measuring cooked vs. raw weight

Options
Autum1031
Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
I've seen this question on older threads, but not a really clear answer. When I am determining nutrients for food, do I measure the raw weight or the cooked weight? For example, say I divide out a 2 oz portion of salmon. After I cook it, it's now about 1.5 oz. Which is the accurate weight for counting out my protein, etc?
Second question: if my NUT suggests I don't eat more than a 1.5 oz portion right now, should I go by the raw or cooked weight?
Thank you!

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Raw is best, because different cooking methods and doneness will change the amount of water in it. However, if you do log cooked food, make sure you choose an entry for cooked. Foods like jerky and bacon are usually done cooked, because of severe water/fat loss in cooking. If possible, weigh it all raw.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Raw is preferred (because it still contains its moisture and cooking time cooks out various amounts of moisture). But as said above, note cooked or raw when you log. In recipes I usually log raw. For a meal which has larger batches - like head of steamed broccoli, or a pot of rice - I specify "cooked" or "steamed."
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I had this same question...I was always told the raw weight is the one to use....HOWEVER, when I met with my NUT last week, we had a conversation about this, and she told me that from now on I am to use the COOKED weight of my protein, so I am going to go by what she said. I would say talk to your NUT and see what he/she says.............
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I use both. If I am logging a recipe, I use raw weight, or if I know the exact portion size before I cook I use raw weight, but if it's something prepared I use cooked weight.
  • Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll try and pay more attention to the possible entries to look for 'raw' or 'cooked.' Right now, I'm able to figure out raw weight for a lot of things,but that will change when I really return to work and I get a lot busier. It's really surprising how much the weight can change!