any ideas (besides fruit and veggies) for quick on the go snacks

Options
I'm gluten and lactose intolerant. It seems like snacks can quickly become the calories that should count for a meal - like a few tablespoons of hummus with some GF pretzels is like a small lunch calorie wise.

Replies

• mrskirby14
    mrskirby14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like the "just a handful" nut and trail mix packs from Trader Joe's. They have almonds, cashews, and trail mix already protioned out in easy-to-grab plastic pouches.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I like light Laughing Cow Cheese, light Baby Bel cheese, or light cheese string cheese for a snack.
  • hap1792
    hap1792 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    try substituting some fresh vegetables instead of pretzels, like celery, carrots, cucumbers, and peppers.
  • helron816
    helron816 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i do rice chex with craisins portion them into snack bags ...that way i have them ready ..it satisfies me when i need something crunchy and sweet.
  • msymsed
    msymsed Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try to keep anything I eat that is sweet down to 7 grams of sugar or less. I love Stauffer's Animal Crackers because I can have 16 for 120 calories and only 7 grams of sugar. Eating them one at a time helps with that need to chew. I do keep my calories to 1200 so if I am getting close to the mark, it is easy to just decrease the number I eat.

I also like the PB2 chocolate peanut butter (mixed with water) on rice cakes.
  • hunneysue
    hunneysue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What are your typical go to snacks? I take the things I love the most snack wise and divy them up into 100 calorie packs. That way I am just getting a little something to curb the cravings/hunger but not over doing it (if left alone with a tub of ice cream, or a bag of chips.. it is not pretty, and I hate myself afterwards lol!) Personally I love pickles and veggies and fruits, but I try to not have the same things over and over... try grilling pinapple rings, or poaching pears in some wine, or cucumbers with tomatoes and raspberry vinegarette. I try to make whatever I can ahead of time and bag it up or divy it into containers. Check your local stores for the 100 calorie packs and get inspiration (but don't buy them, they are over priced for what you get and for a tiny more one time effort can do the same thing for a lot less)
  • Floridaman789
    Floridaman789 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hand full of almonds or walnuts. A spoonful of almond butter no sugar or salt.
  • cassmlucas
    cassmlucas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have recently been introduced to having 2 slices of prosciutto and 3 dried figs as a snack. About 170 calories, and it has a nice salty/sweet combination. The protein keeps me going for a while too. :)
  • Juliesq57
    Juliesq57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    DRIED PRUNES
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 serving (40 g) (about 5 dried prunes)
    Per Serving % Daily Value*

Calories 100

Calories from Fat 0

Total Fat 0g 0%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 5mg 0%

Potassium 290mg 8%

Carbohydrates 24g 8%

Dietary Fiber 3g 12%

Sugars 12g

Protein 1g
    Vitamin A 8% · Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 2% · Iron 2%

• RunionX4
    RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I like to 100 calorie packs from Nabisco or something like that. They Chace sweet and salty snacks but just watch that your not going over you sugar or sodium count. I also like the almonds or cashews or other nuts. They also make those in 100 calorie packs too. Or you can buy a large container and make your own with the snack size zip lock bags (this is what I do cause its cheaper.)
  • skincaregirl66
    skincaregirl66 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    String cheese and a banana, 28 almonds i put them in baggies and stash them also jerky is another one i like i love the prosciuto and fig idea going to give that a whirl. Thanks everyone for sharing i love getting new ideas!
  • KayV85
    KayV85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oat Cakes, Rice Cakes etc are always good. Snack a Jacks, Special K Cracker Crisps are my fav at the mo. Popcorn is supposed to be a good one & also nuts.
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley granola bars come in a two pack. I take a quarter of a banana sliced very thin and place this on top of a teaspoon of peanut butter spread thin on each piece of granola bar. Sprinkle cinnamon on top and sometimes sprinkle a teaspoon of sunflower seeds. I wrap this up in plastic and refrigerate it.
  • JaneenieK
    JaneenieK Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    B Up Bars are delicious - well most of them are. I really like the peanut butter one.
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Seapoint Dry Roasted Edamame, lightly salted 100 calorie packs. I was pleasantly surprised to see how large a portion you get for 100 calories and I found them delicious and filling!
  • JRoo724
    JRoo724 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A mango does the trick for me. Cut it up and have it ready.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have mentioned this but what I do is get a big bag of whatever my favorite treat is and I spend a few minutes weighing and portioning it off into little bags, so whenever I want a snack I have a little bag ready to go, and I don't mindlessly overeat :)
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My favorite "trail mix" is:
    1 T pumpkin seeds
    1 T slivered almonds
    1 T semi-sweet chocolate chips
    That's pretty much always enough to tide me over to the next meal and it's 158 calories.
  • dweeben
    dweeben Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    12-14 almonds is 100 calories, and you can roast sweet potatoes then much them on the go. I used to do this a lot. I also used to make up my own protein cake bars - protein powder, oat flour, banana or unsweetened applesauce, baking powder, and flavouring. In the oven. That protein powder had artificial sweetener in it but you can sweeten it up with bananas or a spoon of honey.
  • caaaath
    caaaath Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you've got time to prep your snacks, I'd recommend a hard boiled egg.