring rolls, salad, potato salad, coleslaw, white bread rolls...not to mention the chocolate, crisps and sweets that are lurking around. Add in several bottles of Prosecco and Rosé and it's a minefield.

I think all things should be enjoyed within reason though. Bring on the Swiss chocolate! :smiley:
  • JayThomas2
    JayThomas2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Whatever my mom cooks, but usually left over turkey sandwiches.
  • bluenoser38
    bluenoser38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had a bad cold / flu this week, and today was the first day that I was really beginning to feel better. It was one of those colds where food doesn't taste 'normal', so my appetite was off all week, but it returned today in time for Christmas dinner.

I always cook dinner for my husband's family (his mom, 2 brothers and their families). I made two kinds of cookies (sugar cookies and gingerbread men), 4 pies (pecan, cherry, apple and pumpkin), pecan sticky buns, a braided bread wreath, and a traditional turkey dinner (turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, sweet potato and apple casserole, assorted veggies and pickles).

I logged everything, and came in at 532 calories over my allowance. Not the end of the world, and I plan to get back on track tomorrow. I sent some sweets home with guests, and I'm planning to make a turkey soup tomorrow.
  • cpw2109
    cpw2109 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weighed in before Christmas Eve and was 18st 12lb (a weekly loss of 2lb). Then weighed again when I got home after eating all of the Christmas foods. 19st 4lb! I put on 6lb in 3 days! I weighed in again this morning after getting back on the wagon and was 18st 11.5lb.

So, overall, this Christmas has been a good one - I've not held back on the food/drink, but instead of having all of that for 10 days, I had it for 3 days and was back on the straight and narrow as soon as I could.
  • sunnyazgirl
    sunnyazgirl Posts: 271 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It looks like everyone had a good plan! I also had a plan, but kind of went on a binge between Christmas and New Year's with the left overs and gained five pounds! :o But I have now lost it all and am ready to make this a very successful New Year! Thank you for all of your responses. Have a great January! :)