Red wine, alcohol, etc...

Options
Any input appreciated...have any of you found you are either able to lose fat the same or stalled with the inclusion of alcohol (as long as total calories are the same)? I love a glass or two of wine but I have read mixed reports about its effects on fat loss.

Replies

• marlamp10
    marlamp10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I tend to stall a little. I don't drink a lot, just socially, one or two glasses maybe once a month on average. I did have a couple of glasses of wine last weekend, and about a half glass on Christmas night. I also went a bit over my 20 carbs in food on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Calorie-wise, it was probably a maintain or slow-loss level overall.

It never knocked me out of ketosis, but I'm up a couple of lbs that feel like water retention more than anything. To be fair, I also started TOM on the 25th, so there are a lot of factors here. I did something similar (minus TOM) at Thanksgiving, and also stayed in ketosis but stalled for about a week.

If alcohol were important to me and I felt I needed to have a glass several times a week, I expect it would affect my loss. As it is, I'm in my late 50's and hormonal, so I already have enough stalling factors in my life as it is. I'll probably avoid it for awhile from here on.
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a drink since starting this LCHF WOE but in the past when I did weight watchers which is more low fat, low calorie, alcohol on a regular basis meant no loss. I am planning on having a drink on NYE for the first time and hopefully it won't mess me up too bad.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Any alcohol seems to make the scale go up for me for a few days. I'm sure it's from inflammation, but it can certainly cause a bit of a delay. If I have one small glass, maybe 4 ounces, of a dry wine with 3g carbs or so, it doesn't seem to have the same effect.
    It tends to take less alcohol to induce intoxication on low carb, so keep that in mind. I used to be able to drink a whole bottle and barely feel it. Now, 3 glasses (about 15ounces) will have my head spinning!
  • ArielEveHealth
    ArielEveHealth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I think I will limit it to one or two glasses on the weekends. I would prefer to eat my calories
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I don't drink wine but I do have vodka with water lemon and lime a couple days a week. I can usually have 2 glasses with 2oz in each and do fine it it slows me down its not a lot but on special occasions I will have more and it does start to slow down but not stop my loss. If it does affect me it's only for a couple days.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I had two glasses of wine at a wedding a few months ago. I ate as keto-friendly as I could at the reception otherwise but may have gone over a little. I did have a bounce up/stall for a few days but it was in the middle of about a 4-week stall so I don't know if the wine affected it that much.