Liver

Options
Syleyna
Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
I've always been told that organs are full of nutrients, but I've never been able to get my head around the idea of eating them. Saw some chicken liver in my local grocery, and I am thinking of grabbing some. But what do I do with it?! Can I cook it up and throw it through a stir fry like I would with normal chicken? Or is there a special way to cook it? What flavours go best?
More to the point, what kind of TEXTURE and TASTE does it have? Is there something comparable?
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have never liked liver, but I know how good it is for you. I heard a suggestion to have any organ meats ground into ground beef as a way to eat it without really knowing, but I haven't tried that myself.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I too will mix it into ground meat. I don't really like it on its own except for small amounts of liver pâté.
  • HedgeHaug
    HedgeHaug Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Being from the South, chicken liver, as I know it, is battered and fried then smothered in a white or light brown gravy....Hmmm.

Try dredging it in egg then coconut or almond flour with a bit of flaxseed meal. Lightly salt and pepper it to your taste. Fry it in coconut oil or similar until browned nicely. Drain it on paper or cloth. Eat it hot. Try dipping it in a gravy of heavy whipping cream, salt, pepper and thickened slightly with a TINY bit of xanthium gum or the like (unless you know how to make a lo-carb roux and gravy...anyone? SHARE IT, PLEASE!!!!).

The texture is slightly "mealy" with no striation in the meat. It can have a slightly bitter bite, like good coffee, but not unpleasant.

If you eat for pain control, remember that liver is a filter organ. I'm not sure why that matters, but it does for me. Maggs
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Omg my dad makes the best liver pate from chicken livers! It's hard boiled eggs, chicken livers, onion and bacon fat!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Pate is about as far as I am prepared to go when it comes to organ meats... I hope you find a palatable way to prepare it, as i too have heard it's chock full of nutrients.
    My only caveat would be to try and source organically raised/free range meats, particularly liver, from organic raised animals, due to the antibiotics etc etc they pump "regular" raised animals with. This is only what I have read, not sure how accurate it is.. But it makes sense, as toxins/drugs all pass through the liver.
  • CrewZen
    CrewZen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Pate is about as far as I am prepared to go when it comes to organ meats... I hope you find a palatable way to prepare it, as i too have heard it's chock full of nutrients.
    My only caveat would be to try and source organically raised/free range meats, particularly liver, from organic raised animals, due to the antibiotics etc etc they pump "regular" raised animals with. This is only what I have read, not sure how accurate it is.. But it makes sense, as toxins/drugs all pass through the liver.

Heck yeah! Also try to go organic with all high-fat animal foods - because toxins concentrate in the fat.... and are filtered (and concentrate) in the liver. While I'm not a toxicologist, I am an environmental engineer and frequently work with risk assessments involving toxicity models, etc... This type of info along with a real understanding of the horrors of glyphosate (roundup) have moved me to invest in organic as much as possible feeling that it is cheaper than having the health issues down the road!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Can't stand liver but gizzards are great boiled with my fav spices and hot sauce!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Some people will chop it into tiny pieces and freeze it, then swallow it whole, like a pill, to get the nutrients without the taste.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating beef liver and actually craved it. Never got into the chicken source. I am guessing I ate pork liver but we killed and froze mostly beef that we raised. Chicken liver was what my dad used to catch catfish.
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Here's a great recipe for crispy chicken livers using coconut flour...

http://meljoulwan.com/2012/01/08/crispy-spiced-chicken-livers/
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Chicken livers are delicious if they're fresh and not overcooked. They're supposed to stay pink.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    After making the above post I went to a local greasy spoon and had beef liver and onions. The only vegetable that fit was cabbage so I got a trip order and water. The liver was sliced very thin but had next to no breading by the time it got to my table. I ate the boat load of white cooked onion as well as the boat load of cabbage and was fine that evening and the next day. Beef liver is not everyone's cup of tea. Last night I went back to the same place with my son and I had three eggs over easy with three strips of bacon plus three cups of coffee with 8 little cups of half and half in each cup. The waitress was still disgusted over what I ate the evening before. I am pretty sure she is not into LCHF.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I grew up eating beef liver and actually craved it. Never got into the chicken source. I am guessing I ate pork liver but we killed and froze mostly beef that we raised. Chicken liver was what my dad used to catch catfish.

Best catfish bait there is!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Chef Rocco Dispirito is the one who advocates mixing in up to 2-4 oz of minced liver into ground meats to up the nutrient quotient. I still haven't tried it, but dear me, I'm HOOKED on Braunschwieger liver pate. I love it for breakfast, smeared on some cheese (raw/fresh - uncooked) or low carb crackers. Also, it's GREAT heated up and smeared on say chicken breasts, topped with cream cheese or something. It's a HUGE flavor booster in it's garlickly yumminess. In fact, I just bought some last night... I was looking to make chicken breasts again tonight (last night's had avocado, salt, lime, and cheese), and I might just smear and broil some of this up... *drools*

From what I understand, not overcooking is critical to making this taste delectable. I haven't braved making my own yet, but there are lots of great keto friendly recipes out there!!!