New Zealand Low Calorie Finds

Options
Hey Kiwis! :smiley:

I know a lot of us struggle to find low calorie snacks that are easily transportable or storable for places like handbags, cars, office desks ect...

I thought it would be good to start a new thread of recent treats and snacks that can be bought from most supermarkets?

At the moment I am loving....

Homebrand Cassava Chips - 12g = 60 Calories
Weight Watchers Jelly - 250ml (One Packet) =18 Calories
Special K Biscuit Moments - 1 Packet = 98 Calories (Taste just like Shrewsbury's).
Whittaker's Mini Slab Dark Peppermint - 15gms = 81 Calories
Peckish Thins Salt and Vinegar - 12 Crackers = 89 Calories
Tasti Raw Snacking Berry Bliss - 1 Packet = 164 Calories
Maggi Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup Sachets - 200ml = 45 Calories

I am constantly on the look out for new snack ideas that don't perish! I do have a lot of fresh snacks on hand too but we all know its "By failing to prepare, you are planning to fail!"

If you have something on hand close by you are less likely to choose crap.

Hit me with more ideas under the 200 cals mark! :smile:

Replies

• SaraAlf
    SaraAlf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Emma,
    I second thins - the only issue is it is hard to stop at 12. I generally end up having to share the rest of the packet so I don't eat them in one sitting.
    I was always told that if you want something to fit in that 10am or 3pm, you want low calorie but high protein as more likely to fill you for longer. So add hummus to thins.

My main thing to do for a snack are bought from supermarket but does take prep. Is like a sunday chore whilst I watched some tv show on laptop.
    1 - I buy a celery and 2 carrots. Chop them up, divide it up in to 5 pots each 100gs the mix is generally half and half and then a tub of hummus 200g. The hummus sits in the fridge at work and each morning I pick up one of the tubs. Great for when I get the 3 o'clock pangs. Plus any leftover celery and carrot gets chucked in to some form of cooking over the week, prepared chopped veg, or the other half takes them as snacks for him at work.
    2 - I regularly buy different nuts and dried fruit from new world or pak'n'save and then using the provided bags make up little snack bags for the week (~50g each), it's taken time to learn the different combos but i generally keep them below 200 calories and great as different every day and perfect for grazing on, and again leftovers can be used the following week or for cooking or adding to breakfast.
  • emmaskye15
    emmaskye15 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh I really like the idea of Hummus! I haven't really ever got into this so maybe I should give this a whirl!!!

I saw at New World yesterday new packets in the chip aisle "Apple Chips Zapps" 15gm packets for 56 Calories :smile:
  • pilotsroo
    pilotsroo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    SaraAlf wrote: »
    Hi Emma,
    I second thins - the only issue is it is hard to stop at 12. I generally end up having to share the rest of the packet so I don't eat them in one sitting.
    I was always told that if you want something to fit in that 10am or 3pm, you want low calorie but high protein as more likely to fill you for longer. So add hummus to thins.

My main thing to do for a snack are bought from supermarket but does take prep. Is like a sunday chore whilst I watched some tv show on laptop.
    1 - I buy a celery and 2 carrots. Chop them up, divide it up in to 5 pots each 100gs the mix is generally half and half and then a tub of hummus 200g. The hummus sits in the fridge at work and each morning I pick up one of the tubs. Great for when I get the 3 o'clock pangs. Plus any leftover celery and carrot gets chucked in to some form of cooking over the week, prepared chopped veg, or the other half takes them as snacks for him at work.
    2 - I regularly buy different nuts and dried fruit from new world or pak'n'save and then using the provided bags make up little snack bags for the week (~50g each), it's taken time to learn the different combos but i generally keep them below 200 calories and great as different every day and perfect for grazing on, and again leftovers can be used the following week or for cooking or adding to breakfast.

Some great tips! A great way to get in your serve of veges! Do you measure out your hummus and weigh ?
  • caj45
    caj45 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I buy the Much More brand pack of 18 mini calci licks. They are only small iceblocks, that have the Heart Foundation red tick on packet and they are only 217kj each, (about 50 calories approx) and 7g sugar. I know they aren't something you can throw in your bag if you are out and about but it satisfies my ice cream cravings when it is hot.