2016 Biking resolutions

Options
Hi bikers, How about talking out what your resolutions or fitness plans are for 2016?

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    1. Get back to some semblance of fitness, after recovering fully from my "cardiac episode" 3 months ago.
    2. Get Back Outside, instead of bashing the indoor trainer to bits.
    3. Be fit enough to ride in some of the MFP Cycling Challenges over in the Century+ Cycling Group I'm hoping to be around to run Next Year.
    4. and finally - Not to die in the process of performing the above three resolutions...

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Most of my 2016 goals revolve around running (planning on another half marathon), but I also want to get in a century ride this year!
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    1. More overnight bike packing trips
    2. Complete the century that last year I cut short by 3 miles
    3. Never let the weather force me on to the trainer. I have a fat bike, gravel bike and winter gear. No excuses!
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    #1 - Ride more
    #2 - Ride more
    #3 - Ride more
    #4 - Ride faster
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to do one Metric Century ride each month of the year. And yes, bikepacking is also something I want to do next year. In general I plan to keep setting monthly biking goals and ride the wheels off my bike!
  • Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi bikers, How about talking out what your resolutions or fitness plans are for 2016?

• Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Same as last year...
    Ride bikes.
    Have fun.
    Drink beer.
    Repeat frequently.

Would like to get more trail time and better this year's mileage but I just want to continue enjoying life on the bike. Never know where it will take me!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get to 150lbs. I think this will really help me with my MTBing.
    I want to improve my technical skills and endurance, ride up Mt. Falcon, and down Lair the Bear (a local big, technical loop), riding most of it. This is mainly to prepare for a difficult race (The Gunnison Half Growler) that I've already signed up for.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Riding around the new city
    And ride some more and repeat as often as possible.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    lpherman01 wrote: »
    #1 - Ride more
    #2 - Ride more
    #3 - Ride more
    #4 - Ride faster

This /\

Plus ride some Sportives in 2016 with the Bedale club ;)
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Get back to Manchester in Oct.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I developed big goals last year and didn't follow through. Something up there but that shouldn't surprise me. My house is full of half done projects. I guess I would rather get back to the idea of riding for fun more and just enjoying it instead of making mile goals. I seemed to do much better on that type of plan. Maybe it needs to just be one step at a time rather than a whole year out.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    mrron2u wrote: »
    I am wanting to do one Metric Century ride each month of the year. And yes, bikepacking is also something I want to do next year. In general I plan to keep setting monthly biking goals and ride the wheels off my bike!

To be a little more specific - I finished my first metric century ride yesterday and had a lot of alone time on that ride to think about next year. I am within 65 miles of having ridden 1000 miles this year. That being said I have the following goals this next year.

Ride 2000 miles in 2016.
    Ride at least 1 mile per day for every day of 2016.
    Ride 6 metric century rides in 2016 (roughly 1 every other month).
    Lose more weight - I need to get under 300 pounds - It will help my riding immensely!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Most of my goals are race-related or race-specific.
    1. Get w/kg above 3.0 at FTP. This means losing the 15 lbs I've been screwing around with for months and adding at least 10% to FTP.
    2. Spend more time on my TT bike in the early season to prepare for races.
    3. Place top 5 in NC/SC state TT championship in June as a Cat 5.
    4. Finish at least mid-pack in NC Cat 5 Road Race championship race
    5. Finish in the pack in at least one criterium.
    6. Don't burn myself out racing over the summer, come fresher into 'cross season.
    7. Do at least 10 cyclocross races in 2016.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Main goal...

Finish in the top 50% of my field in Cat 4 CX. Fields are usually 100+.

Stretch goal...

Top 30 of those races.
  • mogginsthemog
    mogginsthemog Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Having got a new lighter weight Giant, I plan to explore many of the country, traffic free lanes nearby. Since the onset of hip trouble some years ago, I've slacked off. That's now fixed and there's no excuses left. 15-20 milers at weekends should be feasable by Spring..
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    1. 3,000 outdoor miles in 2016
    2. At least one century ride
    3. Take the road bike with me to NC and find somewhere new to ride
    4. Make it to Utah earlier in the year (instead of a snowy November), so I can MTB Moab
    5. Buy a "real" MTB and learn to ride without getting scared of everything or flipping over the handlebars
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My goals for 2016 are:

Weight Loss

61kg by Apr 1, probably 59-60kg by May 31st - Self explanatory, weight loss is needed if I'm to play effectively on the more prominent stages

Nutrition
    Average less than 1 soda per week for 2016
    Less than 5% calories from junk food for 2016
    Up protein intake slightly to ensure 1.5 g/kg of body weight

I think those two goals about take care of it for me. If I eat clean, my diet is good. I get lots of fruits/vegatables, and if I am to succeed in that 5% calories goal I can't afford to do any binge or mindless eating.

Performance Goals - These are very ambitious, but also I think achievable with the weight loss and asking for about a 5-7% improvement in power across the board. That's a decent bit, maybe a stretch, but it's what I'm shooting for.

1' Power - Goal: 600w, 10 w/kg, Current: 567w, 8.45 w/kg
    5' Power - Goal: 410w, 6.8 w/kg, Current: 392w, 5.85 w/kg
    20' Power - Goal: 340w, 5.7w/kg, Current: 319w, 4.76 w/kg
    60' Power - Goal: 315w, 5.25 w/kg, Current: 296w, 4.42 w/kg

Race Goals:
    -At least one Cat4 RR/stage win
    -Pikes Peak HC win, sub 1:17
    -Podium or better at all HC races this season.
  • wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    over 3000 miles
    over 150000ft climbing
    at least 1 century ride
    lose at least 7lbs
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Got my first road bike (since I was a teenager) for Christmas. Going to try for my first 1k this year. I have no idea what a good goal for me would be, but I figure I could swing this.