Eat when hungry or at meal times

Options
Very curious to hear your responses. On keto I find I never get hungry and could easily go most of the day with just one meal so would you suggest to just carry on like that or eat at least 3 times a day at breakfast lunch and dinner as I read about metabolism slowing down if not eating regularly.

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Eat when hungry or not at all. I'd rather have one really satisfying meal per day that force myself to eat for the sake of eating. Part of the reason I got fat in the first place was because I felt I "should" eat.
  • Syleyna
    Syleyna Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Eat when youre hungry, for sure. Some days I'll must have a shake, other days I'll practically eat my fridge. Listen to your body, once you get past carb-cravings, it certainly knows what's best.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Eat when hungry but ....

I like breakfast so I almost always eat it - unless I feel full

I eat after doing an hour of weight/equipment workouts - even if not hungry. But I don't eat after doing a long walk unless I'm really hungry.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat when hungry, unless it looks REALLY good. ;)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I am working towards eating when hungry. Think that feels more natural than forced schedule of meal times
  • Hermie123451982
    Hermie123451982 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies it makes sense as I always used to eat becUse it was a meal time even if I wasn't hungry. Will start taking my multi vit to help get all my nutrients.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies it makes sense as I always used to eat becUse it was a meal time even if I wasn't hungry.

Me too.. I don't eat breakfast anymore, but when lunch time rolls around it is deeply ingrained in me to just eat! And once I start eating, it unleashes the hunger monster lol
    It's a habit i'm going to break :+1:

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I wait until hungry, now. The unhungry days even out with the hungry days. Is different to get used to, but becomes the norm.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat when hungry. I have coffee with heavy cream for breakfast as I'm normally not hungry in the morning. I eat lunch around 2 or 3 and dinner about 6. I usually have a snack before bed. Somedays I'm just naturally hungrier so I eat more snacks or tea with cream. Others I'm not and I'll skip lunch.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I eat when I am hungry. I typically ignore the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" stuff. All that breakfast is, is breaking a fast. Sometimes I don't eat until after lunch. Sometimes I wake up and am hungry right away so I do break my fast then. I am learning more and more to listen to my body, instead of shoving food into it a XX hr because someone says/thinks I have to. I still manage to get all my calories in for the day without any problems. I do have a BPC on my work days because I don't know when I will actually get to sit and eat. That depends on our call volume. That keeps me full throughout the morning and I know if I don't get to eat til later I will be ok.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat on a schedule. I get hungry at the same times everyday.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I eat somewhat on a schedule +/- a couple of hours. And some days I am more hungry than others so I might eat more often and more quantity on those days. A day I am less hungry, I might eat a meal an hour later and it will be less quantity or more of a snack than a meal.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    So, my conflict is that I am trying to get enough protein, so I've been eating 3 meals. Hard to get my protein in otherwise. I'm feeling full, so I'm not going to eat. Conflicted.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    So, my conflict is that I am trying to get enough protein, so I've been eating 3 meals. Hard to get my protein in otherwise. I'm feeling full, so I'm not going to eat. Conflicted.

Protein drinks?
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat within a few hours of waking up it can occasionally cause some bathroom issues (or maybe I should say that eating something in the morning is part of keeping things running smoothly for me). Outside of that exception, I only eat when I'm hungry.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I ate when hungry today and snacked on nuts. Turns out I had 600 cals by dinner time but I could not think straight. I was only a little bit hungry but ate a stack of prawns, olive oil, coconut cream etc trying to intake fat n protein. Brain back again.. Silly that I need to learn proper hungry. With carbs I get fatigued as a warning. With running low on fuel using a high fat diet, apparently I just get stupid!
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I ate when hungry today and snacked on nuts. Turns out I had 600 cals by dinner time but I could not think straight. I was only a little bit hungry but ate a stack of prawns, olive oil, coconut cream etc trying to intake fat n protein. Brain back again.. Silly that I need to learn proper hungry. With carbs I get fatigued as a warning. With running low on fuel using a high fat diet, apparently I just get stupid!

Not silly at all I don't think. I am working on this really hard and learning to listen to my body to feed it when it is hungry and not just when my brain is bored. If I think I am hungry I will get up, move around, drink some water and wait 1 hr the reassess the situation. If I still feel I am hungry, I will then eat. So far it is working and I am never starving hungry, nor do I feel overly stuffed or like I should have waited to eat. Thankfully it has been working for me and I haven't had any crazy blood sugar drops or brain fogs or just being plain "hangry" like I would have on a high carb diet when I waited too long to eat.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat before I get hungry, cause if I wait til I feel hungry I eat too much. I usually eat about 5 times per day about 3 hours in between smaller meals or so, depending on exercise.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat before I get "hangry", so just after I get hungry...lol!
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I try to just eat when hungry. I've found that by eating a large breakfast I no longer am hungry at lunch so I just skip it. I will eat about 140 Cals of nuts around 2 or 3pm just to stave off hunger. When I get home I immediately eat some shrimp and that keeps me from being too hungry at dinner.