Your input is needed

Options
ambsnic17
ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
Looking at getting some kind of hrm device. I'm looking at getting maybe a polar...would like something primarily to track calories burned on workouts that is waterproof. thoughts are welcome.

Which do you use?
Do you like it, why?
What are its features?

Thanks!

Replies

• kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. I used it for about a year during workouts and found that the online calculators and my fitbit/bodymedia were darn close. So I stopped wearing it. I did like it. Easy to use and will keep you motivated to get the burn you want if you are not there yet.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    @kmac1196 - does the polar have a strap you wear to calculate exercise burns? If so, did you have problems with it?
    I had a Fitbit and I didn't like it. I felt it gave me really low estimates. The polar does it give overall daily burn along with exercise burn? Thanks for your input
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I found very little difference between my HR numbers from my Polar blue tooth chest strap with my iphone and Polar's app and the HR numbers from my Charge HR.

Also wearing the strap to get an all day burn no. ran down my phone's battery. Fitbit is soooo much easier. I don't bike nor swim enough to worry about any inaccuracy in the Fitbit's guestimates for those.

Have you tried the ideas in the FAQ for getting the Fitbit to be more accurate for you? Step adjustments, how you wear the Fitbit etc?
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    @retirehappy -where would I find the FAQ? Is it a thread I have to search or stickie somewhere?
    I don't feel the Fitbit is accurate with my workout though. I want something that will give me a calorie burn per workout. I do more than walking and I feel that's all a Fitbit is good for.
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It does have a strap. And I didn't wear it all day. Just while exercising. They are all so similar in their numbers that it's really a personal preference. I think when I started focusing on non exercise energy expenditure it helped overall. Just being more active. But it's really up to you what you're looking for and why YOU want it.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    @ambsnic17--you said the Fitbit gave you really low estimates...can I ask which device you had? I have the CHARGE HR. I feel I get better estimates on this that I did with the Fitbit One.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    @skinny4me2be - I had the Fitbit zip
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I think my Fitbit One seems low, too. Trying to decide if I want to spend the money on a Charge HR.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    ambsnic17 wrote: »
    @retirehappy -where would I find the FAQ? Is it a thread I have to search or stickie somewhere?
    I don't feel the Fitbit is accurate with my workout though. I want something that will give me a calorie burn per workout. I do more than walking and I feel that's all a Fitbit is good for.

It is a stickie for this group.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and I still have people tell me it could be reporting too low......its got to be close tho!
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    I want to get one just to calculate burns. Anything has got to be better than that Fitbit zip I had
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Charge HR here and it seems to be under reporting my steps. One walk it was close the next off 20-25%. I'm in "test phase" now. I don't think it's as accurate as my Bodymedia Fit but I didn't like that because of the arm strap, plus the monthly fee to get a dashboard.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    Oh wow! 20%? That's really off!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Charge HR here and it seems to be under reporting my steps. One walk it was close the next off 20-25%. I'm in "test phase" now. I don't think it's as accurate as my Bodymedia Fit but I didn't like that because of the arm strap, plus the monthly fee to get a dashboard.

Have you used the info in the stickies FAQ to check things like step length etc. It takes a fitbit a while to get to know you, not just the height and wieght you entered in setup.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes - Zip is not going to be great except for walking and running. And some other step-based workouts.

Which with a manually corrected stride-length - I've been surprised just how dead on mine is for the distance - and therefore the calorie count too - compared to a much more accurate formula based on VO2max test.

But any HRM is not going to be good estimate either if your workouts are interval in nature (by big changes in HR) even if cardio, or lifting which is anaerobic.

So if lifting and intervals is your big workouts you want to log - forget HRM if that is sole purpose of it.
    If guessing if Fitbit was not accurate with HR, it is likely because of those reasons.
    Though some have accuracy issues just reading high HR for constant cardio.

And even if correct cardio usage - definitely not the cheaper Polars which use a very basic formula for calorie burn and very inaccurate compared to their better models.

But a nicer HRM with better calorie burn for purpose of better HR training also - now that could be useful, because you automatically get that with better ones.

What are the workouts you need better tracking on?
    Because for some - the database entry will be better anyway.

Like if you did intense cardio for 30 min x 3 weekly = 90 min, and Fitbit saw lower HR (which would actually balance out false elevated calorie burn perhaps) and said you burned 900 calorie, compared to nicer HRM of 1000 calories - is 100 calories wrong in a week worth a new HRM?

Now - if you did 90 min x 6 weekly of alternating intense cardio routine - now you might be talking a significant difference.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    @heybales -I guess I'm more curious of what I'm burning per workout more than anything. I vary with workouts, they're not always same. But I do both cardio and strength training from DVDs, YouTube, fitness blender workouts. (All from home) so I'm not really sure what's best. I thought maybe it would be a good motivation too. I mean I'm doing perfectly fine now having no trouble working out 6x week, it's habit/part of my day.
  • ambsnic17
    Options
    I wanted something too to show me overall daily burn, however the zip I didn't feel did that because not all my workouts were step based.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    During a period of training for 6 weeks, manually logging all my workouts based on better VO2max formula calorie burn, and the Fitbit responsible for rest of the day - my results based TDEE compared to Fitbit corrected TDEE was 8% off.
    And that could have been totally because of my manually logging, or combo of daily/exercise, or daily only - can't tell.

Now - my Fitbit was also height adjusted so that they used a BMR closer to a better calculated BMR based on BF%.

So one tweak, and manual logging.

Strength based would be better accuracy manually logged from database no matter what device - so having a device doesn't matter in that case.

The other stuff may be decently step-based or not. So HRM could help there, or not much help.