Supplements, scams and general quackery.

Options
I know that fitness is a huge industry. It seems as if now every time you talk with any one about fitness, the first question out of their mouth is "What supplements are you taking?". Half the time they will try to sell you on theirs. Not so long ago I was in pretty good shape and got there with good food and exercise. I intend to go the same route this time around. What if any supplements do you take? Do you feel like they've worked as promised? What are some of the craziest products you've been offered? No offense to anyone who may be a distributor of these products, but the two I find craziest are the wraps that just compress your fat, and the patches that are supposed to give you energy / increase your metabolism. Thoughts?

Replies

• MakGun
    MakGun Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use a fat burner called shredz. They have a bunch other stuff and it can get pricy so I just stick w that. They have female and male supplements. The only other thing I use is whey protein powder I like the isopure unflavored because I just put in with whatever I want n make a smoothie. I haven't really tried a lot of weight loss things and supplements because a lot have tons of caffeine in them and I can't take them. The ones I'm using so far seem to b ok!
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on most of the supplements out there. I've taken my fair share and most don't do much. The two things I take everyday without fail are a protein powder (GNC standard whey for 48g) and multi-vitamins (technically a supplement). On occasion I will take a water reducer if I've been eating too much salt and feel bloated but never for more than a few days. I think you are right in that it really just boils down to healthy eating and good old fashioned hard work.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    For supplements I only take a multivitamin, Vitamin D (doctor's orders) and use a protein powder when I am working out consistently. I have a friend who sells It Works products (wraps and supplements) and I sometimes think she use more supplements then just eating healthy food. She has discussed a few products, a fat fighter, a detox, a greens probiotic, but I just don't think it is what I want to get into. A lot of those things cost a decent amount of $$ and I don't want to become reliant on a product to see results. I do think consumers need to be cautious, there are a lot of claims out there that have little to no scientific proof of benefit as well as very little regulation as to what it actually contains and if you are getting what you paid for.
  • JustinAckley
    JustinAckley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think you have hit the nail on the head with consumers proceeding with caution. It seems as if where the FDA is concerned the supplement market is essentially the wild west. I never want to preach my approach to diet and exercise to my friends and family, but it kills me when I hear them say things like "I'm taking all the right supplements or I've been doing ______ (fad diet) and I'm still not getting results, only to end up quitting in frustration and the only thing that got lighter was their wallet. Is it possible that in part the diet and supplement industry is in some small part to blame for the obesity epidemic in the US, by leading consumers to believe that there is an easy fix, which in reality only leads to frustration and resignation for most who try the quick fix?
  • mandymay01
    mandymay01 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    All of my friends sell different weight loss supplements. Ive bought a one month suppy from everyone over the years to be nice and nothong works. I will tell them it doesn't work because they should know what they are selling is a scam.
  • Azercord
    Options
    The best way I've heard thermogenics/weight loss pills put is that they burn about an extra meals worth of calories a week so about 500-600 calories. This may give you a edge if you are focused and in it for the long term but you are one cheat meal away from wasting your money. Supplements can help give you an edge but you still have to do the work.
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Currently I make sure I take my Iron and BVits just to insure energy.. I was anemic for a long time and It did not help at all in the exercise the department.. but to weight loss supplements thank god Ive never fallen victim to appetite suppressants, laxatives, etc. The only thing I did try was the super fruit cambogia.. not even sure how its pronounced anymore.. Im just still pissed that I fell for a 14 day " free " trail of the "new breakthrough" a few years back and then was charged 40 dollars when I tried to get of a monthly plan of 75 your automatically signed up for. I kind of thought I was the type of person that knew better, but I saw Dr Oz endorsed, was feeling *kitten* about my weight at the time, and then one thing led to another.
  • NutritionalResponsibility
    NutritionalResponsibility Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The supplement industry relies on creating a market of unsuspecting consumers who believe they can look like the "natural" fitness models used in advertisements. Ironically, these "natural" fitness models are not achieving their edge from supplements but from some combination of steroids -- even just in small doses to get that "Photoshopped look."

I am on the road to achieving my fitness goals -- and this has only taken place after I STOPPED taking supplements. I still have half a bag of unfinished protein powder that I haven't touched since getting serious about reaching my goals.

I believe creatine is the only proven supplement to actually work -- it creates more fullness in the muscle through fluid retention. Believe it or not, there is no legit scientific evidence that something like even whey protein will actually enhance your performance. Before a beach vacation, I am contemplating supplementing with creatine to get a bit more muscle fullness (I've used it occasionally since the late 90s), but otherwise, I'm happy eating my calories from tasty food rather than powders.

Check out Rusty Moore's Supplement Conspiracy:

http://www.fitnessblackbook.com/supplement-conspiracy.pdf
  • prairieprana
    prairieprana Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The only supplements my husband and I take are daily multivitamin (pre-natal for me :) we are going to start trying soon so I switched to pre-natal in the event we conceive) and whey protein post work-out.
  • scottsteurer
    scottsteurer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Im not allowed to say what im taking because MFP will flag me and say that im promoting their competitors.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I used to use a lot of various weight loss tools, several of which are no longer on the market. I definitely lost weight, but was of course calories restricting and all that.
    I think it may encourage people to make "better" choices if they are prone to the sunk cost fallacy. For example: "I spent $100 on pills/devices/whatever, I can't eat that pizza and beer. I'm not going to *not* lose weight because I've invested so much in this."
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a lot of vitamins, fish oil, glucosamine, fiber, etc. to supplement the things I rarely get enough of in my diet. None of it is intended to make me lose weight, but some of it should make me more fit / athletic.

My case is also probably a bit different than most. I have some medical issues and get some tests at least annually (or more frequently). I've struggled to lose weight for several reasons... in more than 2 years, I've only lost about 30 lbs. Anyway, it isn't conclusive but one of my tests last fall came back with a result that could indicate malnourishment. That really sucks because I can't seem to lose weight quickly enough (sometimes not at all) so I'm probably eating too much, despite that I am constantly hungry. So I'm trying to make sure I'm at least getting all of the micro-nutrients my body needs. So far, continued measurements show a steady decrease in muscle and increase in fat %. FML
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    midwesterner85: What kind of diet are you on? Maybe you should talk to your doctor about a low carb-high fat diet? I'm not an expert, but you can still get lots of tasty vegetables (micronutrients) in LCHF, take vitamins, get lots of sodium, and healthy fats raise good cholesterol and lower the bad.
    Again, I don't know your specific medical issues, but anecdotally it works for me.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @DorkothyParker Yes, I agree that low carb could be helpful. It's just challenging to get to low carb. As far as sodium, I'm more interested in decreasing than increasing.

My HDL has always been challenging and LDL has never been a problem. For the past 18-24 months, though, my HDL has improved as my LDL has stayed low. In fact, I got flagged for having too low of total cholesterol on a screening in 2014. For that test, HDL was slightly above the bottom of the range and LDL was 17. The dr. wasn't concerned about the LDL and just said that the lower it is, the better. Most recently (October), my HDL was 55 and LDL was 36, so I think I've got the cholesterol under control. Obviously, a diet with more animal products / meat will increase LDL, though. Despite that, I do believe an increase in protein consumption will help.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 @DorkothyParker Careful with low carb, research is a bit shaky there depending on how low you go. Long term studies are lacking as most participants couldn't maintain it, but were able to stay low calorie. Also "low carb" can mean different things. People get really emotionally attached to their low carb lifestyle, become armchair scientists, and have trouble critically reasoning. Don't believe the hype or get sucked in by fanatics, the discussions and types of low carb diets are reminiscent of religious sects!! (Ex-Paleo here, 3+ years). If you are shooting for a calorie deficit, cutting carbs will remove a lot of extra calories, but you can easily keep it at 150-200 g a day to achieve that. Some "low carb" studies actually consider 200 g low carb, that's how inconsistent "low carb" is. I personally shoot for 150 g a day on a 1500 calorie diet and it's not hard at all.

To answer the original post, I supplement with cod liver oil (vitamin a), liquid magnesium (cured my migraines), and liquid vitamin d. I also use whey protein mixed with homemade chocolate malt powder and whole milk as a post swimming supplement.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    mmmpork wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 @DorkothyParker Careful with low carb, research is a bit shaky there depending on how low you go. Long term studies are lacking as most participants couldn't maintain it, but were able to stay low calorie. Also "low carb" can mean different things. People get really emotionally attached to their low carb lifestyle, become armchair scientists, and have trouble critically reasoning. Don't believe the hype or get sucked in by fanatics, the discussions and types of low carb diets are reminiscent of religious sects!! (Ex-Paleo here, 3+ years). If you are shooting for a calorie deficit, cutting carbs will remove a lot of extra calories, but you can easily keep it at 150-200 g a day to achieve that. Some "low carb" studies actually consider 200 g low carb, that's how inconsistent "low carb" is. I personally shoot for 150 g a day on a 1500 calorie diet and it's not hard at all.

To answer the original post, I supplement with cod liver oil (vitamin a), liquid magnesium (cured my migraines), and liquid vitamin d. I also use whey protein mixed with homemade chocolate malt powder and whole milk as a post swimming supplement.

A big part of why low carb would help me is to reduce BG spikes, for both timing (affects everyone, but is worse for those on insulin) and sensitivity changes. I have both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. As for type 1, I have more knowledge than most physicians and am certainly no "armchair scientist."
  • Azercord
    Options
    @mmmpork which magnesium do you use, I used to use a powdered one (can't remember the name) and it tasted so bad that I stopped halfway through the bottle. I have migraines and know that magnesium can help but I'm also lazy so I haven't tried any other brands :smile:
  • mmmpork
    Options
    @Azercord I use Trace Minerals Ionic Magnesium. It says to take 4 mg a day, which I worked up to initially (2 mg in the morning and 2 mg at night, 4 mg at once was too much for me). Now I just take 2 mg a day in the morning. If I were to get a migraine then I'd probably start taking more but 2 mg a day seems to work well for me. Don't worry about overdosing... magnesium is a natural laxative so your body will let you know ha ha.
  • mmmpork
    Options
    @Azercord I totally lied, I use Trace Minerals Megamag, I just got confused when I looked on their site because the bottles look the same. I just double checked in my cabinet and realized my mistake!!
  • dykesrobert09
    dykesrobert09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tend to do a lot of experimenting with different supplements that are out there. The big key that everyone seems to forget nowadays is proper eating habits first. Supplements are called "supplements" for a reason. They are not meant to base a diet on. Before I added in my supplements, I figured out my daily calories and macros and built a nutritional plan around it. I adjust it from time to time depending on what I see but it is the staple.

I regularly use glucosamine & MSM, MusclePharm Armor-V multivitamin, Optimum nutrition Pro gainer as a breakfast substitute if I am unable to cook my eggs and oats, and I use a regular whey protein after my workouts.

Currently, I'm giving Jim Stoppani supplements a try. Pre and post workout drinks and ZMA. I'm enjoying them and I feel like they are making a difference for me. My soreness and recovery seem to be cut down compared to without and I definitely sleep better with the ZMA, but this is all based on how I "feel". To each his own.