Introduction

Options
Hello - My name is Beck. I'm from Cairns, Australia. Last year I ran the Melbourne half (as well as a few 10k runs). After the Melbourne half my knees were too sore to run anymore. I saw a surgeon and he said my knees don't track properly and running was causing the joints to grind. I have done a bunch of stuff to try to fix them. Today I have started running again! Very slowly at first but I am scared of injury. My next half probably wont be until November when I will run the Port Douglas Half but I may choose one before that; Ill see how I go. Part of my preparation is losing a heap of weight I have to lose. This will also help my knees. It would be great to have (and give) support on here!

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Rosa and I live in Norway (from Iceland).

I ran a 1/2 marathon last year, my max distance was 10k the year before that, 8k the year before that, and 5k before that, yay for c25k. This year I plan to do 3 1/2 marathons (Bergen, Reykjavik, Oslo).. first one in april/may and then one in august and one in sept/okt. It will be a challenge since I haven't been running the past 6 months or so... meebs! Haven't been completely stationary either, but walk/bike isn't quite the same as running. Started going out now for really short runs to wake up the legs but will see how far I can go today indoors. Proper 1/2 marathon training starts 7.feb but untill then I want to get myself back to being comfortable with 5k+

I have a running partner, at the moment we are on a different level so I'll have to catch up.
  • iceqieen
    Options
    Hello - My name is Beck.... Part of my preparation is losing a heap of weight I have to lose. This will also help my knees. It would be great to have (and give) support on here!

hi!

yubb less weight helps. I found that doing hill runs helps as well. I guess it strengthens the support muscles or something like that. I had to do them for the Bergen 1/2 last year (its allot of up and downs) and found that my knees were allot better than when I was running on even ground (mostly, you cant find complete even ground here in Bergen there's always a bit up or down)

• rebeccaahola894
    rebeccaahola894 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I checked out the Bergen half online - looks beautiful but hilly!
  • iceqieen
    Options
    I checked out the Bergen half online - looks beautiful but hilly!

it is! I was told afterwards that I should've done the Oslo half as a first instead.. but I was happy. It is where I live anyway so used to hills. It's very scenic, and goes past all the central tourist/historic spots of Bergen.
  • oremgirl1
    oremgirl1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My name is Becky and the host of this group. I am 47 years old and weigh 241 pounds. I have battled weight issues the majority of my life. I few years ago I started running and that was the first time my weight actually began to drop. Unfortunately, my 5k training uncovered some other health issues I was not previously aware of. I had to stop with my running to get some other things under control. My weight crept back up again. I now have better control over the other issues so I am adding the running back in. Today I registered for the Half Marathon that sparked this group. I have 25 weeks until race day. I am starting from the beginning since it has been so long since my last real run. I sounds like both Beck and Rosa have half marathon experience. I am so excited to learn from everyone and hopefully we can motivate each other through this journey.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    HI! I'm Jess and I live in Wisconsin, USA. I started running with the C25k app almost a year ago. Since I started running, I've done a handful of 5ks, a five mile race, and a 10k. I decided that this year I am going to do a half marathon. The one I'm looking at is in September, so I have quite a while to train. Since it's winter here now and freaking cold, I am doing all of my running on a treadmill. I loathe the treadmill, but it's better than not running at all and it's really only for a few months until we get back into the 40's. I plan on starting my training in April/May so I can do all of the long runs outside. It sounds like we have a diverse group of runners here!
  • Gr84cstr
    Gr84cstr Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been running half marathons since 2007, but have been "off the wagon" for 90 days and am getting back into the swing of things. I am doing a P90X3 program with half marathon training mixed in. I do not have any particular races planned, but I hope to be ready to enter one by late April.
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello all! My name is Matt, and I will be running a half marathon in May. I have never actually run in a road race, only on my own so I'm really excited to take on this goal and check this off my bucket list! I'll be running a Valentine's Day 5-mile race in preparation. I am currently running 3 miles pretty comfortably so I'm looking forward to pushing myself out of that comfort zone.

My main motivation is the accomplishment of it but second to that is I really want to lose 25 pounds. My wife and I welcomed our first child in September and during the pregnancy and thereafter I put on a few pounds. No I want to set a good example for her and get the most out of every day!

Glad to be in the group! Good luck! 2016 is going to rock!
  • rebeccaahola894
    Options
    Hey Matt, good luck with your training. It was when I was able to run 3mile (5k for me) that I decided to do my half marathon. It is a great base to build from. I also had to lose about the same amount of weight. It is amazing how much easier it gets when the weight comes off. Now I have to do all of that all over again! It doesn't matter though, the training is part of the fun.
  • VictoriaLandis
    VictoriaLandis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am training for the Cleveland Rite Aid half in May. My longest so far is a 5k with the very impressive time of 42 minutes. I am very slow. I entered the walking division 13 minute mile pace with my old college room mate. So I have a ways to go. Glad I found this group.
  • oremgirl1
    Options
    I am training for the Cleveland Rite Aid half in May. My longest so far is a 5k with the very impressive time of 42 minutes. I am very slow. I entered the walking division 13 minute mile pace with my old college room mate. So I have a ways to go. Glad I found this group.

Welcome. We have people at all training levels and I have already had some great feedback.
  • oremgirl1
    Options
    SlimEsq wrote: »
    Hello all! My name is Matt, and I will be running a half marathon in May. I have never actually run in a road race, only on my own so I'm really excited to take on this goal and check this off my bucket list! I'll be running a Valentine's Day 5-mile race in preparation. I am currently running 3 miles pretty comfortably so I'm looking forward to pushing myself out of that comfort zone.

My main motivation is the accomplishment of it but second to that is I really want to lose 25 pounds. My wife and I welcomed our first child in September and during the pregnancy and thereafter I put on a few pounds. No I want to set a good example for her and get the most out of every day!

Glad to be in the group! Good luck! 2016 is going to rock!

Thanks for joining us Matt!
  • rebeccaahola894
    Options
    Hi Matt! Good luck with all your goals :)
  • meggo
    meggo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm late to join, but I've started running again. I would really love to have a half marathon checked off by the end of this year. So far I have only run 5ks, and would really like encouragement from a group to continue pushing myself. Currently doing runs on the treadmill due to ice/snow, but hoping to get outdoors soon enough! Good luck everyone and great job so far!!