Book vs ebook vs audiobook

Options
My reading habits have changed so much from technology, wondering what others preferences are. I love the feel of books for literature & self - improvement, I feel I get more out of the story with a book in my hands. For info heavy reads or chick lit / easy reads, I reach for the kindle /phone. For humor or biographies, audiobook is the way to go, I enjoy them so much more. How about you?

Replies

• fitgoals23
    fitgoals23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I usually prefer having a physical book, but ebooks can be really convenient.
  • tskolney
    tskolney Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I personally love reading regular books, but i sometimes tend to fall asleep while reading them. but when I'm reading a book on Kindle, i can stay awake for hours cause of the light glare. so it depends on what I'm reading at the time for which method is better for me haha
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I like having a real book in my hands. I read a couple books a week and love going down to the local used book store to trade. Been trading there for almost 30 years. I am going to be sad to see small local businesses slowly fading away because of technology.

All my daughters, granddaughters and my wife have ebooks, and are constantly trying to get me on board.

Some things I am never going to do.

1. Read an ebook.
    2. Go through the self check line at the market. If I wanted a job at the store, I would apply.
    3. Text. I would rather engage people with my head up, not LOLing on my phone.

I know I am archaic.
  • jkay123
    jkay123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I prefer ebooks in general, because I can always easily have my book(s) with me. I also like that they don't take up space. We have a lot of paper books too, and I find that finding a neat way to store them, dust them, etc. can feel like a burden.

The exception to ebooks are my knitting books. Those just work better in paper format.

I do enjoy audiobooks as well, but I reserve those for exercise bike time. :smile:
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,638 Member
    Options
    Don't have a kindle, not interested in getting one. I already spend waaaaay too much time staring at computer monitors, lol. Give me an old-fashioned book any day of the week, and twice on days I actually have a minute to spare to read in the first place.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh paper books...how my hand used to cramp from holding a book for hours. I still tend to read them when a new story from my favorite author appears at the library. I do love ebooks but the audiobooks are the winner for me at the moment. I'm at home with my son all day and I find it much easier to watch him without my nose in a book. They are really nice for long distance travels as well. I love being able to do housework, watch my little man, and enjoy a great story.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Love paper books but my eyesight is declining and I finally got the Kindle app on my iPad - I am enjoying reading again! I also love to listen to audiobooks while I am on walks or working on my art and sewing.

Is there a list going of great reads - I would love to get some recommendations. :)
  • RunionX4
    RunionX4 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love my books but when on a trip or something I love knowing I have something to read at all times with the ebooks. I have also found that I really enjoy audiobooks while on a long drive or riding my bike. It's very calming and I feel I ride farther when listening to a good book rather than music.
  • aliceocean2
    aliceocean2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My love for physical books will never fade, and I willl NEVER make the switch to ebooks or even audiobooks.

The pages Under my fingers, the smell, the words typed with different fonts, the weight in my bag.... Couldn't live without it

I also never go to libraries... cuz if I fall in love with a book, I can't bring it back. I'm a firm believer that when you read a book, an exchange happens. the book becomes a part of you, and you leave a little part of yourself in the book. Once that connection is made, I can't just walk the book back and throw it in the bin. I'm guilty of so many Library tefts lol.

So I mostly shop in used bookstores. A lot of them here I walk in with a bag of books who need a new home, with which my Relationship is over, and walk out with new ones.

I know, I'm weird.

• kellibee2000
    kellibee2000 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I tend to alternate heavy & light reads, nonfiction & fiction, so i end up alternating between ebooks & paper too. I won't go too long without a real book or i feel like I'm cheating ;)