Why does everyone have to focus on my weight? :(

I live in italy and here people are much more open about saying exactly what they think- - - and that includes weight. I am 5' 1" and weigh 118. This is supposedly within a the BMI limits, but it is clear that I am overweight...I mean...I have rolls of fat.....but I am also able to hide it pretty good too...but I guess the Italians can see the rolls of fat under my clothes because they constantly focus on my weight. Like JUST NOW...my mother in law (whom I love...) just saw a commercial on tv for sweat belt you wear around your stomach to make it flat and said next time I am in the USA, I can buy that for myself. :( And it is not just her....people constantly commenting on my weight...I mean..I don't get it....it makes me very self-conscious and sad. Does anyone else experience this type of thing?

Replies

• amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Weight, what I eat, what I wear, my hair style, how I am raising my kids, where I keep my shoes.....my mil (whom I love) comments on everything. I think we notice what we are sensitive about more, and people remember our reaction at some level and comment more about it.
  • jenniferr084
    jenniferr084 Posts: 1 Member
    I think all women experience this type of "input" from too many sources. Just because someone says something doesn't mean you have to let it in: Don't let the *kitten* grind you down (not mine, but a quote I love).
    If you want to make any change do it for yourself, and yourself only.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,407 Member
    When I was 28 lbs heavier no one said anything now they don't shut up. It's kind of like thanks but mind your own business. Some days it's harder than others to take all the comments others it's like whatever. You're not alone. :)
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    My MIL, typically a sensitive and thoughtful woman, unsolicited brought up my weight and gave me the backhanded compliment that "men like real women like us." She is medically morbidly obese and I am of normal weight, but I was already feeling fat and it hurt to hear that I looked fat too.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    I have complainers about my acrylic nails even. I guess they think I am a fast woman or something. I do have a big personality that wants to hug everyone. It seems there is always someone diminish us.
  • ragazzatexana
    ragazzatexana Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Everyone!!! Thanks for your input.....gosh...I guess it is normal.....sometimes I feel so alone....sorry you guys get ugly comments too...but I guess as jenniferr084 said....it is best just not to let it get to us. Thanks again and wishing everyone a happy new year!
  • jbranham5
    jbranham5 Posts: 11 Member
    People seem to comment on just about everything except when I am carrying a few extra pounds. No one said, "wow, you have gained weight"! But now that I am at my goal weight, they say "OMG, you are so skinny"! People also comment when I cut my hair, grow it out, have a new shirt on.... I think it is just the way folks are relating to each other these days. I have taken to abruptly changing the conversation to the weather. The weather was the way we related to each other 10 years ago and it was far less personal.
  • PrincessLaiba
    PrincessLaiba Posts: 22 Member
    I hate thsi too its my body and i am prone to the consequences of my health but still people wont stop telling me that whats good for me