Weight loss wardrobes

Options

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    truthfully, I had some outfits taken in, but was never happy with how they looked, doesn't pay to tailor necessarily.

get new and enjoy !
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I have an idea for pants for the ladies that has worked for me.......buy a nice pair of long black workout pants with a bit of a flared or boot cut leg. You can dress them up or down with different tops or boots but they'll last a long time while you're losing. It's helped me a lot!

I also started wearing tighter fitting stretchy tops.........they still look good, or even better, as you lose weight!

Don't wear any of these to the gym though because then you won't feel dressed up when you wear them out to dinner or to work.

Also, buy one or two nice pairs of jeans, wear them as long as you can and then hand them down. Pants don't matter as much as tops......IMO! And tops are cheaper to buy!

And seriously.........at our age, none of us want to go through this again, this is it, give the big clothes away.

Someone needs them but it won't be you!

I like your idea about the long workout pants. Btw, I did give my 18s and 20s to a friend and donated all my 16s. I have 3 pair of jeans that actually fit. I was at Costco and they had Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans. There was no design on the pocket, so I am going to buy them and dress up the pocket with rhinestones, beads, or special stitching - or pay someone to do it. Lol.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of the weight loss, my seamstress was able to take old things in a size or two.
    I still see her now for clothes that I buy brand new so she can make adjustments -- the result is that the off the wrack outfits look tailor made for me. What a great and unexpected bonus of weight loss.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    That is great Roda. I will have to keep that in mind. Those last 3 jeans no longer fit, but I found 3 more smaller jeans (my favorites) tucked away in the corner of my closet, so I wouldn't get rid of them. One pair is from 2006, it was a favorite but might be too dated. It is so funny. I can remember when I bought them, where I was working and the struggles I experienced - all though an article of clothing.

In about another 20 to 30 pounds, I will be the weight I carried through most of my life and I will need a completely new wardrobe. I gave away all those clothes a long time ago, I thought I would never see my normal size again and by the time I did - there would be all new styles, so I might as well let someone get some use out of the clothes.

I'm never letting my weight get out of control again.
  • E_Brault
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I finally fit into my beautiful designer dress. I found it difficult to zip the last couple of inches. Is there anything that will help with zipping and unzipping the zippers on the back of a dress?
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Enjoy wearing that dress. :)
    Maybe try something like this for getting it on. 'Not sure about getting it off.
    http://www.bookshelfboyfriend.com/how-to-zip-up-a-dress-by-yourself/
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    A little off topic, but I have a dress that I dearly love and haven't been able to get rid of. It's wildly aspirational/unrealistic that I would ever be the weight and shape I'd need to be to fit into it. I've thought of making pillows out of it because I like the fabric so much, but that seems sad. Should I donate it?
  • E_Brault
    Options
    @RodaRose thank you. That idea is perfect.

@kes840 when I gained weight, I donated my sizes 10 & 12 bc I didn't want them to go out of style and be of no use to anyone. I also thought I would never see those sizes again. I held on to a couple of my favorite jeans, but it has been 8 years and I can't even imagine that I bought the jeans that now fit me.

But I hear an emotional attachment to that dress, I say hold on to it. You can lose the weight. Add me as a friend and we will help each other. Then, when that dress fits you, you can choose to turn it into a blouse, use the fabric as cuffs on a jacket, use the material on jean pockets or even pillows. But first lose the weight and take that pic of you in your favorite dress - who knows you may just want to dance the night away!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I say keep the dress. I weigh less now than I did in high school. As for fashion, everything comes back eventually, lol.
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks, friends. Keeping it!
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    kes840 wrote: »
    Thanks, friends. Keeping it!

Good choice.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    kes840 wrote: »
    A little off topic, but I have a dress that I dearly love and haven't been able to get rid of. It's wildly aspirational/unrealistic that I would ever be the weight and shape I'd need to be to fit into it. I've thought of making pillows out of it because I like the fabric so much, but that seems sad. Should I donate it?

What about wearing it with a jacket, or making the bottom part into a skirt or the top into a vest?
  • E_Brault
    Options
    That's an excellent idea for all of us with older clothing. I have a few dress shirts that have collars that are very wide. Do you think my tailor can modify them - to make them more narrow? or is it a waste of money?
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Collars are a little bit tricky (costly) depending on the tailor.
    Here are two easy fixes I found for men's shirts:
    http://articlesofstyle.com/60094/easy-updates-to-old-shirts/
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Change-a-Shirt-collar-into-a-Mandarin-Collar-with-/
  • Fugley01
    Fugley01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have purposely gone and bought a couple really nice shirts that are one size too small (on sale). They will give me a little incentive to keep losing the flab.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    That's an excellent idea for all of us with older clothing. I have a few dress shirts that have collars that are very wide. Do you think my tailor can modify them - to make them more narrow? or is it a waste of money?

It's worth it to ask. You can always say no and donate the clothes then.

• Slim2fitit
    Slim2fitit Posts: 24 Member
    Options

BRaye325 wrote: »
    I have also had luck in getting some temporary clothes at Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Not my usual shopping places, but you'll be really surprised what you find there. Some items will still have original tags.

I think us ladies are luckier because we get elastic waists
  • Slim2fitit
    Slim2fitit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Luckily I didn't throw away on the way up so I'm shopping my own wardrobe on the way down.
  • 1cand0it2
    1cand0it2 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I use a consignment shop. I take my old (fat) stuff there, and buy smaller stuff. It feels like I'm renting clothes, because the smaller stuff becomes the fat stuff and the cycle repeats! Although I'm not too proud to buy used clothing, a lot of it is new with tags, and there is also a lot of designer stuff.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Let's hear it for elastic waists! :mrgreen: