How to beat boredom?

Options
freeinHim
freeinHim Posts: 2 Member
Hi all....

I'm fairly new to rowing. I purchased a Concept II with PM5 last January. I used it 4-5 days per week in the beginning, then when the weather turned nice, I switched to walking outdoors. I've had a hard time getting/staying motivated to row because I tend to get bored. I've listened to audiobooks, music, sermons, etc, and the result is the same. I can't hear a TV over the sound of the rower. Have any of you found this to be the case for you and if so, what do you do to keep from getting bored? I signed up for the C2 challenge on the MFP friends team, and I'd like to make a difference.

Thanks! Malene

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard Malene,
    i just concentrate on the monitor,watching form,stroke speed (spm) and avg pace over 500m.
    its an individual thing,i would suggest maybe more short intervals like rowing 1000/2000m repeats to break it up.
    the conceptc2.com also has plenty of tips and advice too.
    glad to have you with us.
  • robinrows
    robinrows Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I treat it a bit like strenuous meditation! I have one eye on the pace and then my mind wanders off to a far far away place!
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi Malene :)

I think boredom can be a real issue but with a bit of trial and error you should find something that works for you, it's worth it! I've found a good pre-workout can really help with focus.

Although it may not be of great use to you as you already have a superb machine in the C2, I thought I'd just mention this in case it affects anyone else; I was also troubled by the noise issue and, after going through a couple of machines, this was the main reason I ultimately opted for a fluid rower. Yes, it's understandably not the most popular choice and support/comradery isn't up to the Concept standard, but I took the approach that if I didn't use it then there was no point in me having a C2. As it is, the fluid rower lets me workout at home and watch the TV/music, I can even do it while the Mrs is watching her own progs (not my favored option though - eek!!)

Stick with it and I'm sure you'll soon be so focused the time will fly by anyway.

Best of luck
  • sunship
    sunship Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    netflix with subtitles and earplugs - watching still game now - a savior!
  • freeinHim
    freeinHim Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all...thanks for your replies, I really appreciate your input! This evening, I decided to bite the bullet and pick up a bluetooth enabled computer for RowPro and the ability to stream movies, etc. After getting on the rower a handful of times and my inability to stay in the seat beyond ten minutes, it should be a good option. And, I'm sure my neighbors will much appreciate that I'll be able to put headphones on to listen to the computer, rather than the high volume. :smile: I'm looking forward to regular rowing sessions and all the benefits that come with it!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    There is no way I'd be able to focus on power/rhythm/rate whilst watching the TV at the same time!

I guess there are 3 things that prevent boredom for me: purpose, focus and company.

I am on the ergo because I want to get better in the boat. That's my purpose.

Twice a week I erg with the crew, that is never boring - so if you're into rowing get some other rowers to train with you. We really keep each other motivated and competitive.

Twice a week I also erg by myself, and really have to focus on keeping the rhythm/rate consistent as well as keeping my wattage up without someone to follow so that occupies a lot of brain space. Then during the warmups which tend to be lower power/rating and the most likely to get boring I focus on technique so:- hands away, body over, back straight, calm up the slide, quick catch, engage core, drive legs, swing through etc. Something to think about really helps.