When did you start to actually feel "good"?

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
I am 5 weeks post op and still don't feel that great.....it is getting better, but just always feel either just "ok" or have a stomachache. I eat very little--about an oz of protein at a time....more than that gives me a terrible stomachache. I am getting in my protein and most of my fluids.

I don't have "buyers remorse"....yet.......but I just want to feel better!

Thoughts?

(Should add I have lost 30 lbs since my pre op 11/13/15)

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 months to feel good occasionally. Now, 11.5mo post-op, I feel good most of the time.
  • Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery a few days after you, on 11/16. It's only been this past week that I've started to feel better, though I do still struggle with a lot of gas/ bloating/etc. But the first 4-5 weeks were really, really, rough.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had surgery 10/28 and still don't feel great. Alot of it is we do not consume enough calories or a wide enough variety of foods to get the necessary nutrients that we need. I do have days where I feel better then I'll have a really bad day. I'm still learning what's not going to agree with me as well. But, I've lost really well and can feel a tremendous difference in my joint pain. I know things will get easier!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh my I know how you feel. I was just told I could add regular food but I don't feel like I'm up to it. I was also told to add a few more bites when I eat but I just can't do it. I just wish the fog would lift. I fall asleep when I sit down to rest, not at all like me. My nut told me yesterday it will pass and I'll start to feel better. Exercise does seem to help me but I have to have the energy to do it. We will get there.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    When eating low carb, as we are forced to after WLS, we enter a state of nutritional ketosis. This ketosis makes us lose sodium through the urine. This sodium loss make us feel weak, and tired. My recommendation is to add a tbsp of salt to some broth a couple of times a day as long as you remain in ketosis (for me that will be forever since I have found it to be a life changer!)!

I don't know how to post links to things, sorry! I recommend looking it up because knowledge is power!

• kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Karlottap, it didn't even dawn on me about the sodium. I'm having really bad leg and feet muscle cramps so that has got to be what is happening to me. I'm going to try adding the salt. Thanks for the input!!!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    It seems counterintuitive, but will help tremendously with the energy!
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    For me it was when I was able to start eating regular foods again, because I was getting more of a mix and re-introducing veggies (healthy carbs). I was seriously carb deficient in the early days - less than 20 per day somedays not even hitting 15, I was tired and in a fog. But as my diet expanded I became like the energizer bunny - my nutritionist was the one who told me I was actually hurting myself not getting enough carbs or fats. I have a macro plan now and try very hard to hit my goals everyday - proteins first then carbs and fats (but I try to balance each meal to hit them). It's a constant calculation and balancing act - without the carbs and fats I actually stalled myself out early on too...talk to your nutrionist. Healthy carbs are essential to healthy living and body function - just make sure they are the right limits.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    When eating low carb, as we are forced to after WLS, we enter a state of nutritional ketosis. This ketosis makes us lose sodium through the urine. This sodium loss make us feel weak, and tired. My recommendation is to add a tbsp of salt to some broth a couple of times a day as long as you remain in ketosis (for me that will be forever since I have found it to be a life changer!)!

I don't know how to post links to things, sorry! I recommend looking it up because knowledge is power!

Wow that is interesting. My nut. actually said I was probably in ketosis but the fogged me never even thought about it when I got home. I will try your suggestion and find some information on it to read. Thanks!
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow great info!!!! Thank you!
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I felt good after 2 weeks, when I could finally stop sleeping propped up. Have felt GREAT since week 4. Down 65 pounds now and feeling fantastic. Everyone is different, tho.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm up and down...mostly up! If I get sick, I fear food for a few days and really struggle to get my nutrients in. Them there is the fatigue!!!! Exercise helps, but I have to do it as soon as I wake up most of the time or it won't happen! When food doesn't sit well, it takes days for my tummy to settle.
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My energy has been pretty good, but boy, when that battery is dead, it is dead. I have to recharge for like an hour and then I seem to be good to go. I also find that if I go to long without having anything, my energy can be zapped quickly.

Sounds funny, but I feel like a cow now. Graze a bit on protein (grass for them), process it for a bit, graze a bit on protein, process it for a bit, add water, wait a bit, graze some more, water, lather rinse and repeat.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am two & a half weeks post & feel pretty good. However, I go back to work on Monday (as an elementary school teacher ) and I hope I will have enough energy to make it through the day & the entire week!
  • KhloeJadie
    KhloeJadie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had RNY two and a half weeks ago, I'm still feeling pretty terrible and I've been wondering the same thing. I feel like a slug lol, no energy at all and the smallest things make me extremely tired to the point where I need a nap. I've been wondering this same thing, it's great to see others have gone through it and I'm not alone here.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Please try a generously salted serving of chicken broth and see if that doesn't help your energy! Recovery from surgery is tiring, but shouldn't get worse, only better. Especially this far out from the surgery. The salt will replace some electrolytes that your losing through urination.
  • lpdjones
    lpdjones Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you are tolerating dairy, how about adding grated parmesean cheese to your soup. It contains a fair amount of salt, and some protein....a nice plus. This has helped me.
  • aimsz
    aimsz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it's not just me either. I barely made it through grocery shopping last night my husband asked if I was tired because I was walking slow and off kilter and looked drunk! I wasn't sleepy but felt like I had to sit down real soon. It's like that most days I just don't feel great. I only manage about 36oz of water a day I'm going to try some diluted gatorade tomorrow
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Just be careful with the sugar in the Gatorade! Hope it helps!