Calories and metabolic advantage?

Options
I would love to hear any comments/personal experiences regarding whether or not going low carb has allowed a larger fat loss for the sme or more calories as a "balanced" diet. Thank you for any feedback, comments!

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Conservatively speaking, I think the effect of a low carb diet in the long term is greater satiation leading to eating fewer calories overall. Initially though, you lose a lot of ketones in urine, and that might lead to increased fat loss until you start using ketones more efficiently.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I started keto, I didn't change calories at all, just macros, and I started losing weight. I lost about 8 lbs in the first 15 days and have lost 13 lbs total in 7 weeks. Before that I was really struggling to lose weight at all. (And I was already low carb, but aiming for 80-100 grams/day. Now I try to stick to 20-30gm net carbs per day, fats at 65% and protein at 25%.)
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I agree with PP, for me a lot of the success is in feeling more in control due to reduced hunger. When I am in ketosis I am not hungry, and do not get cravings. Eating low carb/high fat has a ton of flavour, so I don't (usually) feel deprived and feel extremely satisfied on a reduced calorie intake.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Three years ago I lost about the same amount of weight in the same time as I lost in the last 4 months. Back then I counted calories and walked 8000+ steps a day, this time I counted carbs and walked 5k+ a day. Nothing magic about keto - except this time I was not hungry and my IBD symptoms went away. No magic fast weight loss - its still calories.

Back then I put back about 10 lbs from not logging so I had to lose that [again] first.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've lost 12 inches off of my waist in ten months! That is fat lost! I've never managed this type of loss with any other way of eating!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I've lost 12 inches off of my waist in ten months! That is fat lost! I've never managed this type of loss with any other way of eating!
    Awesome NSV !!! I'm hoping for similar results on my waist !!
  • ArielEveHealth
    ArielEveHealth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I am very curious due to reading blogs like Dr Peter Attie and others who very meticulously counted calories and found much greater fat loss and body comp improvements on a low carb diet even when calories were higher. I have also read some of John Keifers work. I try to remain open minded. I am thinking depending on genetics and insulin resistance some people may lose more fat with low carb than a balanced approach.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The last time I weighed what I weigh now (about 9 years ago) it was my lowest pants size. Now after low carbing for 7 months, those are loose and I may end up having to go another size down. My waist measurement is smaller than it was then, I am pretty sure it hasn't been this small in something like 25 years.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I seem to lose more in ketosis than when not.

When I was logging everything I was averaging 1500 kcal per day. My caloric goal for 1.5 lbs lost per week was 1420 but I was losing 2-3 lbs per week even though I was sedentary and eating over my caloric goal. It was weird but I enjoyed it. ;)

Now I eat more, 1500-2200 kcal per day but I am still losing 0.5-1 lb per week. I now weigh 150 lbs but the clothes I wore at 147 lbs five years ago, when i was working out most days, are getting too big. I am wearing the clothes I wore in university, twenty years ago...those that I still have. ;)

I am a size 8-10. Basically at high school to early university size. I seem smaller than I was in the past at this weight. I love it. No idea why it seems to be working out this way. My body just likes very LCHF I guess. :)
  • ArielEveHealth
    ArielEveHealth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's awesome nvmomketo! What do you keep your carbs at?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I lost about 60 pounds many years ago on a regular diet over the course of about a year. The lowest weight I reached was about 145 then. I was able to wear some size 8 US jeans, but mostly had to buy 10's.
    This time, with only 39 lbs to my goal of 126 lbs, I lost 29 in 5.5 months, 24 of which was in the first 3.5 months. Ive been maintaining for the past 2.5 months. :neutral: When I was at 145 this time, the size 8's I had from my previous loss were too big. Like I could take them off without unbuttoning them. At that time I went shopping and bought new jeans in a junior size 7/8, which I think is like a women's size 6. Now, teetering between 135-139 for the last 2+ months, those new pants are getting big. I'm constantly pulling them up all day long! They are actually more loose now than they were even 2 months ago even though I have maintained within those 4 lbs the whole time. I don't have to unbutton them anymore either.
    I haven't been this size since I was about 16 years old and I weighed less then! My 17 year old daughter is about 15lbs lighter than me and I'm not too far from being able to borrow her jeans! Though, I guess I shouldn't! Lol I really don't think I would need to get to her weight for them to fit.
    I don't know why exactly, but I think that the muscle sparing aspect of Keto, with the way the body burns fat must explain why I can weigh more and wear smaller sizes than before. And why I can stay the same weight for 2+ months but see a reduction in size.
    Here's my weight loss journey over the past 10+ years.
    xun2xry89v10.jpeg
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Awesome graphic, @Sunny_Bunny_ . You've made amazing changes!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ You are such an inspiration. I love reading your posts :flowerforyou:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    That's awesome nvmomketo! What do you keep your carbs at?
    Thank you. :)
    When losing faster my carbs are usually at 20g or below. Lately they have been higher, about 30-40, and my ketostix are negative (again). I seem to slip out of ketosis easier than some, maybe due to my insulin resistance.

In the new year I plan to buckle down with a couple of fat fast days and making sure my carbs are low, which helps with keeping my appetite low and ketones higher.

@Sunny_Bunny_ you look great! I love those comparison pictures. Your results really are motivating! :) and I agree, the muscle sparing aspect of a ketogenic diet does seem to make a difference for me too.