Keep or delete?

Options
NewSue52
NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
There are people on my friends list who haven't logged in for 2 or more months. What do you do with inactive friends? Keep or delete?

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I usually delete them ..but lately there as been a glitch with MFP that say recent friends who have added me have not logged in 2 months but thats not right because they had just added me
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have just deleted 3 that have been inactive for 3 months, then got a message from one saying she had been poorly and asked why I deleted her!

I think only you can make that choice.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I keep them. I have hope that they will return, and many have. I can't help but think about someone who decides to come back and finds their friends deleted them.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I keep them. I have hope that they will return, and many have. I can't help but think about someone who decides to come back and finds their friends deleted them.

This
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'll keep them on my list and hope the New Year motivates them to begin again
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I routinely remove people who have been gone for more than a couple months.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If it is someone I "know" I will keep them but if I don't see them regularly then I often delete. I'm a little gun shy after having had a bad experience because of an open diary.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If it is someone I "know" I will keep them but if I don't see them regularly then I often delete. I'm a little gun shy after having had a bad experience because of an open diary.

These two reflect my philosophy, too. If it's someone I interacted with a lot, then I keep them, otherwise, I have about a two month cutoff. I figure that if you've been gone for that long, you probably won't remember me if/when you come back, and if you do, you can always send me a friend request again.

It's nothing personal, and I fully expect the same to happen to me if I were gone that long.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

These two reflect my philosophy, too. If it's someone I interacted with a lot, then I keep them, otherwise, I have about a two month cutoff. I figure that if you've been gone for that long, you probably won't remember me if/when you come back, and if you do, you can always send me a friend request again.

It's nothing personal, and I fully expect the same to happen to me if I were gone that long.

Yep, ditto this.
    However I'm lazy and it takes me too long to go in and check every single friend...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »

Same here. Now on FB I have Unfollowed a bunch of late because of got tired of junk reporting they posted. :(
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I just keep them. Sometimes they come back.
  • erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends on MFP that have gone astray but I've been friends with them for so long I'm crossing my fingers and toes I see them back in the game. But if someone adds me and then falls off the MFP cliff and isn't to be seen or heard from in months I usually delete them. You have to make this decision to be healthy and lose weight on your own and a handful of people on your friends list usually don't make or break that decision. If I had 2 friends I would be just as motivated as I am now to make it happen for myself. If someone needs advice or motivation or cheering on, I am here to celebrate with you, but you've got to put in the work too!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. I have friends I knew first from other places, and they often disappear for a few months at a time. I keep them so I can still be here to cheer them on when they return. Other folks, though, if I notice they've been inactive for a while and I only know them from here and never really formed a personal relationship with them, I'll delete them. They can always request me again if they come back.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Depends on who they are. If I haven't had much interaction with them and they disappear then I will delete them after awhile. If I had a lot of interaction and like(d) them then I keep in case they come back.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I delete any inactives or closed diaries. A month or so maybe? Unless I know them personally. I'm happy to refriend someone if they come back. Just keeping the list clean.

I've also considered but not acted on trimming my list when all they post about is bread, high carbage, and cheating. Again, I ask myself, why? I'm happy to encourage and have needed it myself, but I'm not savior or daddy, so....

But... it's also pretty simple to just ignore so I'm not crazy about it
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a lot of people who disappeared sometimes pop back up around January.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have no reason to randomly scroll through my list of friends, so would not even notice/think of deleting them if they hadn't been active... I have, however, deleted cyber-friends whose posts within my newsfeed/home page were offensive or regularly de-motivating. I'm a strong believer of each to their own, but I am not going to spend my time here defending my food choices or health beliefs!
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything w/ my friends list where having folks on it who are inactive gets in the way of anything that I do on MFP, so I never remove anyone for inactivity. I've only removed folks if they frequently post things that I would rather not see. On MFP that's a very rare thing.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    radiii wrote: »
    I don't do anything w/ my friends list where having folks on it who are inactive gets in the way of anything that I do on MFP, so I never remove anyone for inactivity. I've only removed folks if they frequently post things that I would rather not see. On MFP that's a very rare thing.

Pretty much this. I have deleted friends before that had been inactive for 6+ months. But haven't really looked at the list in awhile. I have deleted people who always offered unsolicited negative,critical, just plain ugly advice on my food log ALL THE TIME!!! For a long time I kept it closed because it made me very self conscious about what I showed people I was eating and I very seldom click on the done for the day button because I still have non-keto friends on my list and I am not sure how they would react to the sometimes 150+gms of fat a day. Probably faint, I guess. But I have opened it back up to friends only since I think I have a pretty good friends list and got rid of all the "negative Nellies". I am here for support and not to be dragged down for my food choices. :)
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I generally just ignore my list but did go through at new year and delete anyone that hasn't logged in for six months or longer. Although, there are some that I am more friendly with that I keep in the hopes that they will come back.