Any Sleevers gaining?????

Options
I had VSG in April 2013 Lost 100...now putting weight on...anyone else
having this struggle???

Replies

• Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I had VSG March 2014, I'm struggling with the holidays, and all the junk food in the office. I had put on 3lbs over Thanksgiving and lost 2 of them. Still haven't shaken that last pound.. I am making a conscience effort though to not indulge too much in the junk that is so available..
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I had a sleeve in 2010. Lost a total of 110 pounds the first year. I maintained for about a day and a half (really), then, began a steady gain, for a regain of sixty pounds before I "saw the light". My biggest mistake was returning to eating the same foods that I ate before the sleeve. I rationalize that I could eat it since my sleeve wouldn't let me eat much at a time (recipe of disaster it turned out to be!).

Evaluate your food choices, and log every bite so you know what your putting in your body!

It would be nice to be able to eat the foods that we believe we love, but even with WLS this must change to sustain the weight loss for life!

I learned to love myself, and realized that I deserved every good thing that came my way!!
    I had given complete strangers power over my food choices too! In the past I would run for the potato chips for comfort. Now, I accept the compliments, because I deserve them, and they don't guide my food choices!

Best of luck to you !
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I am almost 2 years out- lost 135, gained back 8, but seem to be holding steady now. I did some pretty crazy stuff to get to my lowest weight (over-exercising, restricting, etc), so I am ok with where I am. Sometimes I eat junk, but I still watch my overall calories and I exercise for an hour or more just about every day.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It really helps if you put your surgery into perspective... You lose weight by eating less than you burn. All people everywhere follow that rule and that rule only. You can diet and lose weight because you eat less than you are burning. For me, I knew *how* to diet I just couldnt stick with it due to overwhelming constant hunger. If I could have stuck with the diet (ANY diet really), I would have lost weight without surgery just the same.

The surgery is solely and simply a way to help you stick to the diet you would have to do anyway to lose weight. It is not a substitute for a diet - it is like a semi-permanent diet pill - appetite control. Just like taking diet pills - if you eat a lot despite not being hungry from the pills, you will not lose weight and you will gain if you eat too much. With WLS, over time you gradually learn to eat "around" your surgery (ie. slider foods, grazing etc) - usually unconsciously because you feel a little invincible since the initial weight loss happened so fast.

Too many people think the surgery does more than it really does... And eliminates the need to ever "diet" again... it definitely does not... The only difference is that now when you pick a diet (or calorie goal or permanent way of healthy eating), you have some hope of sticking to it. WHich if you could have done without surgery, you would have lost weight anyway. I couldnt ... so I had surgery. Its definitely easier now, but the mental aspect of it is still always difficult (I *want* to eat the fun foods :) )
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm a little more than 2 years out and I'm learning that it cycles with me. I bounce around happily in my maintenance zone, then put on 5-6 pounds more. I can't say that I "diet" per se, but I adjust, (cut most of the crap from my diet), food journal some while I'm losing and it eventually comes off. Halloween candy followed by Christmas cookies have me 5-7 pounds heavier than I'd like right now so I've had to refocus again. Exercise is one thing I rarely ever slack on. I have a 5 day per week habit developed since VSG of 45 minutes on the stationary bike and typically follow that with some strength training which I believe helps a lot. Little indiscretions matter a lot less when you have an extra 500 calories per day to play with and your metabolism is boosted regularly. Thinking about adding another 15 minutes to see if the full hour workout will help the process along!
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    It really helps if you put your surgery into perspective... You lose weight by eating less than you burn. All people everywhere follow that rule and that rule only. You can diet and lose weight because you eat less than you are burning. For me, I knew *how* to diet I just couldnt stick with it due to overwhelming constant hunger. If I could have stuck with the diet (ANY diet really), I would have lost weight without surgery just the same.

The surgery is solely and simply a way to help you stick to the diet you would have to do anyway to lose weight. It is not a substitute for a diet - it is like a semi-permanent diet pill - appetite control. Just like taking diet pills - if you eat a lot despite not being hungry from the pills, you will not lose weight and you will gain if you eat too much. With WLS, over time you gradually learn to eat "around" your surgery (ie. slider foods, grazing etc) - usually unconsciously because you feel a little invincible since the initial weight loss happened so fast.

Too many people think the surgery does more than it really does... And eliminates the need to ever "diet" again... it definitely does not... The only difference is that now when you pick a diet (or calorie goal or permanent way of healthy eating), you have some hope of sticking to it. WHich if you could have done without surgery, you would have lost weight anyway. I couldnt ... so I had surgery. Its definitely easier now, but the mental aspect of it is still always difficult (I *want* to eat the fun foods :) )

Awesome post
  • Mom2Cubs
    Mom2Cubs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am a year snd a half out from surgery. I am up 13 pounds from my lowest. Getting back on the gym on the morning. I just left the grocery store with a cart full of good, clean, healthy food for the whole family. We are all getting back to healthy this year.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    bikrchk wrote: »
    Exercise is one thing I rarely ever slack on. I have a 5 day per week habit developed since VSG of 45 minutes on the stationary bike and typically follow that with some strength training which I believe helps a lot. Little indiscretions matter a lot less when you have an extra 500 calories per day to play with and your metabolism is boosted regularly. Thinking about adding another 15 minutes to see if the full hour workout will help the process along!

This. Not only does exercise leave room for more variety in your diet, it also has untold benefits for your overall health and emotional well-being. I'm way less likely to overeat for emotional reasons because I'm less stressed in the first place.

• shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Gained a few pounds over the holidays. Got almost all of it back off now just about a half of a pound to go. Really did not do well with my food choices over the holidays and pushed my sleeve several times. Been doing better this week with eating protein rich salads:) Good Luck getting back on track to stay healthy.
  • tugsandpulls
    tugsandpulls Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We all slip on holidays we are still humans it is how u do after that counts
  • ggrn955
    ggrn955 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hate to freak anyone out, but I will stand up as a (bad) example. I had the sleeve 2/19/14 and only lost 60#, which was a huge disappointment to me, but I felt great. Then changed jobs and reverted right back to all old "stress eating" habits. Quit recording. Quit logging in here. And gained back 55 of the 60 I lost.
    So now I am right back to basics. So now I am following what I KNOW works: Weigh. Measure. Protein first. 64 oz of water. Even if I have stretched the sleeve out, I can shrink it back. But I totally ignored all my cues. Continued to eat when satisfied. All the wrong foods. Carbs. Candy and sweets. Some may be able to do that (I thought I could, why I chose sleeve over by-pass) and now I KNOW I CANNOT DO THAT. So...back to basics.

I can't rewrite my history.

But I can orchestrate my future.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Good attitude, ggrn! If your program has an ongoing support group, consider going. Mine has a separate relapse prevention group for vets.
  • appletee
    appletee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    2012 sleever lost 40 gained back 20. Want and need to get back on the wagon. Would appreciate any resources on how much and what to eat.. I can't remember.