Does eating gluten make you go on a binge?

Options
I have noticed since going gluten free that not only do I feel much better, but I have less of a desire to binge eat. On the rare occasion that I have eaten gluten, I immediately feel bad and end up going on a binge that takes a lot of will-power to break. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Replies

• zyanadryn
    zyanadryn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that to. I would eat wheat, and eat , end eat... Then feel super sick. I am so happy i don't any more!
  • AnjellaRose_GF_SillyYak
    Options
    Yes its true that gluten acts like an opiate and make you crave more and more. when I get slimed, even though Im sick and in pain and wanting to die I am unable to stop eating.
  • KarenJosefczyk
    KarenJosefczyk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started craving sugar (ice cream) & salt (nuts) more after going GF. I am also bloating after eating ice cream now. Anyone else?
  • moma4boys
    moma4boys Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed with Celiacs a year ago I started eating more gf baked goods than I had previously eaten of regular baked goods. It was probably because the gf lifestyle was forced upon me rather than optional. I don't recall gluten making me binge back when I used to eat normally.
  • npostemni
    npostemni Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    While going GF I sometimes have the need to binge but I make a healthy GF granola bar and eat that to get my "carb fix" I also have a tendency to eat Glutino pretzel sticks. They actually taste amazing and also help with my "carb fix".
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Very interesting you should post this....After being GF for 3 weeks, I ate 2 homemade cookies (russian teacakes-type)). WIthin an hour, had gas like you wouldn't believe...and wanted, really WANTED, to stuff my face with more wheat-based products (crackers, bread, etc.). Took all my willpower to not cheat and of course the never-ending tooting helped. lol
  • GlutenfreeOma
    GlutenfreeOma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just want to eat everything. I don't crave gluten. I crave nuts, cheese, gf cookies, EVERYTHING!! It's terrible! It's as if I can't get full!
  • christyk117
    christyk117 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It will be 6 years in May since I was diagnosed with Celiac. I haven't purposely eaten gluten since. Lately I've been dying for favorite foods. I live outside of Philly and I'm craving soft pretzels, cheesesteak and hoagies. I'm waiting for a weekend where I don't have to leave the house so I can binge and be home sick.
  • toriann22
    toriann22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have had issues most of my life with various foods. I went gluten, corn & dairy free since the end of December after having food testing done. I feel better than I have felt in years! I have lost almost 15 lbs. My Daughter has been eating the same way for over a year as she was sick and the doctors couldn't figure out why. We saw a Natropath and here we are feeling good! I find that my appetite has went down and I have no desire to cheat.
  • FreshSage
    FreshSage Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    yes yes ... huge binge trigger... for me anyway...
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I need to be gluten free because I'm celiac. I don't eat gluten -no celiac ever should.