Options
oremgirl1
oremgirl1 Posts: 59 Member
Once you have completed your first run/walk post your results here

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I'll do that tomorrow, need to run inside due to cold and people burning things :(
  • rebeccaahola894
    rebeccaahola894 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have to be really careful as I am returning to running from injury (My knees don't track properly which caused me issues over my last half marathon). Today I started out one minute running 3 minute walking. I will do this for a week and then up it to 1/2. Still I am pain free so that's good!
  • oremgirl1
    Options
    I have to be really careful as I am returning to running from injury (My knees don't track properly which caused me issues over my last half marathon). Today I started out one minute running 3 minute walking. I will do this for a week and then up it to 1/2. Still I am pain free so that's good!

Good for you! I am starting at the beginning too. I just finished my initial run/walk.
  • oremgirl1
    Options
    So I did 1.59 miles and I am alive to tell about :). The 1/2 I want to sign up for opens registration in the morning. I have a long road ahead but I am going to do this.
  • iceqieen
    Options
    Well done both of you :)

I did run/walk intervals on a treadmill, 3.2km/2 miles in 25 minutes. Managed 12km/h for only 30sek, but at least my legs felt comfortable on 10-11km/h it's just the breathing and heartrate needs catching up to continue at that state.
  • rebeccaahola894
    Options
    I did a run/walk 2.5miles in half an hour (4k). 10-11km/h is great Rosa! Next week Ill try to get up to 10kph. This week my run sections were at 9kph. I have always been slow though. One of my goals is to increase my speed this time around. My last half was in 2hr 48 minutes. I want to do my next one in 2.5hrs. Well done guys! Starting again is the hardest part I think!
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi all! I did my first run of 2016 yesterday. I did three miles in 33 minutes. Distance is definitely my goal this year, but it's hard on a treadmill. It's cold here in the winter, so treadmill running will be my life until about April. The half I want to sign up for isn't until September, so I'll start fully training for it once I can start running outside again.
  • rebeccaahola894
    Options
    That's a great time! I ran 5k (3.1miles) in 40mins. A bit woeful but I hope to get that down to 35 next week
  • runollierun
    runollierun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You guys are all so much faster than me. My fastest mile is 13:11 and that's at a pace I can't maintain. My half is the first Sunday in April and my goal is simply not to be last. For a 5k, I'm averaging around 56-57 minutes. I haven't actually tried running the entire time because the app I'm using has me walking then running.
  • deniseteas
    deniseteas Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    im having a really hard time with the running...having a hard time getting my breathing right and I find its hard on my knees...any tips? maybe just "growing pains" while doing something new to my body?
  • iceqieen
    Options
    deniseteas wrote: »
    im having a really hard time with the running...having a hard time getting my breathing right and I find its hard on my knees...any tips? maybe just "growing pains" while doing something new to my body?

my advice, but ofc someone with more experience/knowledge might want to chime in ;)

Pain in knees:
    Walking (and then running) up and down stairs/steep hills helped me, as well as any strength-related exercise for legs. Just dont push it to injury.

Breathing:
    Slow down and focus on breathing instead of speed, then when you've got that you can speed up again.
  • iceqieen
    Options
    You guys are all so much faster than me. My fastest mile is 13:11 and that's at a pace I can't maintain. My half is the first Sunday in April and my goal is simply not to be last. For a 5k, I'm averaging around 56-57 minutes. I haven't actually tried running the entire time because the app I'm using has me walking then running.

Just focus on distance, and the speed will come :) When you are ready you can switch to jog/run or run/sprint instead of walk/run but finishing the race is more important than doing so in X minutes :) If you are concerned you can probably look up last years time for that run and see what the 10 slowest were. It's different between races so best if you can find that particular race. Then you have something specific to aim at. But dont feel like you have to, everyone takes this at their own speed.
  • BJerzy
    BJerzy Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I too am recovering from a knee issue but I really want to sign up for a half in October. Part of the problem is I psych myself out thinking about my knee pain. I bought a copper sleeve and that seems to be helping so hopefully I can train for real this time. I ran a half once before and it took me 3:46...but because I messed up my knee I didn't run much the three months leading up to it. I was just so happy to finish. If I sign up for this next run, I have to finish in three hours so I need to progress slowly so I don't injure myself.

I ran outside for the first time yesterday. I did a mile and a half in 18:30. Right now I can run faster on the treadmill because of all the hills where I run outside, so I don't include my treadmill runs as a real time.
  • jenmacy
    jenmacy Posts: 26 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi! Joined a bit late, but I've been training on my own for a while now and feel like motivation always helps so found this group. I don't recall what my initial run/time was when I first started (I think about 3km in 20 minutes or so), but my longest run recently was 10km in 58 minutes. The half marathon I signed up for is the first week of September.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
    Good luck to all who are working towards this goal!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    First "race" in about 25 years: Run the Hook, Sandy hook NJ May 15, 5K 29:09. Second, Memorial Day, Ridgewood, NJ 5K 28:28. Have signed up for another 5K in July, a 4 Miler in August and, gasp, a Half Marathon in September.

Hi. ;-)